Recommendations on Balsamic Vinegar?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I love balsamic vinegar with olive oil for dipping. And on summer tomatoes and salads. We usually buy random stuff in the supermarket. Sometimes they are good. Sometimes they are awful like the one I just had to throw in trash on first taste.

Looking a bit online, the #1 choice for somewhat high-end is Villa Manodori at $33/bottle ($3.30 an ounce).

That is at the limit of what I want to pay but if it is good, I will get it. It is #1 on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Villa-Manodor...sbs_gro_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1185KB1CCXREHH4K8WS8

Another search showed this much more reasonable Academia Barilla at just $10 (60 cents an ounce):

Few reviews but very positive: http://www.amazon.com/Academia-Barilla-Balsamic-Vinegar-Modena/dp/B000H454SC

It was the #1 choice from Goodhousekeeping web site.

So let's see your recommendations please! Would be nice to be able to buy on Amazon.

And oh, the horrible one was Alessi brand and looked like this:

It had a mediciney taste taste that I have not seen before. Just awful.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Manicardi Botticella Oro is my favorite and I use it without any oil. It's delicious on anything and everything, even ice cream.

I save it for Gail and myself when we have dinner.

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
I love balsamic vinegar with olive oil for dipping. And on summer tomatoes and salads. We usually buy random stuff in the supermarket. Sometimes they are good. Sometimes they are awful like the one I just had to throw in trash on first taste.

Looking a bit online, the #1 choice for somewhat high-end is Villa Manodori at $33/bottle ($3.30 an ounce).

That is at the limit of what I want to pay but if it is good, I will get it. It is #1 on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Villa-Manodor...sbs_gro_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1185KB1CCXREHH4K8WS8

Another search showed this much more reasonable Academia Barilla at just $10 (60 cents an ounce):

Few reviews but very positive: http://www.amazon.com/Academia-Barilla-Balsamic-Vinegar-Modena/dp/B000H454SC

It was the #1 choice from Goodhousekeeping web site.

So let's see your recommendations please! Would be nice to be able to buy on Amazon.

And oh, the horrible one was Alessi brand and looked like this:

It had a mediciney taste taste that I have not seen before. Just awful.
Sorry to disappoint you but at the price points you mention unlikely you will get real balsamic vinegar.
For a good balsamic vinegar, it needs to be 5 years old at minimum. I rather go for 8 or 10 years. And am even using 40 years old with strawberry and whipped cream...
Tastes evolve a lot as it ages.
Try to find brands like Leonardi. One of my favorite and you should be able to buy online from companies exporting the best of Italian food.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Sorry to disappoint you but at the price points you mention unlikely you will get real balsamic vinegar.
For a good balsamic vinegar, it needs to be 5 years old at minimum. I rather go for 8 or 10 years.
??? The first one had this description:

This Villa Manodori Balsamic Vinegar is lovingly crafted by Chef Massimo Bottura of Modena Italy. Made in limited quantities from locally grown trebbiano grapes, it is aged a minimum of 10 to 15 years before it is sold.

Try to find brands like Leonardi. One of my favorite and you should be able to buy online from companies exporting the best of Italian food.
Amazon has a number with that name in it. Not sure which one is the real deal: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...alsamic vinegar&sprefix=Leonardi+,grocery,389

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Manicardi Botticella Oro is my favorite and I use it without any oil. It's delicious on anything and everything, even ice cream.

I save it for Gail and myself when we have dinner.
Looks like that is $50 a bottle. I should have said I love to use a lot of this stuff so at these prices, I have to give up all the other hobbies :). How about more down to earth choices guys. Help out a frugal gourmet here.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
There are many types of Balsamic vinegar. The most expensive one are called Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale. Take note of the word Tradizionale. They can only be made from Modena and Reggio Emilia and approved by a consortium. They are made from grape must and must be aged at least 12 years. They can only be sold as 100ml bottle.

The other types of Balsamic vinegar are Condimento grade balsamic vinegar. They are usually a mixture of grape must and wine vinegar. They are much cheaper can be sold in any size of the bottle.

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
??? The first one had this description:

This Villa Manodori Balsamic Vinegar is lovingly crafted by Chef Massimo Bottura of Modena Italy. Made in limited quantities from locally grown trebbiano grapes, it is aged a minimum of 10 to 15 years before it is sold.

Amazon has a number with that name in it. Not sure which one is the real deal: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...alsamic vinegar&sprefix=Leonardi+,grocery,389
I have lived for a long time in Italy, and have been passionate about balsamic vinegar for a long time. There is no way that a real balsamic vinegar of 10 to 15 years would cost so little- just compare it to the Lenoardi listing you found on Amazon, a 15 years old small bottle costs 97USD, and even in Italy it would be more than 50euros. Also, it is the first time I see a description as giving a range of years (10 to 15 years): it doesn't make sense, check on wikipedia how balsamic vinegar is done, what you get guaranteed is a minimum age.

In the link you sent I would take the following:
- the minimum to have something good: 5 years old at 42USD (Acetaia Leonardi La Corte 5 Year Old Balsamic Vinegar 8.45 Oz.). Good with salad. For just dips, the 3 years old at 28USD will also be eatable. And much better than anything you would buy in your local supermarket... but it is not REAL balsamic vinegar yet.
- if you want to taste what is really balsamic vinegar, you need to go for 10 years minimum- and rather 12 or 15 years. Taste is completely different: thicker, sweet. Try this 15 years old at 97USD:
Acetaia Leonardi 15 Year Aged Balsamic Vinegar Condimento Balsamico Dispensa 15.
- then for something really special you can take an extravecchio (30, 40 or 60 years). This is either eaten pure on a tea spoon, or in drops on strawberries with whipped cream, etc. Very expensive.

There are a lot of other good brands. Lenoardi tend to have less acidity than others I have tried, depends what you like.
And as Adyc mentioned, if you buy a traditional balsamic vinegar, they are bought only in round 100ml bottles, and much more expensive. I personally don't find that the price difference between a 12 years traditionale and a good 15 years to be justified. You would pay typically 20-30% more for a traditionale one, but you have the guarantee it is going to be good as controlled by the consortium

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
How about more down to earth choices guys. Help out a frugal gourmet here.

Nothing wrong with being frugal, but think about how you plan to use the product.
I have varying quality going up the food chain for items, be it salt, pepper, oils, spices,etc....
Will the product get used during the process or at the end to enhance as a finish. The uniqueness of the Hi-end will be likely lost when used early. Save the good stuff for when it counts the most.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
We use the Kirkland Modena from Costco for our every day balsamic vinegar, primarily for salad dressing.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks guys. I guess what I was really asking is what is a step up from supermarket ones. I don't have sufficient appreciation for balsamic to go for the real stuff :).

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Amir,

Contact Marx Food in Seattle. Great selection of balsamic and other high quality groceries. They do Amazon delivery. In the same building as Fat Cork, the bespoke champagne importer. Great tastings!

http://www.marxfoods.com/Seattle-Retail-Shop

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
We use the Kirkland Modena from Costco for our every day balsamic vinegar, primarily for salad dressing.

That's what I use as well.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Amir,

Contact Marx Food in Seattle. Great selection of balsamic and other high quality groceries. They do Amazon delivery. In the same building as Fat Cork, the bespoke champagne importer. Great tastings!

http://www.marxfoods.com/Seattle-Retail-Shop
Most excellent! Didn't know about this market. Will visit in person and order via Amazon if I can't make it there often! Thanks Doc.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Most excellent! Didn't know about this market. Will visit in person and order via Amazon if I can't make it there often! Thanks Doc.

If you are interested, I can send you an invite to the next Fat Cork champagne tasting and you can visit Marx right next door.

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
Thanks guys. I guess what I was really asking is what is a step up from supermarket ones. I don't have sufficient appreciation for balsamic to go for the real stuff :).
Hey! remember you were posting on "what's best" forum, what did you expect! ;-)

joke aside, I think it is worth for you to buy once the real thing. Just to understand what you are missing (it is like going from a Bose system to real audio....)

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
One of the joys of perusing the North End in Boston are the shops all too eager for you to taste the gamut of imported product. Balsamics since it has peaked in popularity, is certainly a popular one.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

We do too for everyday use.

Looks like that is $50 a bottle. I should have said I love to use a lot of this stuff so at these prices, I have to give up all the other hobbies :). How about more down to earth choices guys. Help out a frugal gourmet here.

That's why I said I save it for special dinners.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing