Robert Plant rips up £500M contract for LZ to tour.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Most people would be pissing themselves for that contract. I suppose Robert Plant does not need the money though.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I suspect it is a lot of drudgery to go and sing old songs over and over again if you don't need the money. So I can appreciate him turning it down. But as a fan I would have wanted to hear their new rendition of old songs :).

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
With that kind of payout and only 35 dates I wonder what the ticket prices would have been?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Assuming 35,000 people (?) at 35 events, we get about 1.2 million buyers. So the ticket would have to average $400 just for that. The organizers would want to at least double their money so we are up to $800. You are right. The math doesn't add up.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I saw the Page & Plant tour in 1994 and 1995. It was about as close to a Led Zeppelin concert you could ever get w/o seeing an actual LZ concert back in the day. He probably felt that was enough.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Tea Party Boston
Early 69'
Was home on leave getting acquainted with BCN
Fav concert there was
Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger & the Trinity. They could play anything
Did miss out on Green's Mac, though.

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
I think it is about Robert Plant's respect for the music. He has stated before that he can't wail like he used to, so any attempt to reproduce the original singing would be futile. He has learned and adapted to a new way of singing and doesn't have anything to prove by going backwards, IMHO.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
I think it is about Robert Plant's respect for the music. He has stated before that he can't wail like he used to, so any attempt to reproduce the original singing would be futile. He has learned and adapted to a new way of singing and doesn't have anything to prove by going backwards, IMHO.

I believe that's it in a nutshell. No one wants to risk being remembered as a has-been, even if he is quite good in a different way. Then, there is the ability of the others to consider, as well. It's better to be remembered as a legendary band than one that attempted to return only to have lackluster results.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I believe that's it in a nutshell. No one wants to risk being remembered as a has-been, even if he is quite good in a different way. Then, there is the ability of the others to consider, as well. It's better to be remembered as a legendary band than one that attempted to return only to have lackluster results.

That pretty much conveys what I think about it as well. I'll gladly live with the memories!

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
That pretty much conveys what I think about it as well. I'll gladly live with the memories!

Besides, I seriously doubt if I could get a strange nineteen year-old girl to sit on my shoulders like I did the last time I saw them. Even if I did somehow manage, I doubt if my back would stand up to it. :D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
If not for myself, I would have done it for my bandmates. Especially the son of an old friend that's passed away. Then again, I'm a spring chicken compared. Age and health have got to be a factor in this decision. I'm not buying the "doesn't feel right" line.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
If not for myself, I would have done it for my bandmates. Especially the son of an old friend that's passed away. Then again, I'm a spring chicken compared. Age and health have got to be a factor in this decision. I'm not buying the "doesn't feel right" line.

Jack -If I knew I couldn't cut the mustard any longer, why would I subject myself to possible ridicule and the inevitable comments of "He only did it for the money". With regard to Jason Bonham....why would he even factor into this? There is no doubt that Jason is a very good drummer in his own right, but the draw here is Robert and Jimmy for the vast majority of fans.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Plant pulled off a good vocal performance on the reunion concert a few years ago. He simply does not want to waste a year of his life doing something he does not want to do (he can't stand JP Jones, among other factors) for a pile of money he does not need . Good for him.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Well done, Mr. Plant.

Tim

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Jack -If I knew I couldn't cut the mustard any longer, why would I subject myself to possible ridicule and the inevitable comments of "He only did it for the money". With regard to Jason Bonham....why would he even factor into this? There is no doubt that Jason is a very good drummer in his own right, but the draw here is Robert and Jimmy for the vast majority of fans.

I look at it this way. I was 10 when John Lennon was killed. I couldn't believe it. I remember being so sad because I knew I'd never get to see a reunion happen. Yet, I hoped the others would still get on stage together and I would get a chance to see that. Then George died. I think it was last year that Paul and Ringo were supposed to perform together (Grammy's?). It didn't happen.

Here there's a chance of Plant and Page doing it just one more time. Frankly I don't mind if they're past their prime. One last go.

If there's one thing I didn't like about the proposed tour it was how Branson cheesed it up. That airplane stairs thing. Ugh.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I look at it this way. I was 10 when John Lennon was killed. I couldn't believe it. I remember being so sad because I knew I'd never get to see a reunion happen. Yet, I hoped the others would still get on stage together and I would get a chance to see that. Then George died. I think it was last year that Paul and Ringo were supposed to perform together (Grammy's?). It didn't happen.

Here there's a chance of Plant and Page doing it just one more time. Frankly I don't mind if they're past their prime. One last go.

If there's one thing I didn't like about the proposed tour it was how Branson cheesed it up. That airplane stairs thing. Ugh.

We agree on that for sure!

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA

Branson at a Bill Clinton climate meeting said he would donate 3 BILLION dollars; no one has seen a single dollar of that donation.

I will repeat my Post #2: Good for Robert Plant. I would like to read all the fine print of that >>>Branson<<< contract. Do not forget to read between the lines & contracts have very nasty gray areas [ £500M can de-materialize to gray foggy mist].
zz.

P.S. about tickets amirm wrote: "so we are up to $800. You are right. The math doesn't add up."

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing