Has anyone ever used cables from this company

MC352

Aug 27, 2010
CT
The company that makes these cables is right down the road from me.
I wonder if anyone ever used their cables and if so, what you thought of them.

http://www.goertzaudio.com

Thanks

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I have not, but it looks interesting. I don't really buy that transmission line effects matter at audio frequencies for typical installations, so I would have used a thicker intermediate dielectric to achieve low capacitance as well as relatively low inductance rather than going for a low-Z cable with relatively high capacitance. That's a pretty hefty capacitive load, though probably in the mud as far as the amp and speaker are concerned... - Don

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I have not, but it looks interesting. I don't really buy that transmission line effects matter at audio frequencies for typical installations, so I would have used a thicker intermediate dielectric to achieve low capacitance as well as relatively low inductance rather than going for a low-Z cable with relatively high capacitance. That's a pretty hefty capacitive load, though probably in the mud as far as the amp and speaker are concerned... - Don

Don: Think you're right about the electrical properties and possible interactions. Years ago, had the speaker cables in and didn't like them between my cj amps and Martin-Logans. One thing I remember is that they were in my system, rolled off and congested. OTOH, one of my colleagues had good success with the speaker cables between his Modjeski amplifiers and smaller Genesis speakers.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
A good friend who built his own 2a3 amp said his amp couldn't handle the Alpha. He went with generic 12-guage instead.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Thanks Myles. We've all experienced that sort of thing... I think that's one reason there's so much debate about cables in particular. As I have noted elsewhere, the measurements don't mean anything if they are not done in the right environment. Interactions among components and cables aren't all that hard to measure, but it takes a lot of gear and knowledge most audiophiles do not have.

I spent a lot of time finding good cables to run from my old tube preamp to my amp, looking mainly for very low capacitance since the impedances were so high. In a SS system, I'd probably trade higher capacitance for lower inductance and resistance due to the much lower impedances (source and load).

It all has to play nice together to sound good... - Don

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Thanks Myles. We've all experienced that sort of thing... I think that's one reason there's so much debate about cables in particular. As I have noted elsewhere, the measurements don't mean anything if they are not done in the right environment. Interactions among components and cables aren't all that hard to measure, but it takes a lot of gear and knowledge most audiophiles do not have.

I spent a lot of time finding good cables to run from my old tube preamp to my amp, looking mainly for very low capacitance since the impedances were so high. In a SS system, I'd probably trade higher capacitance for lower inductance and resistance due to the much lower impedances (source and load).

It all has to play nice together to sound good... - Don

Yes and there are special instances where the cable's electrical properties are exceedingly important eg. matching the impedance of the head block in a R2R machine!

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
Save your money for better speakers or a more powerful amplifier.
Get some good Monoprice cables and move on. Nothing to see here...

"And he opened the Door and let the Light of Truth flood the formerly darkened church..."

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Save your money for better speakers or a more powerful amplifier.
Get some good Monoprice cables and move on. Nothing to see here...

"And he opened the Door and let the Light of Truth flood the formerly darkened church..."

Yep, quantity over quality strikes again. Zippity do da, zippity day, oh my ears are aching for another day.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
A good friend who built his own 2a3 amp said his amp couldn't handle the Alpha. He went with generic 12-guage instead.

I had simiilar issues with a Theta amp and decided that the Alphas were too problemmatic to bother with. The interconnects were unexceptional.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing