Magico Mini 2

Sonus

Jul 7, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
Looks great!

Have you consider using sub(s) with the mini's?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Looks great!

I think PeterA has posted elsewhere that he has tried unsuccessfully to mate JL Audio subs (so high quality stuff). There was some consideration i thought for the new QSub in terms of its capability and natural 'synergy' given its a Magico sub...but then there is that small matter of cost!

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Looks great!

Thanks Sonus. I did try a pair of JL Audio F110s. They added extension but detracted slightly from the midrange clarity and resolution of the Mini 2s, so I sold them. I Qsub would be great, but it is expensive and massive for my old and small living room, built in the 1790s. I would have to reinforce the floor. The two spaces to either side of the fireplace are already crowded and perhaps contributed to the problems with the F110s.

I would love to someday move up to the Q3 or to some future Magico speaker derived from the M Project. I just love the curved from baffle and sides which are very reminiscent of the Mini2 shape. Perhaps a new M Mini on a carbon/aluminum curved stand like the Mini. Dreaming.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Before buying the Magico Mini 2, I listened extensively to the V2 and V3 models. I also heard the M5 a few times. The V2 was the first Magico speaker I listened to and an experience I will never forget. For the first time I understood what people meant by great sound. It was full of detail, a real 3D image, beautiful tone and above all, very convincing. It sounded like music. The V3 had more low frequency extension but lacked coherency or driver integration in the system I heard. The Mini 2 was clearly better than either of the V models. Built to an extremely high standard, it is highly resolving, has great extension for a two way, disappears as a sound source and looks great. There is a naturalness and ease to the music. My mind was made up and I bought a pair replacing my former Eggleston Rosa speakers.

I listen mostly to small scale classical, jazz and vocal music. My room is small and it serves as our formal living room, so I am somewhat restricted by what kind of speaker I can have. The Mini 2 just sounds wonderful and it will take quite a speaker for me to replace it in my system.

To read more about my system and room, here is a link to my WBF system page: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?12853-Sublime-Sound

number95

May 14, 2014
Beautiful system! Loved your turntable...

number95

May 14, 2014
Thank you numer95. There is not much discussion about SME turntables in the forums these days, and I don't know many people who have them, but the 30/12A is really good. It just sounds right to me.

I still remember my first listening of Magico Mini speakers years ago as my first Magico experience (with Krell EVO 400). I was amazed by the midrange clarity and bass strength from a two way monitor. I also assume your speakers are remarkably better than original Mini. With SME 30/12 + V-12 arm and Transparent cables (I am very familiar with Transparent), you should have an audio nirvana at home! Contrary to some, I am fond of two way speakers in terms of clarity, naturalness and purity. Magico Minis also add some bass strength w/o sacrificing midrange clarity IMHO.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I almost purchased the first pair of Minis I listened to. In fact, I think you Peter actually bought that same pair. They sounded great! Much better than the V2 or V3. I loved them and was going to downsize from the Wilson X-1s at the time. Chickened out and went and bought a pair of Alexandrias instead. Loved that Magico sound though.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I still remember my first listening of Magico Mini speakers years ago as my first Magico experience (with Krell EVO 400). I was amazed by the midrange clarity and bass strength from a two way monitor. I also assume your speakers are remarkably better than original Mini. With SME 30/12 + V-12 arm and Transparent cables (I am very familiar with Transparent), you should have an audio nirvana at home! Contrary to some, I am fond of two way speakers in terms of clarity, naturalness and purity. Magico Minis also add some bass strength w/o sacrificing midrange clarity IMHO.

number95, your description of the Mini is very much what I hear with the Mini 2, though I have never heard the original Mini. The Mini 2 is apparently more extended in the bass. For a two-way speaker, it is remarkably "complete" sounding. Extremely coherent, very pure midrange, as you say, and really missing very little besides, lower extension and scale. I would love to have a Q3 for my smallish room. And as I have improved the electronics, cables and front end, the Mini 2 allows me to hear it all.

Congratulations on the M Project. That should be an incredible speaker. I look very forward to seeing the future development of Magico speakers.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I almost purchased the first pair of Minis I listened to. In fact, I think you Peter actually bought that same pair. They sounded great! Much better than the V2 or V3. I loved them and was going to downsize from the Wilson X-1s at the time. Chickened out and went and bought a pair of Alexandrias instead. Loved that Magico sound though.

Yes, Frank, I think I did buy that pair. I drove from Boston to Chicago and bought them at Quintessence Audio from the original owner. They were six months old at the time and in mint condition. Mitch is a nice guy and runs a great dealership. Perhaps the only Pass/Magico dealer in the US.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Yes, Frank, I think I did buy that pair. I drove from Boston to Chicago and bought them at Quintessence Audio from the original owner. They were six months old at the time and in mint condition. Mitch is a nice guy and runs a great dealership. Perhaps the only Pass/Magico dealer in the US.

He's moving ALOT of S5s and S3s along with some Q3s too! I think Magico is doing fairly well for themselves.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have always appreciated the Mini 2's - if I ever considered a volume downsize I would consider them very seriously. A very knowledgeable audiophile told once me that I should listen to them someday driven by the Atmasphere MA1's monoblocks - he owns such system although he could afford much more expensive systems.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have always appreciated the Mini 2's - if I ever considered a volume downsize I would consider them very seriously. A very knowledgeable audiophile told once me that I should listen to them someday driven by the Atmasphere MA1's monoblocks - he owns such system although he could afford much more expensive systems.

i could believe that...and you'd need some serious power on those...as i understand even FMA dealers will concur that the mighty 411x FMA will powerdown when trying to drive the magico minis during dynamic peaks.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I'd be interested to know if he sells many Magico/Pass combinations or if he recommends other electronics for the Magicos.

I'll ask

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
i could believe that...and you'd need some serious power on those...as i understand even FMA dealers will concur that the mighty 411x FMA will powerdown when trying to drive the magico minis during dynamic peaks.

My Pass XA100.5 did not have quite enough power, so I upgraded to the XA160.5. I think the X600.5 would also be very good, not to mention the new .8 and XS lines. They do need power, but I have to say, the needles barely budge when I play dynamic music fairly loudly. My room is pretty small, though. And these Mini 2s do play loud with ease.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Strange - can we assume that the electrical specifications of the mini 2 are quite different from the original mini, that were amplifier friendly? From the original mini review in TAS "Although the MAGICO Mini is a textbook-perfect load (never dipping below 4 ohms and staying about 6 ohms for most of its frequency range), it is relatively low in sensitivity. Though rated at 87dB, it is a nominal 4-ohm speaker, so its sensitivity is actually closer to 84dB."

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Strange - can we assume that the electrical specifications of the mini 2 are quite different from the original mini, that were amplifier friendly? From the original mini review in TAS "Although the MAGICO Mini is a textbook-perfect load (never dipping below 4 ohms and staying about 6 ohms for most of its frequency range), it is relatively low in sensitivity. Though rated at 87dB, it is a nominal 4-ohm speaker, so its sensitivity is actually closer to 84dB."

Eighteen months later, I reread your post, microstrip, and see that no one answered your question. I think the specifications between the original Mini and the Mini II are very similar. I would not consider either as "amplifier friendly." My speakers really benefitted from the increase in power of the XA160.5 over the 100.5, and I have a pretty small room.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing