Gently used gear got me here!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Although I'm in the process of an upgrade for my analog and digital sources, I wanted to present you with the last iteration of my setup. All of the equipment and accessories were bought "gently used" from audiophiles who took great care of their components. In each and every case there was a lot of communication between the seller and myself, before a decision to purchase was reached. As such, in every single case the actual purchase went smooth and without incident...no surprises.

I have provided a list of the components below along with their original MSRP to the best of my recollection. What I paid for each component is something I prefer to keep to myself. All of it came in at just under the $10K pricepoint.

Nottingham Analogue Horizon SE turntable with Rega RB250 tonearm - $2,000
Ortofon 2M Black Moving Magnet cartridge - $755
Harman/Kardon DVD47 digital player - $350
Genesis G7.1f speakers - $9,000
Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Integrated Amplifier - $3,700
Sonora Audio stand - $500
Nitty Gritty 2.5 Fi RCM - $900
Monster HDP2400 power centre - $500
Valab/King power cables/speaker cables/interconnects - $750
Acoustic treatments - $400
Miscellaneous - $500

Total: $19,350
Paid : 50% of MSRP.

As you can see, it is entirely possible to assemble a very satisfactory system of quality components in excellent condition that will offer the user years of enjoyment at a price that is very manageable and affordable. As long as you perform your due diligence purchasing on the gently used market is a good way to pursue your audio goals.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I think this just about makes it if you negotiate hard:

Maggie MMG
Velodyne DD10+
NAD M3 Dual mono Integrated
NAD M50 Digital Music Player
TA Ref Cables

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
Everything except the cart, my Scuttle, and RSA DMitri(wasn't sure how long these suckers last, still not:)) was purchased second hand. I have taken the same route, gently used equipment, sometimes at huge discounts to msrp.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
that's always been my way for over 20 years too...my current standing average cents on the dollar for every piece of equipment i have bought since 1993 is now standing at 37 cents on the dollar...

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Sorry i deleted my post because i noticed that this was for a 10k entry level system that i had not noticed but no matter what the cost like ( LL21 ) i also have spent 37 cents on the dollar for all of my gear since 1984.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Sorry i deleted my post because i noticed that this was for a 10k entry level system that i had not noticed but no matter what the cost like ( LL21 ) i also have spent 37 cents on the dollar for all of my gear since 1984.

Nice one!!! Nothing like a good deal!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing