Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Elliot, I take no offense. I should note that it was HP that asked if I would bring it to him, not you are Sandy. I heard him ask it as the telephone was on speaker, I guess.

I miss having a local dealer. I haven't had one since 1978.

Norm
I'm afraid those days are really over and I expect there will be less and less and the years go by. High End Audio's business model is unchanged since the 1950's however the world has changed and left it in the rear view mirror.
If you need anything please feel free to contact us we will be happy to try and help.
I think that the Industry is going to have to change but I am also sure it will be very hard and painful. Old dogs dont want to learn new tricks,
Be well Sir,
Elliot

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Good luck with them sound like sci-fi to me :)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I'm afraid those days are really over and I expect there will be less and less and the years go by. High End Audio's business model is unchanged since the 1950's however the world has changed and left it in the rear view mirror

That's about the best and most profound statement as to how to describe local dealers

You're right on E

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Unfortunately I've been there and done that

I get there soon.

Hey let's be delusional like "they" keep trying to tell us: "our best times lay ahead"

Onward!!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Some people have such a profound influence on an aspect of life that it is hard to fully appreciate their impact because it is so fundamental that almost all related areas are affected. In the worlds of audio and music appreciation Harry Pearson was a true sea change that repeatedly reminded us that audio should be about music appreciation and not equipment, brands, watts or technology.

I had the privilege of visiting Sea Cliff on a number of occasions and listening to music with Harry for hours and talking even longer. These extended contacts helped me see a side of Harry that was only partially visible in his writings.

He was man who was devoted to his core beliefs, even at the expense of commercial success. As we talked about his ouster from the magazine he saw as a child and us audiophiles and music lovers loved so much, The Absolute Sound, the very soft and passionate side of Harry was undeniable. Most of us would have been angry, but Harry focused on trying to find a new vehicle to share his musical and audio passions.

Harry was driven by life and the emotions that it can provide to those of us who are receptive. Through his writings he tried to share his personal experiences, especially those driven by music.

The world of audio has truly lost one of its most important driving forces. We owe it to Harry to remember that it is about the music and not the equipment.

Thanks for reporting. For those who could only read his words regularly during many years, it great to know about the man.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Elliot, get with the program. 60 is the new 40.....

BTW, since this thread could easily be renamed the "alter cocker" express, I'll mention that I first met Harry at the Atlanta show in 1978 and immediately commented that he had a Simean crease on his palm. Well, you could have knocked him over with a feather as I'm sure it's not a comment he heard every day. Although now a very outdated term, the connotation was that such palmistry markings were typically found on criminals, prisoners, or people of, shall we say, unusual mental composition. How did Harry react? He just burst out with a huge smile, extended out a handshake to me, and probably as a result, we've had several cordial communications over the years. His was indeed a uniquely thoughtful mind and because our kind is now growing extinct, it is most fitting that we should now give him the honor that is his due. Remember when the sweetest days of the year were when a new TAS arrived in your mailbox? We devoured them like candy and craved them like heroin. He was our Don Quixote forever tilling at musical windmills and thus the undisputed leader of our quest for better home audio reproduction. Of course, there would probably be no Harry without J. Gordon Holt and so we should bestow everlasting thanks to them both.
Marty

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing