Philadelphia Orchestra at Carnegie Hall Oct 31, 2014

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I had the opportunity to hear the Philadelphia Orchestra at Carnegie Hall a few days ago doing Mahler's 2nd. OMG. As you may know, the Orchestra's music director is a 39 year old French Canadian Yannick Nézet-Séguin who was chosen in 2012 after a international search. There is no tougher audience than classical music lovers who attend Carnegie regularly, and he received 5 standing ovations from the audience. It was a masterpiece performance. I was impressed he worked without a score and went without a baton in the last movement, preferring to use both hands instead. It was a Mahler 2 for the ages. I think even Bernstein looked down and said to himself "the kid really is pretty damned good". Then of course, I came home, turned on the big rig, and almost threw up when I realized pretty quickly that no new power cable, interconnect or amplifier is ever going to get me from here to there, so to speak. Live music. There really is nothing like it.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Fantastic 'review'! (And an amusing review of your own big rig...which no doubt is very impressive by almost any standard!)...did they record this performance by any chance?

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I didn't see any recording microphones in Carnegie for that performance. However they played it the night before in Philly, and again both Sat and Sun in Philly following the Carnegie performance on Halloween. My guess is that it was recorded in Verizon Hall in Philadelphia one of those nights. At least, I hope so.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I didn't see any recording microphones in Carnegie for that performance. However they played it the night before in Philly, and again both Sat and Sun in Philly following the Carnegie performance on Halloween. My guess is that it was recorded in Verizon Hall in Philadelphia one of those nights. At least, I hope so.

thanks...will remember to look out for it.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Bob Grossman (the Orchestra's principal librarian) said that Yannick's eyes were a glow from the moment the orchestra arrived in New York. He said he went out into the hall during the performance and had goosebumps.

Last edited:

TheMadMilkman

Sep 7, 2010
I had the opportunity to hear the Philadelphia Orchestra at Carnegie Hall a few days ago doing Mahler's 2nd.

So jealous, and I don't even like Mahler's 2nd. Nothing approaches the buzz and energy you feel from an orchestra performing well.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
sounds a lot like Dudamel out in here in LA, Marty. I've never seen him use a score.

most audiophile systems lack dynamics, both on a micro and macro basis. i think this is the largest different between our homes and the real thing. and a big reason why i have moved to high efficiency speakers.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
It was a Mahler 2 for the ages. I think even Bernstein looked down and said to himself "the kid really is pretty damned good". Then of course, I came home, turned on the big rig, and almost threw up when I realized pretty quickly that no new power cable, interconnect or amplifier is ever going to get me from here to there, so to speak. Live music. There really is nothing like it.

My favorite symphony, thanks for sharing your experience. And yes, no system is as compelling as a live symphony orchestra; the limitations start at the recording.

Sauerball

Member Sponsor
Jul 30, 2013
New York, NY
Wonderful, Marty!

As long as you can attend great events, the home system makes a nice backup....

Lee

This. Listening to Angelique Kidjo in my living room at the moment. Sounds great. But I expect she'll sound better in Carnegie Hall in an hour and a half.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
One needs to get the right seat and bring their own recording equipment...;)
A pair of Schoeps MK4 active wires and a Sound Devices 722 hi-Rez recorder would do the trick. Nothing like capturing your own concert events.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing