Wilson Sophia 11 questions

Mike

VIP/Donor
Jan 28, 2012
Madison, New Jersey
I currently have my Wilson speakers sitting on a hardwood floor, but without spikes or wheels. The floor is not very flat, so I felt that spikes wouldn't make sense. Is it better to have them on the wheels? Will they mark the floor?

Sorry for the dumb questions.

Sunny

Adding spikes and brass Disks on moving Pads allows you to really Voice the speakers. Once you're satisfied, remove the pads and kick back with your favorite music. You will be blown away.

Pierre

Jun 18, 2012
Denmark
I also have an old not flat woodn floor.
My Sasha are on spikes with Herbies disk underneath and this sound just wundefull....

I know many uses Stillpoints under Wilson, but i dont like the "sound" from stillpoints. For about 2 years ago, i had a suitcase from Stillpoints at demo. All the differents stillpoints, so i could try them all. Not my cup of the ;)

Mike

VIP/Donor
Jan 28, 2012
Madison, New Jersey
Thanks, everyone. I wonder if I can put the speakers on the spikes. Maybe I need another person for help, as the speakers are quite heavy..

Sunny

That's great. Getting Fundamentals correct is awesome.

I also have an old not flat woodn floor.
My Sasha are on spikes with Herbies disk underneath and this sound just wundefull....

I know many uses Stillpoints under Wilson, but i dont like the "sound" from stillpoints. For about 2 years ago, i had a suitcase from Stillpoints at demo. All the differents stillpoints, so i could try them all. Not my cup of the ;)

I understand. Stillpoints and other products are based on personal likes and dislikes. Trial and error.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
I wish Wilson would tap a hole in the front center of all their speakers to give the option of using 3 spikes, 1 in the front and 2 in the rear.....

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I wish Wilson would tap a hole in the front center of all their speakers to give the option of using 3 spikes, 1 in the front and 2 in the rear.....

Why

Do you feel that's a better configuration.

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com

I would think that having 1 in the front and 2 in the back would make the speaker less stable, and possibly be knocked over

Sunny

That would be a horrible horrible Idea. The weight of the speaker would make it unstable. If my Dog's tail hit it, I would be in trouble or if a small kid leaned on it, It would fall and injure someone.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland

Or 3 at the back 2 in front , mike the finite elements are great on wooden floors and are fully adjustable per feet , the 70 mm wide base makes hardly an imprint on soft wood , regarding flipping over , just keep the front feet wide enough apart, the finite elements are also a " shaft- hole design " with a large base so the feet themself are verydifficult to tip over as compared to common spikedesigns

DSC_0103 by andromeda61, on Flickr

Last edited:

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
That would be a horrible horrible Idea. The weight of the speaker would make it unstable. If my Dog's tail hit it, I would be in trouble or if a small kid leaned on it, It would fall and injure someone.

+1

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Or 3 at the back 2 in front , mike the finite elements are great on wooden floors and are fully adjustable per feet , the 70 mm wide base makes hardly an imprint on soft wood , regarding flipping over , just keep the front feet wide enough apart, the finite elements are also a " shaft- hole design " with a large base so the feet themself are verydifficult to tip over as compared to common spikedesigns

DSC_0103 by andromeda61, on Flickr

Off topic: Do I spy a Studer? Reminds me of my dad's "Ultramaster" :) (at 2:02 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=479ybdkWeFs&list=UUI7oe8H-P1lUFD7GfXrkaxQ )

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Yes thats right its a standard A 80 i have a portable B 62 as well , great machines , i bet your fathers ultramaster sounds even better with a lower noisefloor

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Yes thats right its a standard A 80 i have a portable B 62 as well , great machines , i bet your fathers ultramaster sounds even better with a lower noisefloor

They are wonderful! :)

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011

Not really. The weight would keep it stable. Of course anything can be knocked over
And I didn't day change to three spike design, just give it as an option...

With 3 spikes:

Easier to get each woofer cabinet the same height
Easier to level.
Sonically a much more desirable result

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Not really. The weight would keep it stable. Of course anything can be knocked over
And I didn't day change to three spike design, just give it as an option...

With 3 spikes:

Easier to get each woofer cabinet the same height
Easier to level.
Sonically a much more desirable result

Not sure that I agree with respect to level the speaker. I can tell you that my speaker had 4 spikes and it was level in all planes. I have subsequently switched to four Sillpoint Ultra 5's under each speaker and I can tell you mine are perfectly level. As for sonic change I do agree as I have learned this from number and placement of Stillpoints used.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
No need to level with three spikes. Of course you can adjust and should have all three at same height on initial setup.

YG uses three on all their models. It is most assuredly a more stable setup.

Had one of their speakers in my room for a few days. No stability issues assuming speaker has some weight.

Of course, if you have the drunk uncle or kids (unsupervised) visiting, caveat emptor.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing