There might be more to this digital music thing than I thought!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Since I'm without my analogue playback for now I've had to resort to my small digital collection for musical enjoyment. This has usually been relegated to my PC, but now I'm starting to run them through the main rig, and I've been pleasantly surprised. My playback system is comprised of an old second-hand H/K DVD48 that can play CD/SACD/DVD-A. I don't use an external DAC, so it's connected directly to my Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Integrated amp and Genesis G7.1 speakers. I'm currently awaiting delivery of the Geek Pulse DAC/Headphone amp, which should improve the playback quality significantly.

At first I started playing the discs because I couldn't play my vinyl and didn't really pay much attention to the music and quality. I just wanted to hear some music. However, after a few listens I started to think about if differently as my ears were receiving some sounds that were most pleasurable. This is when I started thinking that there might be more to digital than I've given it credit for. I started listening more intently as a result.

One of the discs that really impressed me was the SACD of Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms. Wow! And Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood got my toes tapping throughout the entire disc. I've got Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here playing right now and it really does sound fabulous. I'm most impressed.

If this is what digital can provide then I may have to invest in some more titles.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I am with you! (of course, we have no vinyl in the house...;) ) Enjoy!

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
The MFSL stereo SACD of Brothers in Arms sounds much better than the 2005 one which includes multi-channel.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I am with you! (of course, we have no vinyl in the house...;) ) Enjoy!

:)

JV

I would think so. I have a more than decent Vinyl gig and have seen myself listening exclusively to Digital. I would recommend the inexpensive but superb the iFi iDSD micro which happens to play DSD by the way ...It is a portable DAC/Headphone amplifier and cost the modest sum of $500. it was recommended by our Andre Marc and plays beautiful music. It will shame several DAC costing much more including some megabucks items ...

Digital has gotten extremely good, it should not be dismissed.. You are discovering this firsthand.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Digital is like anything else, the better the gear, and associated cables, the better it will sound.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Digital is like anything else, the better the gear, and associated cables, the better it will sound.

Yes. And as you say digital is very sensitive to proper cabling.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing