Solid state single ended (pure class A) preamp

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
thanks guys.
I think I am getting a bit carried away since for the last couple of years I have been listening to SET with my Tannoys. Now when I am listening to conventional speakers it feels a bit off.
An FM preamp is probably my best bet but I dont expect an FM preamp even in the used market for $5k. So I need a good alternative. What are my options ?

A Pass Labs XP20 used for $5K is an option. Sounds much better than an Aleph P in my opinion. More transparent, and much lower noise floor with separate power supply.

Pani

Jun 4, 2013
I have been using Wavac EC300B. My Tannoy speakers need more power so I am considering a change of amp

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
You should listen to tomelex, as he is telling you the truth here.

Exactly.

Pani, Just for the record, all preamps are class A whether they are single-ended or balanced. What I am not getting here is why you are apparently changing everything out- except apparently the speaker. Are you going to a larger tube amplifier? Tell you what- if you change a whole bunch of stuff all at once, you stand to flush a lot of perfectly good cash down the loo.

I would change just one thing and see what you think. In this case, since the amp does not have enough power (and apparently its a tube amp that you have) how about a bigger tube amp, and don't worry about the preamp for now??

Anatta

Apr 10, 2014
Aren't all preamps, including balanced ones, single-ended, meaning not push-pull in operation?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Aren't all preamps, including balanced ones, single-ended, meaning not push-pull in operation?

No. Many are push-pull, even using output configurations similar to those used in power amplifiers.

Anatta

Apr 10, 2014
I wonder why would anyone go for push-pull operation in a preamp. I understand in a power amp it's done for efficiency sake but that's not a concern in a preamp.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com

No. Some preamp, like ours, are fully differential from input to output, and are therefore push-pull. This is done to reduce noise and distortion.

while class a does not act on the plus and minus sides of the waveform in the exact same way, and that's just a summary review. Also, a very low output impedance can be gained, and therefore drive longer cables with more authority and less distortion in FR and just plain harmonic type.

Actually if the circuit is class A, it will indeed treat both phases in the same way.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have compared modright to arc ref 3. Better for rock, more punch. The clear winner for me in pre amps is NAT Audio, better than 5se, and from other people's experiences, than vtl, Einstein, and cat jl1. And that's their entry level priced at 7k EUR retail

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing