The spectral adventure - part 2

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
BTW, one thing you should try is directly connecting a source component to the amp, and see if the hum goes away; that could be another clue that the preamp is at fault.

dgw

Sep 10, 2014
England UK.
This is a tough one; it feels the preamp may be to blame, judging from the fact that the phase switch should not be causing this huge thump - in fact, none of the 5 Spectral preamps I've had over the last 20 years exhibited such a problem. It may be causing the hum as well, so I would suggest talking to the dealer about it, or, ahem, the factory. It doesn't feel lifting the ground will do much, if the hum is different between channels... As I said when you first wrote about your experience with the factory, your bigger problem is going to be servicing your equipment - let's see how this now plays out, and we hope the dealer will help...

Eventually after long haul :
DMA250 went back to German Distributor who found missing earth strap. ( They checked out and brought unit up to spec just before I initially bought it. ) That fixed the nasty hum on right channel but still left small hum there which was audible from listening seat. ONLY way to overcome it was to route ALL components through my regenerated sine wave power supply unit ( 230V 1500V ) and to lift ground on the DMA250. That always results in small hum on right channel when first switching on but it goes away completely after one minute of playing. SO that is the fix for that issue. IF anybody knows what is causing the issue would still be nice to know even though the issue is now solved. German Distributor does not answer my emails. Don't know why. Crazy lack of communication continues ......

Regarding the nasty crack when changing polarity : This is because my two Velodyne DD sub woofers are connected to the Balanced Outputs of the DMC30S. Has something to do with the balanced topology on the Pre which I don't understand and also maybe because the Velodynes have no earth wire on their power sockets. Anyhow, fix is to always mute pre and manually switch off Velodynes before changing polarity. A bit of a nuisance but it works.

So .... now all sounds very good. Without hums....

dgw

Sep 10, 2014
England UK.
Having previously started a discussion concerning experience when trying to obtain simple information from Spectral and being refused because there is no distributor in the UK, I would like to continue reporting but consider a new topic is now more suitable and will also avoid it being buried in the older thread. I also wish to be fair, in as much as not only to complain about what needs improving but also say what is right. I went ahead and bought the DMC 30S. A thirteen year old item but apparently little used. Expensive in the UK. It was 220 volts so I also had to buy a power regenerator to stabilise output voltage, as it would cook long term in the usual 240 to 250 volt environment here. As previously mentioned, my interest in Spectral stems from firstly having discovered RR records and then their cds many years ago and having heard their equipment at shows around the world over many years. This preamp has not disappointed in any way. It is everything a pre should be and has fundamentally changed the way my system sounds. It does have to be kept on all the time and it does take a long time to settle down if ever switched off. The regenerated pure sine wave mains power, at a constant 230 volts, helps a lot with all the front end equipment. One thing sums up my experience with this, my first Spectral item : I was listening to a RCA cd from the Artur Rubinstein boxed set the other night and realised I was listening to a Grand Piano playing in my room; I was not listening to a Grand Piano playing in my room through speakers. It was as if those funny boxes in the room were not doing anything. That is a subtle but profound difference. The system is really fun now and goes to realistic SPL without getting compressed or distorted. So, I have no doubt that, technically, Spectral are superb. They design and manufacture exceptional product - exactly as I always had assumed - and why I have persevered so much to become an owner. The Dutch distributor very kindly solved the issue of no UK distributor. Now all I need is a DMA 250 power amp........

EVENTUALLY : Bought a DMA250 in Germany. Had hum issue with it. But all now solved. Please see my separate posting to my original post, for details.

Have a question about adding Supertweeters which I will put on a new thread soon.

Thanks to everybody for support and help solving issues. No doubt that Spectral make amongst the best equipment available but as it is so fussy in setting up procedures etal, it does need nice communication for the end user = customer = to be supported.....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing