Wilson Grand Slamm X-1 Series V

wsill

Oct 3, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Hello Wilson Audio Owners,
I have been on this Forum for about 5 years sorta in and out.
In the past 8 years I have had Wilson WP-7, Maxx 2, Sasha -1, and now finally found a to me long lusted pair of X-1 Series V.
I was able to get my X-1's actually nearby to my home here in Atlanta, Georgia.
I had to hire a moving company to haul the X-1 woofers as they had to be come down a flight of stairs from the former owner.
I set them up last Friday - took most of the day; finally began voicing them in by Sunday.

My X-1's started as series II so built in late 1998 (thanks Jerron for tracing the history for me), the top sections about 5-6 years old as the series V upgrade essentially replaces the top cabinets, drivers and crossovers.
So I voiced them in and started listening; in a guarded mode because; the woofer section drivers are 14 years old while they had very low use during much of their life, the 12" mid-bass drivers have foam dry-rot. Frustrating. Once I took the drivers out the surrounds fell apart totally in my hand; they were paper thin.
Anyway I took the 12" drivers out 3 weeks ago for foam surround repair.

I got my Focal 12" woofers back with new re-surrounds 3 days ago. I went with a local Audio Repair shop here in Atlanta.
They did a great job !! See photo below
The X-1's are really sounding much better- just unlimited dynamics, speed, realism; even with the Levinson #23 AMP. The X-1's are very critical of the Time Alignments and positioning, so work in progress but once you understand the variables actually not difficult to do.

My X-1 series 5 have the newer "pin system" for my upper modules. The woofers remained with the Velcro type attachment for the grills.
Since I had removed the 12" woofer, I took the 15" out as well and scraped off the old foam pad. Installed new pads; then just installed new 'male' Velcro on top of the new foam pads.

Question: To X-1 owners, Debby .... Someone please check your X-1 woofer grills... What is the amount of coverage around the grill frame with the 'female' Velcro ? Does it go the entire perimeter, and in-between the 2 woofers ? Or best if someone could post a picture of the X-1 woofer grill.
So I have seen posts here of fellow audiophiles with X-1's, please post more stories, impressions, setups and experiences with your X-1's. I waited 10 years to get a pair and I am on Cloud 9 actually having them in my room.

Thanks Everyone,
Bill

Attachments

• Focal- 12 inch woofer repair.jpg
    Focal- 12 inch woofer repair.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 2,794
  • DSCN4324.jpg
    DSCN4324.jpg
    504.8 KB · Views: 6,114

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats! They are truly amazing speakers, and as a fellow owner of X1s, I can say I have been enjoying a very exciting audio ride for a number of years now. Every time I make an upgrade somewhere in the system, these speakers continue to deliver better music.
Martin Colloms promised this would happen when I asked his advice about them, and he assured me that electronics had not yet caught up to the ability of your speakers to continue to show newer and greater improvements in sound reproduction.

Below are 2 shots which show the Velcro placement...basically the older grilles are setup with Velcro along the very edges and horizontally in between the 2 cones...just as you see with the smaller Wilsons.

I have posted on your other thread in AA, and if you wish, feel free to peruse my X1 thread http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...X1-Grand-Slamm-Still-Improving-after-20-years!
about the various 'tweaks' I have made which for me have been game changing on these speakers over the years. no rush...yours are sensational, just as is. But its been fun nevertheless. Enjoy!!!

http://www.audio-components.de/seiten/ac/info/wilson/Wilson_Grand_Slamm/wilson_slammingrey.jpg
http://www.son-et-passion.com/blog/...on-audio-Wilson-Audio-WATT-Puppy-System-5.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Question: To X-1 owners, Debby .... Someone please check your X-1 woofer grills... What is the amount of coverage around the grill frame with the 'female' Velcro ? Does it go the entire perimeter, and in-between the 2 woofers ? Or best if someone could post a picture of the X-1 woofer grill.
So I have seen posts here of fellow audiophiles with X-1's, please post more stories, impressions, setups and experiences with your X-1's. I waited 10 years to get a pair and I am on Cloud 9 actually having them in my room.

Thanks Everyone,
Bill

Hi Bill,

let me try to get a snapshot of my woofer grilles so you can see them. when I got mine they redid them all, so they're new, which should help you since they may be similar to yours. the challenge is that my Velcro is SO TIGHT, I have never removed the grilles because it pulls the foam off with the grille!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
OK...no go on removing these things. However, here is what I can confirm:

- they applied all the Velcro (on both speaker and on grill) by hand in our living room...so maybe not a perfect science
- they have applied 3"-6" strips of Velcro on the grill itself...so not nearly as much Velcro on the grill as on the speaker itself. There about 3-5 of these strips on each side and around 3 on the top/bottom...cannot see in the middle but probably similar.
- they have applied the strips of Velcro half a centimetre in from the outer edge of the grill.
- the reason for this is so that when you look at the speaker from the side, you see a nice edge of the grill without a lot of 'plastic'...much cleaner so I am glad they did it this way

Hope that helps.

wsill

Oct 3, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Lloyd,
Yes your input is exactly what I was looking for.
I added the velcro to bass cabinets as you show in the pictures all the way around and in-between the woofers.
I'll go ahead today and apply 3-6" strips on the grills themselves; thanks for the tip about applying slightly inward on the grill itself.
Steve Thanks for your guidance on this as well.

Lloyd, actually I have read a few times your posts here and on the other Wilson Audio forum spot. You have provided quite a bit of guidance; also motivation to me to actually step up and get my X-1's. There is quite a bit of difference between the X-1's and my previous Sasha.
So far my X-1's are everything I had dreamed of. I'm going to start looking for better Amplification now.
Previously with my Maxx II, and Sasha, I tried ARC Ref 210, and Ref 110 I had mixed emotions about each. The Levinson I have driving the X-1's now is an old standby I used on my Magnepan TIVa. It seems as though the Wilson speakers, especially the X-1's take all the Amplifier you can give it.
Thanks again, will be touch.

Bill

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd,
Yes your input is exactly what I was looking for.
I added the velcro to bass cabinets as you show in the pictures all the way around and in-between the woofers.
I'll go ahead today and apply 3-6" strips on the grills themselves; thanks for the tip about applying slightly inward on the grill itself.
Steve Thanks for your guidance on this as well.

Lloyd, actually I have read a few times your posts here and on the other Wilson Audio forum spot. You have provided quite a bit of guidance; also motivation to me to actually step up and get my X-1's. There is quite a bit of difference between the X-1's and my previous Sasha.
So far my X-1's are everything I had dreamed of. I'm going to start looking for better Amplification now.
Previously with my Maxx II, and Sasha, I tried ARC Ref 210, and Ref 110 I had mixed emotions about each. The Levinson I have driving the X-1's now is an old standby I used on my Magnepan TIVa. It seems as though the Wilson speakers, especially the X-1's take all the Amplifier you can give it.
Thanks again, will be touch.

Bill

Great stuff, Bill. Very very happy to hear we've been helpful. That's what we're here for...trading good information and to have some fun doing it. Feel free to ask away or PM. Look forward to it.

wsill

Oct 3, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Lloyd,

Have you had your X-1 12" woofer surrounds replaced? When I got mine I slightly more than breathed on them and they started falling apart. There is a pair of X-1 Series 2 near me here for sale. When we took off the grill, the 12" woofer surrounds had already begun falling apart. I'm NOT trying to cause alarm... But asking your and others experience.

It seems that the 15" woofer surrounds have some type of coating or impregnation in them, mine seem fine still. Though of course pondering if those surrounds should be replaced as well.

Bill

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd,

Have you had your X-1 12" woofer surrounds replaced? When I got mine I slightly more than breathed on them and they started falling apart. There is a pair of X-1 Series 2 near me here for sale. When we took off the grill, the 12" woofer surrounds had already begun falling apart. I'm NOT trying to cause alarm... But asking your and others experience.

It seems that the 15" woofer surrounds have some type of coating or impregnation in them, mine seem fine still. Though of course pondering if those surrounds should be replaced as well.

Bill
Hi Bill,

Yes I did...don't worry. I got mine and they had deteriorated as well...got an excellent job refoaming them by a pro recommended by the Distributor who oversaw the work. Play them at moderate levels for 100 hours of playtime, and you should be good to go. My 15" woofers are also fine...and mine are much older than yours. My X1s date back to July 1994...and have a serial number of 22!!! These were still with the hand-drilled holes when DW was hand-making much of the work here.

So in addition to refoaming the 12" cones, I have also replaced the tweeter with the latest generation focal Titanium tweeters, and as you will see in my thread, added a bunch of excellent 'mods' which really drive performance: Ultra 5s, Entreq wraps around all the internal cables that link the upper and lower modules, a Transp RefXL jumper cable in addition to the existing jumper plate on the back, and finally the Entreq vibb eaters to the top and back of the upper modules.

Take it slow...your speakers are great and as you said, you're obviously sorting out your many options as you embark on taking your system to the next level. Enjoy!!!

Last edited:

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Sorry for the late reply!

Here is a photo of an X-1 (close up showing the Velcro). I liked to use a razor (needs to be very sharp to make it look nice), and cut away the Velcro around the 15" driver.

Feel free to email me if you have any more questions (I would be happy to talk to you over the phone as well). I built X-1's many years ago (Series 3), so very familiar with them!

X1 Grand Slamm Series 2 Mag cover.jpg

wsill

Oct 3, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Debbie,
Thank You for the photo showing the Velcro. I did install the Velcro on my X-1 Bass units as the pictures shows, then at selective points on the grill frame itself.
The Bass grill is holding well, especially under some of those huge bass pressures the X-1 can produce. They look great!!

Jerron told me that my X-1's were series 2, start of life in February 1998. Updated to Series V in 2006. I suspect that you did build mine.
An interesting point though is: I had to replace the 12" woofer foam surrounds right after I purchased these (this past September), but the 15" woofer surrounds seem fine, those surrounds have some type of coating on in them. So I am making the assumption to leave the 15" woofer surrounds alone.

Have you heard or know of anyone who has had to replace the Focal 15" woofer surrounds?
Do you have the review from FI on the X-1's ? I'd love to have that.

The X-1's always my dream speaker, and now I have in my music room.

Thanks,
Bill

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
...Do you have the review from FI on the X-1's ? I'd love to have that.

Thanks,
Bill

Great stuff, Bill...i agree...ever since i heard the Wilson X1s, i always thought about them. In fact, when i got a 2nd hand pair of Strads at a deep discount, i was 'set' and actually told my dealer the day we agreed the deal that i would only upgrade to 2 speakers (Wilson X1 or Arrakis)...and sure enough he called me out of the blue one day and said 'you'll never guess what i found...'

Enjoy! Which review is FI? No doubt you have the one from Martin Colloms on Stereophile July 1994...i still refer to it from time to time and the ones from Soundstage (Jeff Fritz) regarding series ii, and the Wilson XS.

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Debbie,
Thank You for the photo showing the Velcro. I did install the Velcro on my X-1 Bass units as the pictures shows, then at selective points on the grill frame itself.
The Bass grill is holding well, especially under some of those huge bass pressures the X-1 can produce. They look great!!

Jerron told me that my X-1's were series 2, start of life in February 1998. Updated to Series V in 2006. I suspect that you did build mine.
An interesting point though is: I had to replace the 12" woofer foam surrounds right after I purchased these (this past September), but the 15" woofer surrounds seem fine, those surrounds have some type of coating on in them. So I am making the assumption to leave the 15" woofer surrounds alone.

Have you heard or know of anyone who has had to replace the Focal 15" woofer surrounds?
Do you have the review from FI on the X-1's ? I'd love to have that.

Thanks,
Bill

I do have a hard copy of it. I can scan it, and email you a PDF of it if you would like. Send me an email to debby@wilsonaudio.com , and I will reply with the article :)

I am not sure when it comes to your question regarding replacing the surrounds on the 15" woofers. They are drivers from the same Manufacturer. It is interesting to me that the 12"s would need new surrounds, but not the 15"s. That might be a question for Jerron

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Great stuff, Bill...i agree...ever since i heard the Wilson X1s, i always thought about them. In fact, when i got a 2nd hand pair of Strads at a deep discount, i was 'set' and actually told my dealer the day we agreed the deal that i would only upgrade to 2 speakers (Wilson X1 or Arrakis)...and sure enough he called me out of the blue one day and said 'you'll never guess what i found...'

Enjoy! Which review is FI? No doubt you have the one from Martin Colloms on Stereophile July 1994...i still refer to it from time to time and the ones from Soundstage (Jeff Fritz) regarding series ii, and the Wilson XS.

I have the SoundStage! article from 1999 as well. Great stuff! :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing