Dedicated line

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
^^^This makes a lot sense to me, Kevin.

Chuck Lee

Feb 5, 2015
Probably not news to everyone here,but when running more than one dedicated line, make sure the lines are on the same side of the panel and that they are in phase.

If the breaker is in the top position in the panel, leave a space and put the next 20 amp breaker in the next top position .

This was brought to my attention by my electrician/audio friend.

I was proud of running the dedicated lines all by myself,and asked him to take a look just in case something might have been amiss.

That was when he informed me about phase and using the same side of the panel for all dedicated lines.

It's also nice if the furnace and AC aren't on the same side as your audio lines.

Something also came to mind.

When you run a dedicated line,you eliminate all the cuts and splices there are in the normal way homes are wired up.

You eliminate all the extra outlets that have other things attached to them of course,but, I think one of the merits to dedicated lines is the continuity from the panel to the gear.

One interrupted run of wiring from the breaker to an outlet in my way of thinking just has to be better than the same length of wire that is cut and terminated with an outlet every few feet.

The further away your gear is from the panel you most certainly will have a lot of breaks and outlets.

Last edited:

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
It's not the same side of the panel, they zig-zag down the panel.
Be back later.
Now it's later and after re-reading the Chuck Lee post.

It's the bus-bars that zig-zag down the panel. So every other breaker on one side is on the same polarity or leg.

But if I were to wire an audio room that requires more than one circuit, I would:
Run one large 120 Volt circuit (40, 60 or 80 Amps) from the main breaker box to a central point in the audio room. There I would have a small breaker box for the individual 20 Amp circuits. The idea is to shorten the length of AC power cables & cords from audio component to component.

Last edited:

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
I had (4) twisted pair 20A circuits (#12 gauge) installed in my new media room served from a 100A sub-panel. I'm using (1) circuit on the left rear wall for the auxiliary equipment; (1) on the rear wall for the subwoofer; and have (2) available on the front wall for amps.

I have no problems with ground loops or noise on any of the circuits.

The twisted pair wiring used for each circuit has the neutral and hot wires wrapped together on 2" centers and the ground wire placed parallel in PVC conduit. An AES paper presented at the AES 129th Convention, 4-7 November 2010, San Francisco, CA, USA states this method has the lowest ground voltage induction of anything tested.

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
The twisted pair wiring used for each circuit has the neutral and hot wires wrapped together on 2" centers and the ground wire placed parallel in PVC conduit. An AES paper presented at the AES 129th Convention, 4-7 November 2010, San Francisco, CA, USA states this method has the lowest ground voltage induction of anything tested.
This is an excellent way to wire AC power.
The Bill Whitlock paper:

"Ground Loops: The Rest of the Story"
Bill Whitlock, AES Fellow and Jamie Fox, P.E.

This paper was presented at the AES 129th Convention, 4-7 November 2010, San Francisco, CA, USA

ABSTRACT
The mechanisms that enable so-called ground loops to cause well-known hum, buzz, and other audio system
noise problems are well known. But what causes power-line related currents to flow in signal cables in the first
place? This paper explains how magnetic induction in ordinary premises AC wiring creates the small voltage
differences normally found among system ground connections, even if “isolated” or “technical” grounding is
used. The theoretical basis is explored, experimental data shown, and an actual case history related. Little
has been written about this “elephant in the room” topic in engineering literature and apparently none in the
context of audio or video systems. It is shown that simply twisting L-N pairs in the premises wiring can
profoundly reduce system noise problems.
http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/20963848/268252969/name/Whitlock-Fox+-+Ground+Loops+.pdf

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
This is an excellent way to wire AC power.
The Bill Whitlock paper:

"Ground Loops: The Rest of the Story"
Bill Whitlock, AES Fellow and Jamie Fox, P.E.

This paper was presented at the AES 129th Convention, 4-7 November 2010, San Francisco, CA, USA

ABSTRACT
The mechanisms that enable so-called ground loops to cause well-known hum, buzz, and other audio system
noise problems are well known. But what causes power-line related currents to flow in signal cables in the first
place? This paper explains how magnetic induction in ordinary premises AC wiring creates the small voltage
differences normally found among system ground connections, even if “isolated” or “technical” grounding is
used. The theoretical basis is explored, experimental data shown, and an actual case history related. Little
has been written about this “elephant in the room” topic in engineering literature and apparently none in the
context of audio or video systems. It is shown that simply twisting L-N pairs in the premises wiring can
profoundly reduce system noise problems.
http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/20963848/268252969/name/Whitlock-Fox+-+Ground+Loops+.pdf
Bill teaches a wonderful class at CEDIA conferences in the fall on this topic. It is worth its weight in gold. This year CEDIA is in Dallas, TX: http://expo.cedia.net/. No one I have seen has such a strong grasp of this topic than Bil as a practical matter.

The twisting method by the way was something he tried in a large stadium that had terrible hum.

While you are there, take Dr. Tool's 2-day course on loudspeakers and acoustics and you are golden. :)

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Any recommendations for a high quality MCB ? Any audiophile grade breakers that you guys have tried ...

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Try ABL Sursum MCB . Send it for cryogenic treatment at Takefive audio Canada. U may like it . Some of us tried & prefer it . Just experiment with it & see whether u like it . Not expensive

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing