Dedicated line

Sonus

Jul 7, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
So i am in the process of remodeling a room in my new home to a dedicated listening room for me and my family.
At the moment the room is wired with a 15amp circuit (shared)

I would like to get a dedicated 20amp line directly into my listening room.

The electrician says he will use 12AWG wire for the new 20 amp breaker, should i go with 10AWG or maybe 8? (my room is about 30 feet from the main board)
Also, should i get two 20amp lines? i am thinking one dedicated 20amp line for my amps and one for the front end?

What do you guys think?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I went as far as dividing the room up in quad (mastering room) and half (post room). That way my mono amps have their own circuits and the front/back of room is separated as well. You don't have to go to this extent, but proper planning should keep your amps from your sources.
A good 10/3 wire should be fine. I use JPS Labs in-wall cable.

Sonus

Jul 7, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
Thanks Bruce.

Do you have one 20amp circuit for your mono amps or each amp with his own 20amp circuit?

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I have one 20 amp line for each mono block and a third for the pre-amp and sources. It may not have been necessary but it was easy for them to do.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Thanks Bruce.

Do you have one 20amp circuit for your mono amps or each amp with his own 20amp circuit?

Each amp has its own circuit.
I have an Equi=tech 7.5QW wall cabinet and that's how I split up the lines in that room.

Sonus

Jul 7, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
how necessary is to separate the mono amps?

Sonus

Jul 7, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
What about ground loop issues possibly occurring with separate dedicated lines ?

AFAIK, all lines should have a common ground.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Each amp has its own circuit.
I have an Equi=tech 7.5QW wall cabinet and that's how I split up the lines in that room.

I remember you showing me the ET. Do all of your electronics in the mastering room run through the ET?

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Anything larger than 12awg is overkill for your 20A circuit. I ran a dedicated 20A cct to my room. I found stranded 2c-12awg that was shielded...hard to find but worth it IMO. Affix the shield to only one end...the neutral bus at the panel...have fun..

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I would definitely run more than one circuit. Most of the cost will be in labor and incremental cost very small.

12 gauge wire is just fine for 20 amp circuit especially one that short. Have the outlets be split power so that everyone has a different feed.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
how necessary is to separate the mono amps?

Depends. On one hand it isn't necessary at all. At one point, I had a single 20 amp circuit with a Shunyata Triton attached to it, and all the gear was plugged into the Triton. Sounded great, but at high volume levels the circuit breaker on the Triton would trip. I added another 20 amp line, along with a Shunyata Cyclops, for both amps, and it sounded even better. Except now the circuit breaker in the panel would trip at high volumes. So, I added another 20 amp line a Cyclops. Now each amp has its own circuit, and it sounds even better. However, now the tweeter and mid-range fry at high volume levels.

Sonus

Jul 7, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Depends. On one hand it isn't necessary at all. At one point, I had a single 20 amp circuit with a Shunyata Triton attached to it, and all the gear was plugged into the Triton. Sounded great, but at high volume levels the circuit breaker on the Triton would trip. I added another 20 amp line, along with a Shunyata Cyclops, for both amps, and it sounded even better. Except now the circuit breaker in the panel would trip at high volumes. So, I added another 20 amp line a Cyclops. Now each amp has its own circuit, and it sounds even better. However, now the tweeter and mid-range fry at high volume levels.
Hehe :).

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
If you are running one line, RUN TWO.

Pulling two lines won't take much more time than one to pull and won't cost much more either.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
If you are running one line, RUN TWO.
Best advice ever :).

Today I wanted to automate our front light so that if someone rings the doorbell, the lights come on and automatically go off after a while. The doorbell is part of a smart intercom system. The intercom has relay output to indicate the door button has been pressed. Being the smart guy I am :), I had run a second cat-5 cable to that same location that is currently unused. 10 minutes later and we have full automation. Life is good! :)

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
Better to run one 40 Amp circuit, then at the audio room, have a small breaker box to split it into two 20 Amp circuits. Try to reduce the length of the runs from outlet to outlet and component to component. This means start at a central point in the room and star-out the circuits and runs.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing