CH Precision C1

Johnny Moondog

Oct 30, 2014
Curious to know if anyone has heard the CH Precision C1 with an Aurender W20 Music Server?

Last edited:

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

Johnny Moondog

Oct 30, 2014
I know people rave about a C1 with the network card and NAS. But when connecting a W20, is there a preferred digital connection? AES/EBU or USB? The W20 has Dual-wire AES/EBU Mode. Can the C1 be configured with a Dual-wire AES/EBU connection? The W20 has Word Clock Input. Does the C1 output Word Clock to synchronize timing between devices?

redsquare

Dec 9, 2013
Get the C1 with ethernet board and sell the Aurender. Make sure you get the X1 power supply as well - makes a tremendous difference...

Johnny Moondog

Oct 30, 2014
Still have the Aurender W20. Heard the C1/X1 last week and was very impressed! Although not in my system, so no apples to apples.

Matrix

Mar 3, 2014
New Firmware available for the CH Precision C1 (version 3.5).
Don't know the changelog but 352.8 (DXD) and 384 (DXD) are now supported through network streaming.

CH Controller Android App (V1.0) also launched.
You can now setup/control the C1 from your Android device (Phone or Tablet). Simple music selecting/browsing is also possible.

vjayh

May 19, 2012
Dxd 352.8

Thanks for posting! Updated firmware to 3.5. I only have a very few DXD files, but just tried streaming and although it will now play, it has issues. Dropouts, start and stop, distortion. Has anyone else tried? I'm using a Sinology NAS directly thru streaming to C1. Everything else plays fine, as before.

New Firmware available for the CH Precision C1 (version 3.5).
Don't know the changelog but 352.8 (DXD) and 384 (DXD) are now supported through network streaming.

CH Controller Android App (V1.0) also launched.
You can now setup/control the C1 from your Android device (Phone or Tablet). Simple music selecting/browsing is also possible.

Matrix

Mar 3, 2014
So far I have only tried two DXD files. I had no problems with either but I will test further and let you know.
Maybe it's a network bandwidth/throughput problem.
I'm using the CH C1 as streamer/renderer connected to a DS214 Synology NAS through a gigabit router, both powered by a 12V linear PSU.
On the Synology I have minimstreamer and BubbleUPnP Server packages installed and using the Lumin app on the iPad as controller.
The above setup also works with the Aries app but I prefer the Lumin one.

Matrix

Mar 3, 2014
Here is a screen capture from the CH Android App for the C1 playing a DXD file (352.8 kHz).
So far I haven't experienced any dropouts or other problems.

CH Precision AndroidApp1.jpg

Last edited:

vjayh

May 19, 2012
Here is a screen capture from the CH Android App for the C1 playing a DXD file (352.8 kHz).
So far I haven't experienced any dropouts or other problems.

View attachment 20900

Thanks Matrix for the great info. I think you're right, I have some network issues, not sure where. Have a gigbit router and was using Synology's Audio Station (a nice app). Also tried your same setup on my Synology NAS RS814: Minimstreamer + BubbleUPnP, controlled by the CH Precision app on android. Tried some a bunch of different DXD files. They play, but still have dropouts and sibilance/ distortion.

vjayh

May 19, 2012
My C1 plays DXD Wav files fine, but according to CH doesn't yet do DXD Flac files. Probably will be addressed in next update.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Hi Guys
Has anyone compared the C1 DAC to an Audio Note DAC such as the 4.1 or 5.1? I have the 4.1 Kit heavily modded, and am curious how good the C1 actually is. Audio Note is due to bring out a new discrete DAC soon, no idea on price of that yet.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Hello to everybody,

i am new in this forum and i write form Italy.
I have C1 with L1,some years ago i had Audio note Dac 5 signature with cec tlo.
Audio Note is very good,but i think CH C1 is better,more fast with more details and also with natural sound,but to be sure we have to compare together.
Also all system was changed from that time.
This is only my impression.
Next week i will try in my system phono CH P1 with my Kondo GE 1 so could be a similar test,i will write my impression.

Best regards to everybody

Gianluigi Baldi

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hello to everybody,
Audio Note is very good,but i think CH C1 is better,more fast with more details and also with natural sound,but to be sure we have to compare together.
Next week i will try in my system phono CH P1 with my Kondo GE 1 so could be a similar test,i will write my impression.
Gianluigi Baldi

Hello Gianluigi,

My friends and I went to listen to the new P1 phono-amp at the Hong Kong CH Precision dealer yesterday.
P1 is a very good phono-amp indeed!
However we noticed that adding a X1 external power-supply unit to it made a big big difference, turning it into another animal!

Do you have plan to install X1 to your C1 and L1 as well?
The sonic improvement X1 can bring about to them is also not small, but the effect on P1 is most surprising.

Enjoy your P1 audition next week and please tell us your impression here again.

Thanks!

CK

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Dear CK,

i have L1 C1 X1 and 2 A1 in mono passive biamp.
Now i have X1 connected only to L1 because i have only 1 board.
I try X1 with L1 and only with C1 and there is a very good improvement.

Beginning of may will arrive to me a second board to connect X1 also to C1,and i am also curious if X1 works better with 1 board or if quality is the same with 2 board.
Saturday i listen one demonstration of CH in a shop near my home with L1 P1 M1 and one engineer of CH told me that P1 with X1 is much better.

This demonstration was with Esoteric Grandioso,Kronos sparta and Rockport Cygnus with CH line,L1 P1 M1,without X1
I listen in the last 2 months in this shop same speaker and cd with Rowland Criterion and 925,Pandora and mephisto stereo,Dan D Agostino,Esoteric Grandioso C1 and M1,Pass XS and XS 300,always with my test records,but sound with CH,L1 P1 M1 is another world.Much better in every parameter.
Other sound very very well,sure,but CH for my taste,is much better.

We will try tomorrow evening P1 in the system of my friend that have einstein phono with tube amp made in Italy,Viva Audio pre and amp mono Aurora,top of the line and in my home that i have Kondo GE1 with trans Silvercore mc pro,and i will do report to you after finish.

From 1991 i listen in my home only with triode tube amp like Be Yamamura,Shindo,Sakuma,Audiotekne,Audio Note,Kondo,because i find them,for my taste,much better than all transistor amp,but with CH i was surprised and i love them and i bought.
I would like to buy in future P1,D1 and M1

Regards
Gianluigi

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hello to everybody,

Gianluigi Baldi

Fantastic equipment you have and also have heard. Congratulations. Have you tried your Audio Note DAC 5 Signature with Metronome Kalista Reference Transport? I have spoken with an audiophile who has a remarkable system who uses the AN DAC 5Signature with metronome Kalista Reference (or Ultimate?...cannot remember). (His system is Clearaudio Master Reference, Wilson X2, Gryphon Mephisto, ARC Ref Anniversary)

I believe your Transport is excellent but i have never heard it. But i have heard the Kalista Ref Transport, and find it absolutely amazing.

Good luck with CH.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I listen Metronome Kallista with his dac only from italian distributors in Milan.

I have 2 system,
one with Kondo M7 ksl,phono GE 1 and 2 Souga to biamp,with bergmann Sindre and Clearaudio Golfinger Statement and Lyra Atlas,and other with
CH L1 C1 X1 and 2 A1 with my old Wadia S7I that i use for transport.

I always likes tube triode amps,but CH was a surprise for me because have near same natural sound and mid with dynamic and fast sound and very good bass and high frequencies

Regards
Gianluigi

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Dear LL21,
i see you have Wilson X1
My 2 best friends living both 5 minutes from my home have
one with X1 with Mark Levinson 30.5 31.5 32 33
other with Alexandria with Viva preamp and mono Viva Aurora

Regards
Gianluigi

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing