Long run XLR interconnect

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I have used a couple of different sets of 20' and 30' Mogami cables and enjoy them. Hard to go wrong for the money. You can always use them as a reference if you want to compare something else later.

I have used Redco Audio to do custom lengths and terminations with good results.

http://www.redco.com/Custom-Cable.html

Redco did all my custom DB25 cables here in the studio. I have a few 100 footers between the rooms. Excellent service and top notch quality!

number95

May 14, 2014
Thanks you all for your help

Let me make it simpler, if you had to choose a 30' balanced cable? what would you do? (i know some of you already answered, thanks)

arthurs,
No more KR, i am moving away from tubes, the Einstein is the only tube component i got left and for some reason i can't let it go.
(i do have a new room and a new system, i'll update my system thread soon)

I have a 27" balanced cable between preamp and power amps which is Transparent Ref MM (mm2 version) and quite pleased with it.

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
Amazing.
I received those few days back, i hooked them up, amazing results.
I did a quick test with my two other short XLR cables (and much more expensive) and couldn't hear any difference, of course i would need more time to compare but overall i was pleasantly surprised

Thanks!
I received a pair of Mogami Gold Studio 25' interconnects last Thursday and have had them playing in the system since Thursday night. I'm very impressed so far. And yes, cable quality does matter for balanced XLRs, as I can definitely hear a difference between the cheapo MonoPrice XLRs and the Mogamis. I can't however, hear much difference between the JenaLabs Symphony cable (~$1500) and the Mogami, but I haven't done a close comparison.

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
IMO, at 30' the Mogami Gold Stage microphone cable might outperform many high-end audiophile cables. In long lengths, I find it very much more transparent and intrude less on the signal.

The Mogami AES/EBU cable I prefer as a balanced interconnect in short runs - less than 2m. I also like the Quad Neglex, but it has a little higher capacitance and a little lower inductance and I use it for greater than 2m and less than 5m.

With long XLR cables >4m, I haven't found a commercial high-end cable I like as much as the two Mogami. Disclaimer - I haven't tried them all, only the ones that other cable manufacturers have loaned me to try.
What is the audible difference between the digital and mic cables? What about the difference between the stage and studio cables?

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
Digital cables are optimized to have the correct Radio Frequency Characteristic Impedance.

Mic cables are optimized for mechanical factors like robustness and flexibility.

'stage and studio cables' seems to be more about use than cable factors.

All good balanced interconnect cable should have low Shield Current Induced Noise (SCIN) which requires big expensive machines to manufacture the bulk cable.

Good cables don't have a sound it's the noise and interference that the poor cables pick-up that has a sound.

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
Digital cables are optimized to have the correct Radio Frequency Characteristic Impedance.

Mic cables are optimized for mechanical factors like robustness and flexibility.

'stage and studio cables' seems to be more about use than cable factors.

All good balanced interconnect cable should have low Shield Current Induced Noise (SCIN) which requires big expensive machines to manufacture the bulk cable.

Good cables don't have a sound it's the noise and interference that the poor cables pick-up that has a sound.

Thanks, that's what I figured, but the capacitance and inductance are a little different between the digital, stage, and studio cables. I'm pretty happy with the studio 25', so much so that I ordered two pairs of 3' for interconnects between my CDP and phono stage and preamp.

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Firing the old thread back up. I need 30Ft of XLR but NOT interested in $1000 p/f pricing. Any ideas here in 2020? thanks!

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
I ended up going with Darwin Cable's top of the line Truth XLR cables. I can't remember what I spent, but I know it was a lot more than Mogami (and worth it), but I think it was in the $3k range for 21'.
Darwin Cables

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Thanks!
I ended up going with Darwin Cable's top of the line Truth XLR cables. I can't remember what I spent, but I know it was a lot more than Mogami (and worth it), but I think it was in the $3k range for 21'.
Darwin Cables

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
ProCo, Mogami, Canare -- all available at Sweeter Sound (www.sweetwater.com) or any pro audio store. ProCo is good and I've used a bunch in pro and consumer installations. Mogami is great as well but more money. Canare is between them in price (last I checked, year or two ago), but is available in a star-quad configuration for better noise rejection (from external noise) if you need that. Mogami and Canare is available is various styles that have varying degrees of flexibility and shielding.

HTH - Don

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Thanks Don. I was also looking at AudioQuest Earth series XLR, maybe Wind but the price jump is significant even with the typical discount.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Hugh,

Analysis Plus makes great cables for that usage. Their two entry-level tiers:

Chocolate Oval-In at 10 meters = $609
Copper Oval-In at 10 meters = $1755

HTH,
Alex

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Hugh,

Analysis Plus makes great cables for that usage. Their two entry-level tiers:

Chocolate Oval-In at 10 meters = $609
Copper Oval-In at 10 meters = $1755

HTH,
Alex

Alex I have not heard of these. Will research tonight. So many....

DonH50

Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Thanks Don. I was also looking at AudioQuest Earth series XLR, maybe Wind but the price jump is significant even with the typical discount.

Oops, if you are looking for audiophile cables I can't help, sorry. The cables I use have been used in a myriad of recording studios, live sound systems, and such but are the types of things pro audio guys use, and some more subjective audiophile types (I am an EE), not your typical audiophile brands. I'm cheap and figure if they are good enough to work in live venues and recording studios they'll work for me at home... I used to have bags full but quit doing live sound a number of years ago and got rid of most of the cables (and mics, etc.)

Reactions: HughP3

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I have been using 10m AudioQuest Earth XLRs for my front speakers for years and they are excellent. That is not to say that they are superior to other alternatives. My only criticism is that the connectors are of soft metal (intentionally, according to AQ) and do not latch. See: https://www.stereophile.com/content/music-round-74

Reactions: HughP3

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Firing the old thread back up. I need 30Ft of XLR but NOT interested in $1000 p/f pricing. Any ideas here in 2020? thanks!

In the audiophile area, at such length perhaps you should consider the pF/m (capacity per length unit) , not just the source. What is the piece of equipment driving the cable?

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
In the audiophile area, at such length perhaps you should consider the pF/m (capacity per length unit) , not just the source. What is the piece of equipment driving the cable?

Thanks all for the responses, much appreciated!

Microstrip, a Gryphon Pandora pre will be the driver. I can rebuild engines but electrical stuff does not compute. Anyhow I just heard from a dealer that he has a found a 30 foot demo pair of Cardas Clear for a very very good deal. I think I will go with those.

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019

DonH50

Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Unless they are really messed up, or the source impedance really high, the distributed capacitance in 30' of XLR cable won't matter... Star quad does run higher, natch.

Last edited:

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
The longest audiophile cable I've used are the JPS Labs Aluminata at 9m. I love the shielding ... especially for studio use.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing