Connecting a system when nowhere close to a wall outlet!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Let's suppose a system is placed in the middle of a room and the components are connected to a power conditioner of some sort. The latter has a hard-wired power cable and is too short to reach the nearest available wall outlet. Are you basically out of luck at that point or is there a solution?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Extension cords, unsightly as they may be work. How well they work is of course VERY debatable! LOL!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Extension cords, unsightly as they may be work. How well they work is of course VERY debatable! LOL!

I didn't think that was doable for some reason, but if it does then I would assume there to be some loss in quality. It would probably makes sense to have one custom made as opposed to buying one off the shelf.

EDIT: Are there power conditioners with removeable cords out there?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
What's the component in question John? I don't think you need much current so an outdoor type cord used for things like power tools and the like should be okay. These things are heavy though so if anything I would look at changing the wall receptacles or even the plugs to more robust types than the typical household stuff. Hospital grade is always good because they are supposed to prevent arcing. If you're thinking more from an audiophile perspective and current is not the only concern and now you're worrying about things like shielding, then you might consider a longer shielded cord and use that into your conditioner.

For shows I have a long Shunyata Python and a Hydra 2 as my extension cord. It has come in very handy over the years. I don't recall anybody ever complaining. :)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
What's the component in question John? I don't think you need much current so an outdoor type cord used for things like power tools and the like should be okay. These things are heavy though so if anything I would look at changing the wall receptacles or even the plugs to more robust types than the typical household stuff. Hospital grade is always good because they are supposed to prevent arcing. If you're thinking more from an audiophile perspective and current is not the only concern and now you're worrying about things like shielding, then you might consider a longer shielded cord and use that into your conditioner.

For shows I have a long Shunyata Python and a Hydra 2 as my extension cord. It has come in very handy over the years. I don't recall anybody ever complaining. :)

Thanks for that Jack! I was more just thinking out loud as I don't know where my system will be placed once I get to Calgary. I don't think I'll be faced with this issue, but it popped into my head, so I thought I'd ask.

If it did come to pass for some reason, then it would be Monster HDP2400 power unit.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Anytime buddy :)

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Let's suppose a system is placed in the middle of a room and the components are connected to a power conditioner of some sort. The latter has a hard-wired power cable and is too short to reach the nearest available wall outlet. Are you basically out of luck at that point or is there a solution?

Cut the power cord off very close to the the conditioner - maybe leave about 6-9 inches. Then attach a high quality 5-15P connector from Hubbell or Marinco. Then, build or order a good quality extension cord. The extension cord should be 12AwG or better for good performance.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Cut the power cord off very close to the the conditioner - maybe leave about 6-9 inches. Then attach a high quality 5-15P connector from Hubbell or Marinco. Then, build or order a good quality extension cord. The extension cord should be 12AwG or better for good performance.

Hmm...thanks for that Caelin. It's nice to know we have experts here (you too Jack) that come through with valuable suggestions on situations that completely stump this guy! Hopefully I won't be faced with this, but it's nice to know that I won't be out of luck in any event.

Since better power cords, especially those with heavy shielding or charged shielding, sound better, I assume that it is the vulnerability of biwires to EMI or RFI that is the problem. Having a long extension cable would make you more vulnerable therefore. But your in the wall wiring should also be vulnerable. So what would I conclude? Try it and hear.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing