Fascinating Answer: Is this why we are here???

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
No, I don't mean "here" as in planet. But why are we here, the WBF Forum. What makes us want to participate in writing in social media. Why did I choose to text my wife that I love her rather than call her. Was that a good thing? What is the fascination of the youth with non-verbal communication through technology?

Here is a fascinating talk by Sherry Turkle exploring these questions:

It is a must watch. Allocate 20 minutes to watch/listen and then let's discuss if we agree or not with her point of view.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Thanks for posting. Very true - we are becoming more and more robotic & isolated in our interactions, losing that all-important face-to-face interaction.

- Hello, I am Citizen:725920741 !
- Oh, hi! A Cuban Prime in your name!
- You noticed! Thanks. Yes, and I read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_prime_numbers all day and night. And your name?
- I am Citizen:73786976277658337279 - sorry, too old to socialize with you
- Oh no worries, it's a LOVELY name; you are a Carol Prime after all! We are a match! Wanna text some more?

Thankfully, none of this is particularly applicable to us audiophile social butterflies, who rarely shut the door of that solitary listening room behind us and are always willing to occasionally invite a companion as long as no one talks... But who talks at the concert hall or movie theater anyway. Such comfort...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing