Sovtek 6550WE

number95

May 14, 2014
Anyone having any experience and/or using these may comment? I gave up with my SED 6550 winged C after recent tube replacement which cost me 2-3 tube failures and bias issues.

number95

May 14, 2014
Anyone having any experience and/or using these may comment? I gave up with my SED 6550 winged C after recent tube replacement which cost me 2-3 tube failures and bias issues.

Ok. I ordered replacement tubes from ARC ie Sovtek 6550we. First, no issues with bias, all tubes closer to 65ma. Second, initial performance is better than I thought. 6550we is faster, stronger compared to 6550 wc. There are definitely more details and better control. Bass is tighter while perhaps 6550wc had gradually more decay with a tad slower response. There is more midrange energy with 6550we which enhances vividness and better control and speed improving on the realism further. Highs may be slightly a bit rolled off which I am not quite sure. Overall I am very pleased with what I hear. I am surprised as winged c is more expensive and even hard to find as NOS.

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
Ok. I ordered replacement tubes from ARC ie Sovtek 6550we. First, no issues with bias, all tubes closer to 65ma. Second, initial performance is better than I thought. 6550we is faster, stronger compared to 6550 wc. There are definitely more details and better control. Bass is tighter while perhaps 6550wc had gradually more decay with a tad slower response. There is more midrange energy with 6550we which enhances vividness and better control and speed improving on the realism further. Highs may be slightly a bit rolled off which I am not quite sure. Overall I am very pleased with what I hear. I am surprised as winged c is more expensive and even hard to find as NOS.

You are probably comparing good new samples of 6550WE to 6550C that are either old or subpar (there were apparently plenty of these subpar 6550C that reached the market once the factory shut down). Otherwise, even people at ARC I have spoken with consider the 6550C the better tube.

number95

May 14, 2014
You are probably comparing good new samples of 6550WE to 6550C that are either old or subpar (there were apparently plenty of these subpar 6550C that reached the market once the factory shut down). Otherwise, even people at ARC I have spoken with consider the 6550C the better tube.

Hello dmnc02,

Yes 6550WE are the latest samples. I used 6550 winged C on my Ref 610T monos since 2007 so I am very well aware of how they sound. That is why I am surprised after hearing 6550WE.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Help... I mean oops, one of the power tubes in my ARC REF10 preamp was glowing a little odd so I ordered up some replacements from Upscale Audio. I looked only at the manual for my REF10 pre and it said the power supply used 2ea 6550c tubes. But I ordered Svetlana 6550c (not winged c). When I removed the cover the original tubes are Sovtek 6550we.

Should I return them for the Sovtek "we" variant? Has anyone rolled these tubes using the Svetlana?

number95

May 14, 2014
Help... I mean oops, one of the power tubes in my ARC REF10 preamp was glowing a little odd so I ordered up some replacements from Upscale Audio. I looked only at the manual for my REF10 pre and it said the power supply used 2ea 6550c tubes. But I ordered Svetlana 6550c (not winged c). When I removed the cover the original tubes are Sovtek 6550we.

Should I return them for the Sovtek "we" variant? Has anyone rolled these tubes using the Svetlana?

I believe Sovtek WE is the current production 6550 which ARC uses in their 6550 based models. 6550c Svetlana is out of production, the tubes left at market stocks are said to be vary in terms of quality. 2 years ago I specifically looked to get 6550c to roll for my Ref 610Ts, the performance was very poor (faulty tubes and bias problems) given also the cost of those. I then replaced them with WE from ARC and no issues remained.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I believe Sovtek WE is the current production 6550 which ARC uses in their 6550 based models. 6550c Svetlana is out of production, the tubes left at market stocks are said to be vary in terms of quality. 2 years ago I specifically looked to get 6550c to roll for my Ref 610Ts, the performance was very poor (faulty tubes and bias problems) given also the cost of those. I then replaced them with WE from ARC and no issues remained.

Yes Num, I understand... winged C no longer in production, new Svetlana (from a different factory) 6550c does not have the =C= designation and appears to be reliable. Sovtec 6550we is what ARC is using. My error was having used Svetlana in the past in ARC amps, and the manual not stating "we" variant, only 6550c. Had I pulled the cover before ordering I'd have gone with the Sovtec, so now looking for any comparisons between the two, particularly in the power supply of a REF10 preamp.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Yes Num, I understand... winged C no longer in production, new Svetlana (from a different factory) 6550c does not have the =C= designation and appears to be reliable. Sovtec 6550we is what ARC is using. My error was having used Svetlana in the past in ARC amps, and the manual not stating "we" variant, only 6550c. Had I pulled the cover before ordering I'd have gone with the Sovtec, so now looking for any comparisons between the two, particularly in the power supply of a REF10 preamp.

As stated above, the original winged 'c' 6550's are excellent tubes. I use them in my ARC amp and they sound great. The newer Svet's are a different beast.
Bob, i wonder if it would be worth while trying to source original GE 6550's ( pricey though). IME, these are the very best 6550's ever made. Somewhat unobtanium right now, but may be an option for you. Might be worth a conversation with Uncle Kevin about.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I've tried the GE tubes. Different, not necessarily better IMHO. Not worth the $$, to me.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing