Portugal

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Don, just chatting in agreement with your post.

I am all for feedback done the best it can be, but troubled by the fact that a good tube unit, without feedback and with a bandlimited output transformer, used within its limits, can engage ones soul on music that is not too complex...ie jazz and a lot of older rock and roll. Full orchestral works IMO need solid state to even attempt to sound right at any realistic volume levels.

Tom

Can not disagree with you more. Please tell us what tube amps you're referring to. Or course a 3 watt SET is not going to cut the mustard.

Most of us feel that tube amps sound 2x as powerful as any solid state amp. I'll put any high powered ARC, cj, VAC, VTL amp against your high powered solid state amp of choice. Sorry but it's no contest. Nowadays it's not even a question of quantity vs. quality. Tubes capture both qualities.

FYI, have a listen to an ARC 210 or 610T, VTL 450mk. 2, 750 or Wotan, or the cj ART. You're going to be mighty surprised.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Can not disagree with you more. Please tell us what tube amps you're referring to. Or course a 3 watt SET is not going to cut the mustard.

Most of us feel that tube amps sound 2x as powerful as any solid state amp. I'll put any high powered ARC, cj, VAC, VTL amp against your high powered solid state amp of choice. Sorry but it's no contest. Nowadays it's not even a question of quantity vs. quality. Tubes capture both qualities.

FYI, have a listen to an ARC 210 or 610T, VTL 450mk. 2, 750 or Wotan, or the cj ART. You're going to be mighty surprised.

Myles

Since it is a matter of preference, one cannot ask you to prove anything. I must simply suggest that the word "any" is too strong in
Most of us feel that tube amps sound 2x as powerful as any solid state amp. I'll put any high powered ARC, cj, VAC, VTL amp against your high powered solid state amp of choice.
I have been in this hobby for a long time and nowadays the better SS and Tubes sound more alike than different. I will add, in passing, that the more celebrated amps nowadays seem to be SS ... but hey, if you prefer tubes .. more enjoyment to you ...

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Myles

Since it is a matter of preference, one cannot ask you to prove anything. I must simply suggest that the word "any" is too strong in .
I have been in this hobby for a long time and nowadays the better SS and Tubes sound more alike than different. I will add, in passing, that the more celebrated amps nowadays seem to be SS ... but hey, if you prefer tubes .. more enjoyment to you ...

I agree with you, Frantz. I've heard most (not all) of the high end tube amps, including, without limitation, Lamm, ARC, VTL, CJ, etc., and most (not all) of the high end SS amps, including, without limitation, Spectral, Bryston, Halcro, etc. I would exclude from the discussion those tube or SS amps which are purposefully designed to deliver something other than neutral/flat, which IMO should not be considered high end. But for the rest, play any of them at less than clipping volume, blind so as to eliminate all of the biases, and the differences are subtle to none. Those slight differences are what result in a person's flavor choice.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Yes, always some impedance or resistance somewhere, whether rp or rk or re or some capacitance somewhere blah blah. It is funny how folks can be anti feedback and not understand the real deal about a triode.

Interesting thought Tom. Can you explain this to my very simple mind

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Me loves harmonics :)

Do continue Tom por favor.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Tomelex

I have a hard time reconciling what I think I know about feedback with what the person describes as "internal feedback". Feedback is taking the differences between the input and the output (The distortion if you will) reversing it (changing its polarity) and feeding it back to the input... I don't see how the triode accomplishes that ...
Second the triode linearity is indeed true but the output of a triode has severe limits one of them Power, thus the development of multi electrodes tubes. Also, one could say that most amplifying devices are linear within a certain region, MOSFET for example region of "linearity" is quite broad when compared to a regular bipolar transistor. This region, interestingly is often called the "Triode" Region.
Feedback, is quite decried but it has its good uses one of them is to align/match device parameters... it is for example very difficult to find transistors or tubes with exact matched parameters.. A certain degree of feedback brings the parameters of the circuits more in line, make them more equal... When TIM was discovered the culprit was excessive amount of feedback which while allowing great measurements of THD and FR, ultimately produced great amount of Transient Intermodulation Distortion. It was thus seen then that reducing the feedback reduced TIM... I am not sure that removing feedback entirely is always a good thing as it introduces other problems, namely limited FR and increase in intermodulation and THD.. As always it is a matter of balance and great designers balance their circuits/designs as to take several conflicting parameters and constraints into an harmonious whole.
In the word of Forrest Gump .. "And that is all that I have to say about that"

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing