The Great Amercian Speaker Company?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Unfortunately "Dorothy were are not in Kansas any more." I've never been one elevate form over substance. There is no reason why ML can't make a quality product in Canada for export to America. I can't help but lament the loss of of yet another company. That's their call. I personally think it will come back to haunt them.
Jim Powers has retired. I could see the handwriting on the wall. My request for new panels was processed by a nice long lady(Melodie Brouhard). I never heard anything from her. I am sure Jim would have contacted me just to see everything was OK. Ironically Jim is still being listed as a current employee on the ML website.
yes good things can always happen under these circumstances. But they rarely do. Most disturbing is the plan to end support of some of the older models. I INVITE MARTIN LOGAN TO COME ON THIS SITE AND SOOTHE OUR FEARS. Maybe they will ease their patent restrictions and allow some of the former technicians to form a repair company for those orphaned modest.
It is likely that I will end up being the co/moderator of this Martin Logan forum. I plan to avoid some of the mistakes I made on another site. We should all be able to find some common ground and disagree amicably. i don't want to have to censor or discipline anybody. I just hope all I have to do is make comments on how to get the the most of our Logan's.
I plan to inform ML and my local ML dealers that I am moderating this site. I hope they would include in their press rellease list.
gregadd

Last edited by a moderator:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I feel like I walked into the middle of the conversation :). What is the deal with Canada vs US?

BTW, I thought they had one of the best demos at CEDIA. The bookshelf prototype speakers were remarkable even putting aside their $200 price!

Then again, letting Fry's sell their gear is criminal. It does far more damage to the brand than increased revenues can compensate. Setup in the isle, playing awful content, is no way to showcase a premium product.

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
I believe the last communication from ML was that they're still noodling for which models they will no longer provide panels, but that they'll provide plenty of notice for a "last buy".

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I believe the last communication from ML was that they're still noodling for which models they will no longer provide panels, but that they'll provide plenty of notice for a "last buy".

Thanks.

I'm in the if it's not broke then don't fix it crowd.....................I'll be playing the odds on break down I guess.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I plan to contact ML for thier "official word " on the subject. Product support is thier sine qua non as far as I am concerned. It has been in decline for a while. Jim Powers was handcuffed IME and IMO. When i ordered my new CLS panels recently there was a delay because they were not "in stock). The fact that they decided to go "modular" from the beginning was brilliant. Shipping the entire speaker back to the factory would have been prohibitive.
Empirically most of the popular models sold well and are still in use. I imagine they are some models whose numbers just don't merit continued support.

"...they'll provide plenty of notice for a "last buy...". . It just scares people who had no intention of buying to make purchase out of fear. To me that just sucks.

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
ML's official word as of 3/4:
Guys, I got some answers to the service panels question after a conversation with Rob Zimmerman (for those who aren't following along, he's heading up the transition team):

"Service panels will continue to be hand-built here in Lawrence, KS. That might change at some point in the next few years, but for now we will continue to build those in the US."

As far as which models we will still replace? For now, Rob tells me they can do all models, and that won't change for AT LEAST another 6 months. BUT, during that time, they will be evaluating that policy.

I will let everyone know ahead of time with any decisions about this policy, and I'll be sure to let YOU know as soon as I know.
http://67.19.167.226/~tdacquis/forum/showpost.php?p=118611&postcount=500

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Thanks RUR. That should hold us for the time being.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I have a pr. of Aerius i's in my HT and the panels were just replaced after 15 years or so. When I told the guy at ML that I needed new panels he asked how old the speakers were. When he heard 15 years he said I got way more life than the norm. The output of those panels lessens with years. I did the replacement here at home...it's cake.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I too am sorry to see Jim Powers go. I've been a Martin-Logan owner since the days of the Quests and currently use the Summits in my reference system. Jim was always there to help with different issues and certainly he made a large contribution to the design of their hybrid estats. One wonders who will fill his role?

The beauty of the Summits is best summed up by something I wrote in my Tape Project piece for Positive Feedback, "Audiophiles with reel-to-reel tape decks are in for a real special treat with the release of the 15-ips tape version of Reference Recordings 1993 Grammy nominated recording (for best classical recording), Arnold Overtures. For the first time ever, audiophiles have a real opportunity to experience and appreciate Keith O. Johnson's genius. Or as Paul unhesitatingly shares, "Keith's recordings never stop giving one rewards as the playback system improves. That's unlike other recordings that have a ceiling and then begin to show issues in the recording."

What's true for KOJ recordings also holds true for the Summits. As the playback system and electronics improve, the speakers continue to improve. I've yet to hit a ceiling on the speakers!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Myles. Thanks for posting. I hope youi don't mind that I use your post to site my policy on indicating ones affiliation. It's not written in stone but you may and should announce your affiliation with any audio related business. I don't thinks it's appropriate to provide a URL or announce any sales opportunities. So, what you did is fine and should serve as an example for others. If anyone takes issue with that please contact me via private message before posting. I will submit your problem to the administrator.
Melnaie Brouhard has been annouced as his replacement. I think we all should contact her with our problems. No doubt in the beginning she can learn form us. Ironically the ML website is still touting Jim as thier service manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing