I bought an OPPO BDP-105 !!!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
This is not for video use, only audio. For $1,200.00 this thing sounds great. My primary motivation was for playing back HDCD's of which I have a bunch of...mostly live Grateful Dead. Previously I would rip the files to the computer and use DBPoweramp to decode them into 24/44.1 files that I would burn to DVD-R and playback on my PS Audio Perfect Wave. That was a pain and time consuming. Prior to buying the OPPO, I dusted off my Levinson No. 36 which would decode HDCD. The unit fried on startup.

The one thing the OPPO does not seem to do is playback a data dvd from hi-rez files burned to it. Is there a special protocol I can use to burn hi-rez audio files to DVD-R and playback on the OPPO ? Apparently the protocol I use to do that for the Perfect Wav is not compatible. TIA

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
This is not for video use, only audio. For $1,200.00 this thing sounds great. My primary motivation was for playing back HDCD's of which I have a bunch of...mostly live Grateful Dead. Previously I would rip the files to the computer and use DBPoweramp to decode them into 24/44.1 files that I would burn to DVD-R and playback on my PS Audio Perfect Wave. That was a pain and time consuming. Prior to buying the OPPO, I dusted off my Levinson No. 36 which would decode HDCD. The unit fried on startup.

The one thing the OPPO does not seem to do is playback a data dvd from hi-rez files burned to it. Is there a special protocol I can use to burn hi-rez audio files to DVD-R and playback on the OPPO ? Apparently the protocol I use to do that for the Perfect Wav is not compatible. TIA

Congrats Christian on the purchase of the OPPO BDP-105. I do not have one at the moment, but have had several of their older models and I always thought they were excellent. Regarding your question...contact OPPO via email and they will get back to you within hours (although maybe not on a sunday). Their CS is outstanding and I am sure they can guide you and resolve the issue you are having.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
It will play a data disc (either CD, DVD or Bluray, PCM or DSD), but you have to go to the menu and choose playback from file, then choose your disc as the file source. I don't think it will play gapless this way, though. Other options are to put the files on a USB thumb drive, or burn a DVD-A with Cirlinca HD Solo, Minnetonka Disc Wielder, etc. I use Cirlinca, it's cheap and easy.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Awesome purchase...I had an Oppo 83 that was modd'd and worked it double-duty as both audio transport and movie player...til it broke. I got a standard Oppo 95 at half off when the 105 came out...it only does duty as a movie player now, digital out to Zanden, and its great. Congrats and enjoy!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
It will play a data disc (either CD, DVD or Bluray, PCM or DSD), but you have to go to the menu and choose playback from file, then choose your disc as the file source. I don't think it will play gapless this way, though. Other options are to put the files on a USB thumb drive, or burn a DVD-A with Cirlinca HD Solo, Minnetonka Disc Wielder, etc. I use Cirlinca, it's cheap and easy.

Seems like the menu OP's are limited unless the thing is hooked up to a TV ? Can you choose playback from file via remote and the unit or does it need to have a TV screen to use those menu OP's ?

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
For all practical purposes you need a video screen to properly use the Oppo 105, and it needs to be HDMI compatible. I have a 7" monitor I use when I need to, easily out of the way when I don't.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
For all practical purposes you need a video screen to properly use the Oppo 105, and it needs to be HDMI compatible. I have a 7" monitor I use when I need to, easily out of the way when I don't.

That's a good idea. I have a couple old flat screen computer monitors lying around.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
That's a good idea. I have a couple old flat screen computer monitors lying around.
They need HDMI in because that's all the 105 has for video out (that's a requirement of the Bluray group for all current Bluray players)

Audioseduction

Dec 6, 2010
FLORIDA
Maybe one of my laptops has an hdmi or I can buy a small flatscreen with hdmi input.

Laptop do not have HDMI input, just output.

joshnich

May 5, 2014
Northern California
The Oppo app works pretty well for using an ipad for control and accessing menus. But I agree a monitor is better. Using the touch screen for control is a little cumbersome.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
The Oppo app works pretty well for using an ipad for control and accessing menus. But I agree a monitor is better. Using the touch screen for control is a little cumbersome.

I did not know there was an app to access OPPO menu's on the unit using my phone. I will have to try that.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Modright just came out with a mod for about $2K.

Puts tube in the unit with a separate power supply.

See TAS 248.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Modright just came out with a mod for about $2K.

Puts tube in the unit with a separate power supply.

See TAS 248.
Came out with it over a year ago, it got a Brutus award from PFO last year and we've had topics here (and of course other audiophile forums) on tube choices for better sound.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
The Oppo 105 is an awesome universal player. I had the modded 105 by ModWright, which took to a whole new, higher level. I n my system, it bested my Burmester 069 and Great Northern Sound Co. Wadia S7i. I just purchased the new ModWright Elyse DAC and just now another 105, but with Darbee processing. Good luck and enjoy.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
How good is the Elsye?
It ships out this coming Wednesday. But according to Dan Wright, it is quite a big jump up from the ModWright 105.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing