Using RTA To Get A Curve

jcmusic

May 20, 2010
Just Outside New Orleans, La.
Anyone here ever try using the RTA feature of REW to get a nice sounding curve? If so what settings did you use and how does the curve look when measured using the sweep measurement?

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
I have used an RTA but not REV. Typical curve elevated below 100Hz or so and a roll-off above about 7-8K. That's an old shot from the listening position with both channels with pink noise.

Rob:)

Attachments

• L+R with EQ-1.jpg
    L+R with EQ-1.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:

mojave

Oct 29, 2010
Elkhorn, NE
Anyone here ever try using the RTA feature of REW to get a nice sounding curve? If so what settings did you use and how does the curve look when measured using the sweep measurement?
The RTA in REW will measure the same as a sweep measurement. I've done it many times and so have others. The RTA doesn't give you the depth of information about your sweep (no waterfall, impulse response, etc.). The RTA is useful for finding the best spot for subwoofers and can help confirm EQ settings done based on the sweep measurements.

jcmusic

May 20, 2010
Well I have all the measurements I could ever use I just tried the RTA as a quick way to get a good sounding curve. I have enough info already waterfalls. Ir, etc. Just wanted to compare the measurements to the RTA curve and see how much of a difference there was.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

IMHO you do not use REW to get nice sounding curves. You use it to diagnose your room and speaker placement. The settings depend on what you are looking at that exact moment and IMHO there is no standard good looking curve - it depends a lot on speaker, system and user preference.

jcmusic

May 20, 2010
IMHO you do not use REW to get nice sounding curves. You use it to diagnose your room and speaker placement. The settings depend on what you are looking at that exact moment and IMHO there is no standard good looking curve - it depends a lot on speaker, system and user preference.

Ok I have already placed the speakers and treatment and subs and got all the useful info I need on the room and the system, so why not use the RTA feature to get a good sounding curve???

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Ok I have already placed the speakers and treatment and subs and got all the useful info I need on the room and the system, so why not use the RTA feature to get a good sounding curve???

How are you going to adjust the measured curve?? DSP, conventional EQ??

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
So what have you tried? You are not happy with your present sound? How are your measurements? You should look pretty flat with 1/3 octave smoothing. How many bands of parametric do you have and is it digital or analog?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

The RTA will be nice to control, but you will probably find that the best sounding curve (meaning your preferred one) is not the nicest looking one. But if you need something to guide yourself you can always download the manuals of some existing room correction systems and use their target curves.

jcmusic

May 20, 2010
So what have you tried? You are not happy with your present sound? How are your measurements? You should look pretty flat with 1/3 octave smoothing. How many bands of parametric do you have and is it digital or analog?

I am using 2 Yamaha YDP 2006's one for the mains and one for the subs. They convert analog-digital-analog, I am very happy with the sound the curves look fine. I just wanted to try using the rta instead of sweeps and compare the two curves visually and note the difference in sound. The eq's can be adjusted from 20hz to 20khz +- 12db and 0-10 Q.

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
I just wanted to try using the rta instead of sweeps and compare the two curves visually and note the difference in sound.

There may not be a significant change in sound. The sweeps are much more accurate depending on the smoothing used. I have compared measurements that were changed from 1/12 octave to 1/3 and then to a 1/3 octave RTA measurement. What I found using my software was that the 1/3 smoothed measurement compared very closely to a 1/3 octave RTA measurement. The only obvious difference was the instability in the lower frequencies because of the gate time chosen. I would be careful changing things if you are happy. If you got it nailed don't fix what's not broken.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
You can set custom curves in REW. REW will spit out several PEQ filters. You can then add those filters to Jriver or similar and then remeasure to verify. I think you can even add all the filters to Jriver in the form of a .wav file so you don't have to manually add them, although I've never done that.

RTA isn't really designed to set a custom curve. I think most folks use the RTA function when moving subs around to avoid big modes and/or deep nulls at certain frequencies in different parts of the room.

I haven't set a curve in REW in a while so I can't advise but I know Hometheatershack is your friend.

jcmusic

May 20, 2010
There may not be a significant change in sound. The sweeps are much more accurate depending on the smoothing used. I have compared measurements that were changed from 1/12 octave to 1/3 and then to a 1/3 octave RTA measurement. What I found using my software was that the 1/3 smoothed measurement compared very closely to a 1/3 octave RTA measurement. The only obvious difference was the instability in the lower frequencies because of the gate time chosen. I would be careful changing things if you are happy. If you got it nailed don't fix what's not broken.

I have a few storage channels so I can save curves and go back to them with a push of a button, so no harm in trying different settings.

jcmusic

May 20, 2010
You can set custom curves in REW. REW will spit out several PEQ filters. You can then add those filters to Jriver or similar and then remeasure to verify. I think you can even add all the filters to Jriver in the form of a .wav file so you don't have to manually add them, although I've never done that.

RTA isn't really designed to set a custom curve. I think most folks use the RTA function when moving subs around to avoid big modes and/or deep nulls at certain frequencies in different parts of the room.

I haven't set a curve in REW in a while so I can't advise but I know Hometheatershack is your friend.
Using the RTA feature was just a quick idea and expirement so it's not in stone just thought I'd try it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing