What is the best transport? (For those not interested in computer audio rabbit hole)

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Esoteric seems to be the best OEM transport now. Several high-end manufacturers are using their transports inside their own chassis.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Some CD transports using the Philips CDM 12 Pro 2 were known to sound very good. Unfortunately it is no more manufactured, although it is possible to source them easily.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
EERA unfortunately not a universal transport. For CD I don't find the need for an external dac either. My hirez and red book are thus separate.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I used to use an Oppo 83 custom-mod'd as a transport which sounded excellent though certainly not the best, having compared it directly as a transport with Esoteric (X-01SE) and Audio Aero La Source (Esoteric Neo V transport inside)...its just that being universal made things quite easy since I use the system for playing movies as well.

I struggled for the longest time on transports vs waiting for computer audio to get it easy/right (for me)...in the end, I had an opportunity to hear the Zanden Transport and consider myself fortunate to have gotten it at a steep discount. The other transport I have heard is the Metronome Kalista Ref, truly stunning.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
While i agree Esoteric makes the best transport "mechanisms" dCS arguably make the best transports (dCS uses the Esoteric mechanisms internally....). However some other pretty good mechanisms out there such as the Philips pro..not sure if it's still made...

I also think the interface between trans and dac are crucial...so in a higher end set up it maybe best to get the dac and trans from the same company...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi does anyone know how the Esoteric DV50 or DV60 is? I would like to get an universal player that I will also use as transport for some CDs. It's ok if it is not as good as a dedicated CD transport, but would like to know if one such good one exists

number95

May 14, 2014
While i agree Esoteric makes the best transport "mechanisms" dCS arguably make the best transports (dCS uses the Esoteric mechanisms internally....). However some other pretty good mechanisms out there such as the Philips pro..not sure if it's still made...

I also think the interface between trans and dac are crucial...so in a higher end set up it maybe best to get the dac and trans from the same company...

+1

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
For redbook, I find the Esoteric P-0s and Forsell extremely satisfying.
Still sound good after all these years :p

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
For redbook, I find the Esoteric P-0s and Forsell extremely satisfying.
Still sound good after all these years :p

The Esoteric P-0s is without a doubt my favourite pick for the best transport mechanism. The Forsell use a Phillips CDM-Pro mechanism. They have however customised it heavily and the customisation has made it very unstable.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi does anyone know how the Esoteric DV50 or DV60 is? I would like to get an universal player that I will also use as transport for some CDs. It's ok if it is not as good as a dedicated CD transport, but would like to know if one such good one exists

I used to own a DV50s. It's a solid and VERY well built machine. Wish I never had sold it...for DVD's, the picture was superb and I have never "heard" movies the same ever since. It was simply killer watching and especially !! listening to a DVD.

I think the DV60 is even better and has a word clock in if you happen to externally clock/synch

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Best one I have had experience with is the big MBL.

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
I used to use an Oppo 83 custom-mod'd as a transport which sounded excellent though certainly not the best, having compared it directly as a transport with Esoteric (X-01SE) and Audio Aero La Source (Esoteric Neo V transport inside)...its just that being universal made things quite easy since I use the system for playing movies as well.

I struggled for the longest time on transports vs waiting for computer audio to get it easy/right (for me)...in the end, I had an opportunity to hear the Zanden Transport and consider myself fortunate to have gotten it at a steep discount. The other transport I have heard is the Metronome Kalista Ref, truly stunning.

Hello LL21, would it be possible for you to share your thoughts on how the Zanden compares with the Kalista in terms of rhythm and pace, microdynamics, timbres and low level detail? I suspect the Zanden may well have better rhythm and pace but not sure! Both of these are on my list along with the Vivaldi transport. DACs on the list include MSB Diamond, Vivaldi, Berkely Ref and Gryphon Kaliope. Any feedback you could provide would be much appreciated. Many thanks. Ash

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hello LL21, would it be possible for you to share your thoughts on how the Zanden compares with the Kalista in terms of rhythm and pace, microdynamics, timbres and low level detail? I suspect the Zanden may well have better rhythm and pace but not sure! Both of these are on my list along with the Vivaldi transport. DACs on the list include MSB Diamond, Vivaldi, Berkely Ref and Gryphon Kaliope. Any feedback you could provide would be much appreciated. Many thanks. Ash

Hi Ash,

I am no expert and did not do scientific-level shoot-outs. Here are my thoughts:

1. For the Zanden DAC, I think the Zanden Transport is far and away the most sensible due to its i2s connection which I can confirm is by far the best way to hook them together.

2. For another DAC? Tougher...and instinctively I feel like some might prefer the Metronome Kalista which has a slightly more intellectual bent to it...kind of how Pletnev plays piano as opposed to Horowitz for example. One more intellectual and contemplative, the other more old school romantic (but still with brilliant fingering and technical). Zanden more Horowitz.

3. Unquestionably prefer the Zanden transport (even when NOT hooked up with i2s to my Zanden) vs the Esoteric X-01 or Audio Aero (via digital out and also an Esoteric transport). I found the Esoteric X-01 to be a lesser Pletnev if you know what I mean...but only in the context of something like the Metronome Kalista which is just insanely good. Again, both Esoterics were hooked up to my Zanden so even without the i2s hookup, there are still synergies that the Zanden Transport had (vs the Esoterics) so not entirely fair fight. Again, I was not doing this to review the products...but to consider the best transport for my own Zanden DAC.

On the standalone DAC side, I have my own preferences, but having heard the Stahl-Tek...I instinctively am most curious about the Gryphon Kalliope, where I have seen some make favourable comparisons.

Finally, I have heard the Vivaldi...and I could easily see someone saying (if money no object) I am getting it, and I am not bothering listening to anything else (any minor improvements or deductions here or there are minimal at this level)...I am 'DONE' with Vivaldi. Its got detail, pace, weight, space, etc.

Last edited:

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
Hi Ash,

I am no expert and did not do scientific-level shoot-outs. Here are my thoughts:

1. For the Zanden DAC, I think the Zanden Transport is far and away the most sensible due to its i2s connection which I can confirm is by far the best way to hook them together.

2. For another DAC? Tougher...and instinctively I feel like some might prefer the Metronome Kalista which has a slightly more intellectual bent to it...kind of how Pletnev plays piano as opposed to Horowitz for example. One more intellectual and contemplative, the other more old school romantic (but still with brilliant fingering and technical). Zanden more Horowitz.

3. Unquestionably prefer the Zanden transport (even when NOT hooked up with i2s to my Zanden) vs the Esoteric X-01 or Audio Aero (via digital out and also an Esoteric transport). I found the Esoteric X-01 to be a lesser Pletnev if you know what I mean...but only in the context of something like the Metronome Kalista which is just insanely good. Again, that was hooked up to my Zanden so even without the i2s hookup, there are still synergies so not entirely fair. Again, I was not doing this to review the products...but to consider a transport for my own Zanden DAC.

On the standalone DAC side, I have my own preferences, but having heard the Stahl-Tek...I instinctively am most curious about the Gryphon Kalliope.

Finally, I have heard the Vivaldi...and I could easily see someone saying, money aside, I am getting it, and I am not bothering listening to anything else (any minor improvements or deductions here or there are minimal at this level)...I am 'DONE' with Vivaldi. Its got detail, pace, weight, space, etc.

Hello LL21, Many, many thanks for taking the time provide such detailed and helpful feedback. Really appreciate it. Happy listening! Best Regards, Ash

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hello LL21, Many, many thanks for taking the time provide such detailed and helpful feedback. Really appreciate it. Happy listening! Best Regards, Ash

Good luck! Just my two cents. Let us all know if you have further questions as you go along...transports (for me) are funny. Expensive, questionable in terms of long-term use and therefore the quality of your investment...and yet getting the Zanden Transport ended up after 5 years of debating (and waiting for the right price) to be the best solution (for me). Its my turntable and my CDs are my LP collection.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The Esoteric P-0s is without a doubt my favourite pick for the best transport mechanism. The Forsell use a Phillips CDM-Pro mechanism. They have however customised it heavily and the customisation has made it very unstable.

The Forsell used the CDM9 Pro swing-arm cd mechanism - a legend itself, used by several famous transports. Although it is not available anymore, it uses the same laser block as other Philips mechanisms and the laser can be easily serviced. It had several versions, my MK1 was really very unstable, never had any problem with the MK3. Still feel guilty of having sold it. :eek: Only the Calypso could make me forget it. ;)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
...Although [Philips CDM9 Pro mechanism] is not available anymore...never had any problem with the MK3. Still feel guilty of having sold it. :eek: Only the Calypso could make me forget it. ;)

As well it should! Your Calypso Ref's predecessor, the Kalista Ref is a legendary transport...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing