802 Diamond Deficencies?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
The B&W 802 Diamond can sound excellent - just had the proof a few days ago. Remember that they have a different tweeter crossover than the B&W 800 Diamond - the previously referred graphs of the FR probably do not apply. If you feel happy reading supportive opinions on your speakers do a search in the gearslutz forum. www.gearslutz.com;)
BTW, the B&W802 Diamond / DartZeel combination with Transparent Opus MM2 speaker and IC cables was tried. It exceeded our expectations - and the owner budget!

Microstrip, thanks for the heads up. Had a look at the gearslutz forum but couldn't find the 802 thread so hey-ho. I don't have any great cabling for my system at the moment but even without Transparent Opus MM2 my system sounds pretty stunning so I'm in no great hurry to change my cable loom. I have tried a couple of cables but nothing worthwhile compared to the Mogami I currently use. The Transparent would be wonderful I'm sure but at the moment my budget probably doesn't reach half of that. Ho-hum. If you know where the 802 thread on the GS's forum maybe you can post another link. Cheers.

It's hard to pinpoint the exact one Francisco had in mind...I did search:

? https://www.gearslutz.com/board/mastering-forum/1029977-b-w-800-d3-new-800-diamond-series.html

Last edited:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Sadly have to Agree on the B+W Diamonds 800/802s--I have friend with them and the ear fatigue is near on immediate--an altogether a rather flawed product--pity they do Bass pretty well

I used to own the Silver Signatures--now that WAS a great Speaker--those Diamond Dogs are just that in my book--sorry to offend:(

I would not have them-

Carry on chaps

BruceD

Have you seen the new 802 measurements - I have not heard them and really don't need to. I have never seen a frequency response climbing steadily UP from 20hz to 20khz quite like that. Madness.

Sencha

Nov 11, 2013
U.K.
Hi Bill, I heard these the other week and have to say they sound so much sweeter than the outgoing 802 D's and have a bell like clarity that is arresting to say the least. I am not someone who necessarily has their foot in the measurement camp, to me hearing is believing so all I can say is to approach with an open mind, you may get a surprise.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
The B&W is the most popular high-end speaker so yes, it is surprising that we don't have more participation from members who own them.

B&W have a massive PR department. That explains why their name keeps popping up everywhere. I have heard B&W many times and I was never taken by the sound: too hifi for me. In the end I chose the Kef 207/2 and I am still very happy with those. Kef DID manage to put the mid and high driver into one unit, at great succes. Good luck with your quest for perfection :) !

Patrick Butler

Sep 17, 2015
Hi nirodha,

Our PR department (insofar as we actually have one) is quite small. We have 30 engineers in Steyning at our R&D department. PR? Less than half that amount.

Best regards,

Patrick Butler
B&W Group North America

B&W have a massive PR department. That explains why their name keeps popping up everywhere. I have heard B&W many times and I was never taken by the sound: too hifi for me. In the end I chose the Kef 207/2 and I am still very happy with those. Kef DID manage to put the mid and high driver into one unit, at great succes. Good luck with your quest for perfection :) !

Patrick Butler

Sep 17, 2015
Hi amirm,

Nothing major from Bowers & Wilkins, as our product release cycles rarely intersect with CES. New 800 Series launched September 2015, so this will be an even smaller CES for us than usual. CEDIA in North America and ISE in Europe are much bigger shows for us.

Best Regards,

Patrick Butler
B&W Group North America

Welcome to the forum Patrick. Are there going to be new products at CES?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks Patrick. I always go to CEDIA and will look for your new stuff there this coming year. I have only been to ISE once and its focus seemed to be quite commercial.

I take it custom channel is a significant part of your business now to be at those shows?

Patrick Butler

Sep 17, 2015
We are well-established in the traditional consumer stereo and home theater market. The custom channel is robust, and continues to grow at a very nice pace. All the hard R&D work that goes into designing our traditional stereo products can be deployed in products whose application might be different (mounting in the ceiling), but result is the same.

Regards,

Patrick
B&W Group North America

Thanks Patrick. I always go to CEDIA and will look for your new stuff there this coming year. I have only been to ISE once and its focus seemed to be quite commercial.

I take it custom channel is a significant part of your business now to be at those shows?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks again. A number high-end brands have branched into custom channel to good results I think.

Patrick Butler

Sep 17, 2015
Certainly a very important component in our overall business, as it has been since 1990 when we came to market with our first in-wall loudspeaker.

Best,

Patrick
B&W Group North America

Thanks again. A number high-end brands have branched into custom channel to good results I think.

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
From what I gather, the new 800 D3 series is a drastic overhaul and improvement of the previous generation: less fatiguing, even more transparent, etc. Of course, they are quite a bit more expensive, too. I'd like to hear the 803 D3 model--it would be at the limit of my budget.

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
5 Years later I bought a pair and absolutely love them!

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing