DEQX HDP-4 - Speaker calibration

Philippe75

Oct 24, 2014
France
Hi to everyone,

I am a new French user of this forum that I discovered a few days ago. I will take time to read posts in coming days as it seems there is a lot of information shared here.

I am also a recent DEQX customer, model HDP-4 that I use as a digital PRE, DAC and linear phase crossover for a 3 amp active system. I used a XILICA digital crossover and REW for months, and decided to move to DEQX to simplify my system, work in full digital and erradicate noises generated by mixing HiFi and Pro devices.

If my first attempt to measure the 3 drivers of the speaker seems good, I do have some difficulties to setup an accurate crossover in between MR and TW. When I look at drivers' measures (100% smooth or less), I can not see difficulties to design a strong 192dB or 300dB linear phase crossover (at specific XO frequency, target curve in between MR and TW is "quite" linear). But when I look at the calibration result, there is a heavy notch that I can not erradicate, even when adjusting XO frequency. I therefore suppose there is a phase issue, but phase graph do not give much information...

How can I analyse in deep the problem to get ridd of this notch? Any comment?
I will see how to post pictures to clarify my problem.

Thanks to all in advance.

Phil

--
Edit: this post should probably be moved to another section in the forum (Speaker)...

Last edited:

lgo51

Jan 15, 2015
RockyMtn High
Did you find an answer?

Hi to everyone,

I am a new French user of this forum that I discovered a few days ago. I will take time to read posts in coming days as it seems there is a lot of information shared here.

I am also a recent DEQX customer, model HDP-4 that I use as a digital PRE, DAC and linear phase crossover for a 3 amp active system. I used a XILICA digital crossover and REW for months, and decided to move to DEQX to simplify my system, work in full digital and erradicate noises generated by mixing HiFi and Pro devices.

If my first attempt to measure the 3 drivers of the speaker seems good, I do have some difficulties to setup an accurate crossover in between MR and TW. When I look at drivers' measures (100% smooth or less), I can not see difficulties to design a strong 192dB or 300dB linear phase crossover (at specific XO frequency, target curve in between MR and TW is "quite" linear). But when I look at the calibration result, there is a heavy notch that I can not erradicate, even when adjusting XO frequency. I therefore suppose there is a phase issue, but phase graph do not give much information...

How can I analyse in deep the problem to get ridd of this notch? Any comment?
I will see how to post pictures to clarify my problem.

Thanks to all in advance.

Phil

--
Edit: this post should probably be moved to another section in the forum (Speaker)...

Hello Phil,

Did you get your issue resolved? If not, or you would like some pointers, please PM me.

Cheers,
LarryO

Philippe75

Oct 24, 2014
France
Hi Larry

Not exactly. I tried several XO frequency and slope with very limited benefits. I also tried various position of the TW in regards of the MR to adjust phase but with limited results again. I finally installed another TW and get ridd of all notches! I suppose there was a phase issue with the previous TW...
It is now OK.

Regards,
Philippe

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing