Good budget DAC?

tjwm338

Mar 16, 2014
Hi everyone,

Recently my DAC died on me. Have been using it for years and since its a budget one, figured I look for a replacement. In any case, I also felt that it wasn't bringing out the best in the system.

Am looking for a budget DAC (below 1000 quid). Anyone knows of any good one to recommend? Even any pre-owned can be considered.

My system as follows:
Source: Mac mini
DAC: ??
Amplifier: Jadis i35
Speakers: Genesis 7.2p

Thanks much in advance everyone!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Nice to see another Genesis 7 owner here and a compact system! Mine are the 7.1's that I use with a Marantz KI Pearl. I've heard good things about the M2Tech Young as well from some friends. I'm awaiting the arrival of the Geek Pulse DAC, which was crowdfunded on Indigogo by LHLabs. I am not sure what the timetable is on this unit for dealer distribution.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I funded the Geek Out USB dongle DAC on Kickstarter, and it's an amazing value for money at what I paid for it as an early kickstarter. Sounds great and can accept up to 384kHz and DSD.

However, it gets seriously hot and a bit heavy for just plugging into a USB port.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Hi everyone,

Recently my DAC died on me. Have been using it for years and since its a budget one, figured I look for a replacement. In any case, I also felt that it wasn't bringing out the best in the system.

Am looking for a budget DAC (below 1000 quid). Anyone knows of any good one to recommend? Even any pre-owned can be considered.

My system as follows:
Source: Mac mini
DAC: ??
Amplifier: Jadis i35
Speakers: Genesis 7.2p

Thanks much in advance everyone!

If I may, I can recommend four DACs i have spent quite a bit of time with.

I would strongly, without hesitation, recommend the iFi Micro iDSD ($499) with the iUSB power supply ($199).

Way, way more than $700 in sound...

Second, the new Marantz HD-DAC1. $799. Sound and build are excellent...fixed or variable outputs, remote
control, DSD, and headphone amp.

http://www.marantz.co.uk/uk/product...ifi&subcatid=usbdaconverters&productid=hddac1

Without hesitation, the Sonore exD DSD DAC, $1300. Fantasic, artisinal component.

Lastly, the Eastern Electric Mini Max Supreme. $1400. Tube or SS output, DSD, Phase switch.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing