Sigma Power Cords Released

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Nice; any measurements on the following: All SIGMA model's deliver maximum throughput of DTCD (Dynamic Transient Current Delivery), however, the HC model is made even more massively (6 gauge) and is ideal for use with the world’s most powerful amps and reference-grade power conditioners

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Yeah, not particularly well expressed. We'll rephrase it.

Yes, there will be DTCD graphs when we release the lab grade version of the DTCD Analyzer.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
OK; if you managed to keep the impulse current delivery specs close to the CX series while improving on noise suppression, that would be a cause for celebration...

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Caelin,

I have currently have 9 Anaconda Zitrons and Triton/Typhon. Also had a full loom of King Cobra CX's before the zitrons and a few of the earlier cords. On my 3rd Hydra over the years...all from Ne Plus Ultra in Austin.

So if I want to start with 1 or 2 Sigma's where's the best place to start? One to my Triton? Or two to my amps (i run them straight to the wall). I assume you'll say Sigma HC in both applications...I can't go with 3 to start...so best bang on the amps?

Thanks in advance

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Caelin,

I have currently have 9 Anaconda Zitrons and Triton/Typhon. Also had a full loom of King Cobra CX's before the zitrons and a few of the earlier cords. On my 3rd Hydra over the years...all from Ne Plus Ultra in Austin.

So if I want to start with 1 or 2 Sigma's where's the best place to start? One to my Triton? Or two to my amps (i run them straight to the wall). I assume you'll say Sigma HC in both applications...I can't go with 3 to start...so best bang on the amps?

Thanks in advance

The strategy of implementation of the ?TRON™ filtered power cords is different than our prior power cables. Since they target power supply specific noise it is most effective to put them on the specific components, as long as your power distributor has a good high current cable. The cables you currently have for the Hydras are excellent and there is no reason to change immediately. You will get the most bang for the buck by starting at the source, especially with the digital components.

So get the SIGMA DIGITAL for the DAC, transport and clock. Or, you can save some money by putting an ALPHA DIGITAL on the transport and clock. But you will definitely want the SIGMA on the DAC.

Next in importance would be to get a SIGMA ANALOG for the preamp.

Then a SIGMA HC for the amp.

An ALPHA DIGITAL on the TT motor is helpful.

wstam

Feb 17, 2013
Hi Caelin,

Thanks for the info. We have discussed about the upgrade strategy for the new Sigma PC on another forum. Your message has been consistent: start with the sources.

For the digital source, I have the TotalDAC combo: D1 Dual DAC and D1 Server. While waiting for the arrival of Sigma PC, I am using my existing cables on them: Alpha Analog on the DAC and Alpha Digital on the Server (a small computer and reclocker, playing files from NAS). Recently I loaned another Alpha Digital from local dealer for trying it on the DAC. It turns out that I didn't enjoy the sound much. It's like "too much air" on voices and instruments. Seems like leaner sound with more focus on the higher frequency. Out of curiosity, I took my Zitron Phyton PC from my phono amp and used it on the DAC. This turns out to be the best sound I have heard from my digital source, better than when I use the Alpha Analog. More balance and fuller sound.

From this trial, now I am a bit not so sure about which Sigma PC should I use on the DAC. Will Sigma Digital produces same effect as the Alpha Digital? Or will the Sigma Digital combines the best characteristic from both and produces even better effort on the DAC. Of course trying both out will be the best approach but I think it will be awhile before that can be arranged. My local dealer doesn't have the Sigma PC yet and will have to further wait for them to be run-in if they have stock for loan.

The other one is easy: Sigma Analog for the phono.

Thanks in advance if you can share some thought on this.

Cheers.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
The strategy of implementation of the ?TRON™ filtered power cords is different than our prior power cables. Since they target power supply specific noise it is most effective to put them on the specific components, as long as your power distributor has a good high current cable. The cables you currently have for the Hydras are excellent and there is no reason to change immediately. You will get the most bang for the buck by starting at the source, especially with the digital components.

So get the SIGMA DIGITAL for the DAC, transport and clock. Or, you can save some money by putting an ALPHA DIGITAL on the transport and clock. But you will definitely want the SIGMA on the DAC.

Next in importance would be to get a SIGMA ANALOG for the preamp.

Then a SIGMA HC for the amp.

An ALPHA DIGITAL on the TT motor is helpful.

Which cord if your preamp and dac are in one unit?

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Hi Caelin,

It turns out that I didn't enjoy the sound much. It's like "too much air" on voices and instruments. Seems like leaner sound with more focus on the higher frequency. Out of curiosity, I took my Zitron Phyton PC from my phono amp and used it on the DAC. This turns out to be the best sound I have heard from my digital source, better than when I use the Alpha Analog. More balance and fuller sound.

From this trial, now I am a bit not so sure about which Sigma PC should I use on the DAC. Will Sigma Digital produces same effect as the Alpha Digital? Or will the Sigma Digital combines the best characteristic from both and produces even better effort on the DAC.

The other one is easy: Sigma Analog for the phono.

Thanks in advance if you can share some thought on this.

Cheers.

You are probably running into system specific sound qualities. I would suggest you talk to Grant about your system. Revealing more resolution should not tip the system over.

European countries are required by law to limit power line noise emissions from their power supplies. The benefits of the noise reduction of the Alpha cable may be overshadowed by the superior conductors of the Python since the TotalDAC already has very low noise emissions.

The Sigma has VTX conductors, similar but larger in gauge than the Python and it has superior noise reduction qualities when compared to the Alpha cable. It is a significant upgrade when compared to either the Alpha or the Python cables.

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
The taxonomy of devices with DAC functionality is broadening... Pure DACs, preamplifiers, integrated amps... Power supplies may be linear /Toroidal or they might be SMPS. What Sigma or Alpha cord to apply is not always obvious.... What are Caelin's / Grant's recommendations in each case?

1. Pure DAC with SMPS (e.g. Rowland Aeris)?
This may be the only case where the answer is obvious... A digital Alpha/Sigma variant.

2. Pure DAC with linear/toroidal power supply (E.g. Esoteric D-02)?

3. General purpose Linestage/pre + DAC with SMPS (E.g. Rowland Capri S2?

4. General Purpose linestage/pre + DAC with linear/toroidal power supply (E.g. Burmester 077)?

5. Integrated amp + DAC with SMPS (E.g. Rowland Continuum S2, Devialet 250)?

6. Integrated amp + DAC with linear/toroidal power supply?

Cases 5 and 6 are particularly interesting, Power requirements outwardly point to HC, while the DAC circuit -- and SMPS in 5 -- might suggest the applicability of some digital Alpha/Sigma PC variant currently not in existance. Should the Alpha/Sigma series be perhaps augmented with Digital-HC versions?

Regards, G.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
The taxonomy of devices with DAC functionality is broadening... Pure DACs, preamplifiers, integrated amps... Power supplies may be linear /Toroidal or they might be SMPS. What Sigma or Alpha cord to apply is not always obvious.... What are Caelin's / Grant's recommendations in each case?

Cables are listed in order of preference irrespective of cost. Be aware that the Alpha and Sigma HC cables are significantly more expensive than the Analog or Digital versions. So, cost to performance must ultimately come into play.

1. Pure DAC with SMPS (e.g. Rowland Aeris)?
This may be the only case where the answer is obvious... A digital Alpha/Sigma variant.
Sigma Digital
Alpha Digital

2. Pure DAC with linear/toroidal power supply (E.g. Esoteric D-02)?
Sigma Digital
Alpha Digital

3. General purpose Linestage/pre + DAC with SMPS (E.g. Rowland Capri S2?
Sigma Digital
Alpha HC
Alpha Digital

4. General Purpose linestage/pre + DAC with linear/toroidal power supply (E.g. Burmester 077)?
Sigma Digital
Alpha HC
Alpha Digital

5. Integrated amp + DAC with SMPS (E.g. Rowland Continuum S2, Devialet 250)?
Sigma Digital
Alpha HC
Alpha Digital

6. Integrated amp + DAC with linear/toroidal power supply?
Sigma Digital
Alpha HC
Alpha Digital

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
Thank you Caelin, why Alpha HC as an option for integrated power amps with DAC capabilities, but not the Sigma HC?

G.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Thank you Caelin, why Alpha HC as an option for integrated power amps with DAC capabilities, but not the Sigma HC?

G.

Many integrated amps and preamps benefit from the extra gauge of the Alpha HC over the Alpha Digital/Analog. The Sigma is different in that the Digital/Analog versions already have sufficient gauge to be considered high-current cables in themselves. The Sigma HC is only necessary for extremely high-current components like a power conditioner or amplifier with a rating over 250 watts/ch.

Power cord performance cannot be defined solely by a single parameter or aspect. For instance, gauge alone does not determine overall performance level. It is a mixture of several parameters that can generally be grouped into two categories: DTCD (instantaneous current deliver) and CCI (component to component interference). Wire type, gauge and geometry generally determine DTCD while shielding, filtering and reactance affect CCI. There are also other more esoteric and less objective aspects that affect cable performance.

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
Thank you Caelin... Some integrated amplifier do fall outwardly into the high power classification... Rowland Continuum S2 for example, is rated at 400W/8 per channel and 800/4 per channel... Peak current is likely in the 40A region.... The Devialet is right at the threashold in stereo mode at 250W, but delivers 800W per channel in mono mode.

On the other hand, in some cases, power efficiency might offset high power rating... , amplifiers like the Continuum S2 operate in class D, with efficiencies often upwards of 90%...

What to do with such creatures?

G.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Thank you Caelin... Some integrated amplifier do fall outwardly into the high power classification... Rowland Continuum S2 for example, is rated at 400W/8 per channel and 800/4 per channel... Peak current is likely in the 40A region.... The Devialet is right at the threashold in stereo mode at 250W, but delivers 800W per channel in mono mode.

On the other hand, in some cases, power efficiency might offset high power rating... , amplifiers like the Continuum S2 operate in class D, with efficiencies often upwards of 90%...

What to do with such creatures?

G.

Make a best guess based on general rules. None of the cable versions will sound badly. But the correct cable may sound just right.

If it's truly high-current put an HC on it.

If it has digital circuitry in it (DAC, CPU, processor) put a Digital on it.

If it is a pure old school design preamp, put an Analog on it.

ErikM

Sep 24, 2014
Jersey
So for a Devialet 200 the recommendation would be an Alpha HC? How about a Talos? I was thinking Alpha HC there also?

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
So for a Devialet 200 the recommendation would be an Alpha HC? How about a Talos? I was thinking Alpha HC there also?

The Devialet is limited by its obstructed IEC power inlet clearance. The largest power cord that will fit with the rear plate attached is the Z-PC10 Digital. This is a derivation of the Alpha cable with a more compact IEC connector. The Alpha HC cannot be made with the small connector.

All Hydras should use a high current cable. This is a list of appropriate PCs in order of ascending price:
- Venom HC
- Alpha HC
- Sigma HC

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing