Hydra DPC-6 Review

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
You have to tip your hat to Caelin once again for attempting to further refine what is possible in power conditioning. There's no flies on this guy as he just doesn't seem to stand motionless for any given length of time! However, the problem I'm now having with the introduction of the DPC-6, is trying to figure out if there aren't too many choices and combinations such that I'm not quite sure what, for example, would now be considered optimum power conditioning in my system, which has already been largely "Shunytatized".

In an effort to get some clarity, I asked Caelin some questions privately, but his answer was quite informative so I am posting the entire conversation here:

Caelin,
I'm a bit confused. I see an ad for the Hydra DPC 6 which states that it acts by "electrically isolates (firewalls) these devices and prevents them from polluting the other audio components on the power line.". So if that is the case, does my Hydra Triton Typhon combo not do this, thus necessitating another distribution device such as the DPC-6?

Next, the new Sigma cable info says. "No power conditioner in the world can capture noise at the first stage of a component's electrical circuit and isolate that noise from other components". But wait a minute, isn't that exactly what your ad states the DPC-6 does?

With those 2 questions out of the way, if I am trying to tell the "players" apart, it seems to me like the DPC-6 is a conditioner/distributor not unlike your alpha 6, but it incorporates whatever new filter (in addition to the Zitron filter) that you are using on the Sigma cord, for the very purposes of similar isolation. Is that a fair statement?

Next, please comment on the appropriateness of the following equation: (For digital circuit isolation only. I realize the Triton has for example, NIC chambers and more outlets, etc)

Hydra DPC-6 + Anaconda or Alpha HC AC cable (to my Meitner XDS1) = Hydra Triton + Sigma PC cable (to my Meitner XDS1)

And finally, may we assume the next evolutionary distributor product will be a Triton plus whatever digital isolation circuits are inside the DPC-6 (SDCs and VF IV filters?)

Thanks
Marty

Caelin's reply was as follows:

Hydras are power distribution devices first and foremost. They are designed to deliver current to multiple devices without seriously degrading DTCD which is what we consider paramount to good power system performance in an audio system.

Consider the above statement the prime directive.

Then and only then if we can add a certain level of noise reduction and surge protection, we will do it but only if it doesn't compromise DTCD?

It is actually quite easy to design a power conditioner that blocks noise from the power line by using in-line coils, transformers and ferrite torroids. However these type of designs sound dreadful because they also seriously degrade DTCD.

The Hydra Triton is the ideal power distributor to use in a classic audio system. However in the recent years more and more hi-end audio has become centered around computers as the source for digital music reproduction. These computers come in various forms including dedicated music servers. These computers have peripheral devices such as disk arrays, display monitors, USB converters, WiFi routers and other digital processors. Virtually all of these use commodity (cheap) SMPS switched-mode power supplies. These power supplies are notorious for producing massive amounts of power line noise which when combined with the noise emissions of the digital circuits in the devices contribute to a level of power line noise pollution that did not exist prior to the widespread use of these devices.

In our testing we have found it necessary to segregate (firewall) these devices from the conventional audio components for BEST audio reproduction. The challenge was to create a device that can do this without significantly violating our first design imperative. If you watch the DPC-6 video on our website you will see just a fraction of the various coils and transformers that we experimented with over the years to find one that is acceptable. We finally developed a unique hand wound, single lay air coil that performs the function of high frequency noise isolation in both the differential mode and common mode function. This without seriously compromising sound quality. There is a balance between measurements and subjective sound quality. It was the development of this unique coil that allowed us to create a device like the DPC-6. Even so, the DPC-6 is not superior to a Triton for conventional audio components. It is ideal for high noise digital devices like media server, and computers and the their peripherals.

If you have a computer or media server based system, the DPC-6 will radically improve its performance as the reviewer at Audio Stream points out in his review. I thought he did an excellent job at explaining all of this, actually. Did you get the opportunity to read the article? If you just have a CD player or transport and DAC - you do not need a DPC-6.

Regarding our XiTron power cables. the Venom Digital, Alpha Series and now the Sigma Series cables have a modified XITron circuit that reduces power line noise emitted by the component's power supply. Electrical noise is MOST effectively reduced when it is handled nearest the source of the emission. This is why we say that "no power conditioner" can more effectively deal with it. The power cords are reducing the emission at the exit of the component's power supply IEC connector. This intercepts noise before it has the opportunity to radiate and propagate across a power distribution buss and onto the power line itself.

Remember that noise reduction is not an absolute. Rather it is an on going battle of relative proportions. Noise can never by completely eliminating as long as we have electrical device that by their very nature create it. This is why we are taking a different approach than other vendors. We have introduced a "Distributed Power Conditioning" concept where we fight noise pollution on three fronts. The first is at the source itself with the noise reduction power cords. The second is within our power distributors like the Triton and the DPC-6 where there is an intersection of multiple components electrically. And the third is at the wall outlet with the Venom Defender for isolated audio related devices like Sonos speakers where a multi-outlet (and expensive) power conditioner would be impractical.

Caelin

Last edited:

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I am seriously thinking about trying the DPC-6 soon. I guess I'll put the clock, transport, Apple TV and my TT motor controller (dsp based with a wall wart type of transformer). I'll likely get a upsampler and NAS drive soon...so they go to the DPC-6 also.

Is the DPC-6 best to the wall or into the Triton/Typhon I already have? I do have a extra dedicated circuit ... or is this one of those try it see what you like?

Anyone else have a DPC-6 yet? Thoughts?

Will definitely upgrade my Triton to v2 also...

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
I am seriously thinking about trying the DPC-6 soon. I guess I'll put the clock, transport, Apple TV and my TT motor controller (dsp based with a wall wart type of transformer). I'll likely get a upsampler and NAS drive soon...so they go to the DPC-6 also.

Is the DPC-6 best to the wall or into the Triton/Typhon I already have? I do have a extra dedicated circuit ... or is this one of those try it see what you like?

Our tests and those of first adopters indicated that the DPC-6 works best when plugged into one of the TRITON's outlets.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
What about a DPC-6 plugged into a UPS and then the server plugged into the DPC-6?
I like to keep the server plugged into the UPS foe safety reasons but it sounds better plugged directly into the wall..

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
What about a DPC-6 plugged into a UPS and then the server plugged into the DPC-6?
I like to keep the server plugged into the UPS foe safety reasons but it sounds better plugged directly into the wall..

The best method to protect a system from power surges is a "whole house" surge module. I understand the need to have power brown out and voltages lags protection with a UPS for computers. But as you have discovered UPS power conditioners sound bad when used for audio systems.

I personally don't use a UPS for my computer based music system. I do have whole house surge protection and the Hydra gives you "local" surge protection so I am sure that the hardware will not be harmed. I keep a full backup of the music server in case that the OS could become corrupted. Then all you need do is restore the system. I have never had the need to restore the OS and we live in an area where the power goes out almostly monthly in the winter months.

It is your choice based upon your priorities. If you value music quality above absolute protection for the computer then do it as I have. If you want UPS for the computer then ONLY use it to power the computer. And if possible run the UPS to power circuit other than the one used for the audio components.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Caelin

Thanks for the detailed response.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

Anyone else have a DPC-6 yet? Thoughts?

Will definitely upgrade my Triton to v2 also...

So I got to answer my own questions this weekend. I have DPC-6 now. And one Sigma HC. I first put in the Sigma HC to to Triton (replacing it's Anaconda Zitron). My dealer had "cooked" both the DPC-6 and Sigma HC in his system for about 7 days. I now have another 48 hours on the clock.

So the Sigma HC vs the Anaconda was clearly a upgrade, similar to when I went from the King Cobra CX's to the Anaconda Zitrons. I had zero complaints about the KC CX's. Loved that cable...but the Anaconda was faster, seemingly more clarity and more even frequency with deeper bass. The Sigma HC has continued this...more speed, more dynamics, more clear....not sure the evenness changed like it did from the KC CX to the Anaconda Zitron. The Sigma HC also brings a sense of higher volume. I'm listening one click lower on my preamp...but seems to hear it louder (and feel it to).

The DPC-6 (with my Triton's former Anaconda Zitron went in in two stages, 1st just powering my turnable motor controller and apple TV. That's it. And yes...my vinyl never sounded better...brought a clarity again...but a depth and wetness/density to the notes on vinyl replay. This motor controller is essentially a DSP chip/computer with a wall wart...so I suspect it was emitting all sorts of noise that the DPC-6 clamped down on. The video via the Apple TV was better...like a better HDMI cable...taking noise out of the picture which appears like more resolution and depth/more 3d'ness to the image.

Then the clock and transport went to the DPC-6. I've yet to try the DAC but will. Clarity again. Depth improved. But the big improvement is the ability to hear throughout the soundstage...stuff in the rear now clearly heard articulately. And just much more involving and interesting to listen to.

Pretty cool ... I'm impressed.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
The DAC usually sounds best plugged into the TRITON with a SIGMA Digital or ALPHA Digital. Plugging the DAC into the DPC-6 may soften transient speed slightly. For some DACs this may be a good thing. I think the Vivaldi will sound best into the TRITON given my experience with the Puccini and Paganini.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Can I plug my pairs of class D (SMPS) power amps into DPC as well ?

The HYDRA DPC-6 was designed specifically for computer and music servers which are nothing more than purpose built computers. Computers and their peripherals are all made with commodity SMPS (switched mode power supplies). They produce far more AC line noise than high-end audio components. Some may remember when CD players where introduced. We all learned quite quickly to turn the CD player off when playing our record players. In the same way that the CD player polluted the power line - these new generation music servers have an even larger negative impact.

A HYDRA will improve the performance of the high-end audio components in your system. The DPC-6 was not designed to improve the performance of the computer or its peripherals. Rather it is designed to isolate and firewall these devices, electrically, from each other and from the high-end audio components. This prevents the computer components from degrading the performance of the audio system components.

The DPC-6 was not designed for amplifiers even though some have SMPS power supplies. A SMPS power supply is inherently noisier than a linear supply - however, most high-end designers go to great lengths and expense to ensure that their power supply is relatively quiet. In other words these are not cheap commodity power supplies. Amplifiers sound best when plugged into a HYDRA or when plugged directly into the wall outlet.

pers1

Jun 11, 2015
What's the difference between the Shunyata Research Hydra DPC-6 and DPC-6V2?

PerS

Last edited:

johnh88

Aug 21, 2015
If my primary source is a music server (a Bryston BDP-2, which has a linear power supply, and I am using an Alpha Digital power cord) would the preferred unit to power it be a Typhon or a DPC-6? Also, if all ethernet connections to the audio system go through a fibre isolated network which is separately powered but I do have SMPS devices with HDMI/SPDIF connections to the audio system (Apple TV, cable box, etc) would the DPC-6 provide benefits?

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
If my primary source is a music server (a Bryston BDP-2, which has a linear power supply, and I am using an Alpha Digital power cord) would the preferred unit to power it be a Typhon or a DPC-6? Also, if all ethernet connections to the audio system go through a fibre isolated network which is separately powered but I do have SMPS devices with HDMI/SPDIF connections to the audio system (Apple TV, cable box, etc) would the DPC-6 provide benefits?

Hi John,

yes, the DPC-6 would be the ideal complement in terms of a reference level product for the applications you describe. The DPC-6 essentially firewall's whatever noise digital and computer based electronics put back onto the line and offers a dramatic, measurable reduction in high-frequency noise on the line. A less expensive version of this is also available in the Media Power Center 12, which has 6 completely isolated outlets and 6 Analog outlets.

The Typhon is a parallel device only. The Typhon has been used to good effect plugged into a Triton v2, or plugged into a wall duplex that is shared by an amplifier, projector or other high-noise or high-current component. Typhon is a complimentary component rather than a distributer, so I would favor the DPC-6 or Media Power Center 12 for the application you describe. If you would like more detailed assistance related to your system, feel free to contact us directly through the factory or customer service e-mail.

Thanks, John.

Grant
Shunyata Research

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing