Music that makes you dumb?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I think you have cause and effect flipped. The study suggest if you're dumb you listen to so and so, no listening to so and so makes you dumb.

My "range" is between Eminem (1000) and Beethoven (1350).

I just post what I find...I don't rewrite the copy. :p

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I just post what I find...I don't rewrite the copy. :p

Sure, but the title suggest "if your dumb you listen to Beyonce", not "listening to Beyonce makes you dumb".

Here it the title:

Smart people listen to Radiohead and dumb people listen to Beyoncé, according to study

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
THE ORIGINAL ARTICLE was never named. It was referenced by Alex Young who wrote the article, Smart people listen to Radiohead and dumb people listen to Beyoncé, according to study." You really can't make much of an inference from someone else's review of the original article.

asindc

Sep 27, 2012
I find it curious that both jazz and classical are towards the "dumb" end of the scale behind R&B and rock.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
It was a "study":rolleyes: culled from Facebook users....that should tell you a lot.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I find it curious that both jazz and classical are towards the "dumb" end of the scale behind R&B and rock.

It was a "study":rolleyes: culled from Facebook users....that should tell you a lot.

I was equally surprised to see that. I infer that smart people are generally not on facebook, which explains why jazz and classical were rated to low--only a few dumb people listen to it, the smarter people, because the data was compiled from facebook, were not included in the study.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I was equally surprised to see that. I infer that smart people are generally not on facebook, which explains why jazz and classical were rated to low--only a few dumb people listen to it, the smarter people, because the data was compiled from facebook, were not included in the study.

But how do we explain Beethoven's top ranking. How would you even know if someone "likes" Beethoven based on Facebook data?

Orb

Sep 8, 2010

Even funnier, jazz is in similar "band" to Beyonce, and yet smarter people listen Norah Jones :D
Nothing against Norah Jones, but as an artist she is not as technical as some of the great jazz musicians of the past.
Cheers
Orb

asindc

Sep 27, 2012
Even funnier, jazz is in similar "band" to Beyonce, and yet smarter people listen Norah Jones :D
Nothing against Norah Jones, but as an artist she is not as technical as some of the great jazz musicians of the past.
Cheers
Orb

I saw that as well. I wonder what the survey takers think of someone like Ornette Coleman or Eric Dolphy?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing