Sperling turntable

redsquare

Dec 9, 2013
I just called Audioarts and apparently the L3 pictured is coming in December with price tba. I ordered the L1 but I love the look of this table!

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
It's a killer TT. I would buy it over almost any TT save for my AF1. Hard to imagine a better table in the $30-$50k range

Hi Christian,

How are the different models of Sperling compared with AirForce2 and Kronos?
Thanks!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Hi Christian,

How are the different models of Sperling compared with AirForce2 and Kronos?
Thanks!

As I only have the Airforce One and Clearaudio Master Innovation, I cannot answer the question. For my purposes, the AF1 is the best turntable on the planet. I would not trade it for anything. So quiet, speed stable and dynamic. Without even hearing the Sperling, I probably would have chosen it over my clearaudio even if it didn't sound any better due to the cool looking factor.

redsquare

Dec 9, 2013
I've heard the Kronos and Air Force 1 but neither appealed to, with both coming across as just another table and nothing to write home about. In fact, I found the performance of each quite underwhelming. Just more hifi to my ears. My preference is for older tables like the Verdier, Lurne and Goldmund Reference. But the Sperling L1 is the first TT in years that lowered the noise floor to unprecedented levels. The way it retrieves micro details while preserving the musical message is beyond belief. And it does it in a very unspectacular/natural way. It's the only table in years to replace my Verdier and this says a great deal. I have not heard the L2 or L3 so I can't form an opinion. Sperling is also coming out with a new tonearm designed by legendary Robert Fuchs. Anxious to hear that as well.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I've heard the Kronos and Air Force 1 but neither appealed to, with both coming across as just another table and nothing to write home about. In fact, I found the performance of each quite underwhelming. Just more hifi to my ears. My preference is for older tables like the Verdier, Lurne and Goldmund Reference. But the Sperling L1 is the first TT in years that lowered the noise floor to unprecedented levels. The way it retrieves micro details while preserving the musical message is beyond belief. And it does it in a very unspectacular/natural way. It's the only table in years to replace my Verdier and this says a great deal. I have not heard the L2 or L3 so I can't form an opinion. Sperling is also coming out with a new tonearm designed by legendary Robert Fuchs. Anxious to hear that as well.

High praise indeed, however I doubt if Air Force one would ever sound hifi.

Is the Sperling a little soft sounding in comparison, like tubes vs SS compared to the AF1?

Trying to understand what you mean by hifi sounding

cheers

redsquare

Dec 9, 2013
The Sperling is far from soft! To the contrary it's very alive and fast sounding. The AF1 sounded very dynamic and quiet no doubt. I can see why some find it appealing. But I found it failing to convey musicality in the way that the Sperling does. And quite frankly, I don't think the Kronos can come close to either. The Sperling has depth and incisiveness that I've never heard before. It dissects orchestral elements with unreal precision while preserving the "gestalt"Very different than other current tables; a real analog gem.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
The Sperling is far from soft! To the contrary it's very alive and fast sounding. The AF1 sounded very dynamic and quiet no doubt. I can see why some find it appealing. But I found it failing to convey musicality in the way that the Sperling does. And quite frankly, I don't think the Kronos can come close to either. The Sperling has depth and incisiveness that I've never heard before. It dissects orchestral elements with unreal precision while preserving the "gestalt"Very different than other current tables; a real analog gem.

Unless you heard all these tables in the same system/room with the same arm, cartridge, and phonostage etc it's impossible to make that judgement.

andi

Apr 9, 2012
Germany

Here you see it in action

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
In this price range, I would not ignore the Kronos, it is simply the best sounding turntable I've had in my system. Period.

123 kronos.jpg

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I hope to purchase a Sperling, perhaps the L-2 perhaps use a Triplanar and XV1-S and directly compare it to my GPA Monaco which is the best TT I have owned.
Keith.

+1 on the Grand Prix Monaco - best I have owned also.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing