Dogs are much smarter than previously thought

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I love dogs as well. :) My current lifestyle and space however, precludes my having dogs. As with anything, I think that many animals are smarter than we give them credit for, unfortunately, we all have had at least one pet that was "dumb as a brick and twice as stubborn" LoL.

Last edited:

Garth

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Cat people, watch this and weep:

The smartest dog in the world
Anderson Cooper meets Chaser, a dog who can identify over a thousand toys, and the scientists who are studying the brain of man's best friend

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-smartest-dog-in-the-world/

The transcript is there also if you can't watch the video.

This is a audio site and my cats can hear a fridge door open at a thousand yards so cats top dogs IMO

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
The dog that is my avatar could open a patio door. Not so special, you say? Well, he would close it behind him, which is more than I can say for my kids when they were growing up! :D

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I hope you know I am just teasing you Carol. If Myles was here I would have picked on him. :D

On this topic, we have two Samoyed dogs, one is a male and the other female. They are exceptionally active dogs and reluctant to accept discipline. I do try though and they begrudgingly follow some of it. What amazes me is the male who has turned the table and is trying to train me! Knowing that I can't understanding his barking, he has developed his own body language to go with the barking to distinguish between wanting food, wanting to go out and now, wanting to go to bed! Her sister loves to wake up early. Usually at 4:30 to 5:00am :(. He loves to sleep but of course once I wake up he also gets up to go out. This morning i noticed an odd bark and body language from him. He was just fed so I knew he was not hungry. He was not ringing the bell we have at the door to say he is going out. But rather, telling me he wanted to go back to sleep! Took them to their crates where they nap (they sleep in our bedroom overnight) and he literally ran into the crate to get sleep!

I could not be more delighted of course, being able to eat my breakfast in peace. But impressed nevertheless in him figuring out how to communicate with us. I keep thinking of Planet of Apes when I see him do this. He developed his own special bark for dinner (barking while stepping back from me if I tried to approach him) and now asking for a nap. Wonder when he will try to teach me calculus lessons. :D

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Have you guys met Mishka yet?

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
I love dogs as well. :) My current lifestyle and space however, precludes my having dogs. As with anything, I think that many animals are smarter than we give them credit for, unfortunately, we all have had at least one pet that was "dumb and a brick and twice as stubborn" LoL.

Hah they have been my favourite pets :)
I remember friends had a type of terrier, it used to love tipping a box onto its head and running around...
And yes it would bounce into walls at speed the idiot :)
We currently have a cat that will see you go out the front door, and then go to the bedroom door and meow a lot of the night and wonder why they do not open it lol.
Although he is smart enough to know he needs to turn keys/door handles to open a door (front door or patio), now that is kinda annoying :)

Cheers
Orb

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I hope you know I am just teasing you Carol. If Myles was here I would have picked on him. :D

Of course. :)

Isn't there a test they do for checking if a puppy could be trained to be a service dog? I think they cover it with a blanket and see if they can figure their way out of it.

WDB

Feb 15, 2012
The dog that is my avatar could open a patio door. Not so special, you say? Well, he would close it behind him, which is more than I can say for my kids when they were growing up! :D

I have an Australian Shepherd I took in as a stray about 6 years ago, he was opening doors right away, smartest dog I ever had. I like to tell people that I am going to get him a chess set for when he is bored.
I also have a blind and deaf double merle female Aussie that I believe mapped out the house layout using her sense of smell, she runs into stuff sometimes but it is incredible how well she gets around.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I always felt my dogs had the intelligence of a 2-3 year old. They can also be jealous. At one point, I had three dogs, an Australian/German Shepard combo, a Golden Labrador, and a Siberan Husky. The husky would get upset if I was petting one of the other dogs, and she would push them away so I could only pet her. LOL. She also figured out how to open the sliding screen door to go out back. She puts her paw in the screen and rips it out.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I have an Australian Shepherd I took in as a stray about 6 years ago, he was opening doors right away, smartest dog I ever had. I like to tell people that I am going to get him a chess set for when he is bored.
I also have a blind and deaf double merle female Aussie that I believe mapped out the house layout using her sense of smell, she runs into stuff sometimes but it is incredible how well she gets around.

Isn't blindness and deafness common in Australian Shepherds

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing