Simple quality grill recommendations

Greg_R

Jan 25, 2012
I've got a great ceramic charcoal BBQ/grill but my wife wants something that she can use (or pre-heat so it's ready when I get home from work). The grill area can be small, we would only use this for quick grilling of evening meals. I've been looking at models from TEC and Webber (Genesis S series). Flavor is important so I'm hoping to get as close to the charcoal grill's flavor as possible. The BBQ will be outside open to the elements. Any recommendations? What are your thoughts on gas versus IR cooking?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I've had a simple Webber gas grill for about 15 years. I've replaced most of the guts a couple of times, but that's the beauty of it. You can order any and all parts online and rebuild the thing for a few bucks. the box itself? It has sat out in the elements, mostly uncovered. The last time I broke it down and pressure washed the thing it looked like new. Then I put it one new burner and a new set of flavor bars and it was like new.

Tim

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
Thumbs up for the Weber's, We had a Genesis line model for seven years of intensive use and it held up well, last year we upgraded to the top-of-the-line Summit model and use it at least once daily sometimes twice. My wife is the primary user and she loves it. Not a single issue with it so far.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I only use Charcoal now but the Weber is excellent. They last and last. Consumer reports gave Weber Spirit SP-320 its top score. SP-310 finished second. The Genesis did nearly as good but lost out on indirect cooking.

I bought a TEC IR for our boat years back. It is a very different animal than normal grills and I found it pretty hard to use for general applications. Mine is sitting gathering dust :).

Greg_R

Jan 25, 2012
So is Weber the best option for gas or should I be looking @ other brands? I'm definitely getting a grill with stainless grates... (no porcelain on steel).

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I got a commercial Charbroil grill this year that has the newer technology Tru-infrared cooking system. I love it. Very easy to clean.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Our new house had an outdoor kitchen with Viking propane grill. It needed a lot of work, and I considered getting a lot of new parts to refurb it. Then started dismantling and found burned wires, heat discoloration where heat should not have reached, etc. Viking 'might' make a good kitchen grill, but from what I've seen of their other appliances I would avoid Viking.

After a bunch of web searching settled on a new LION brand grill. It even had a thick stainless pan for brickettes when charcoal flavor is desired -- very nice. Cast stainless burners vs the tubular stainless of most brands, including the 2.5 times more expensive Viking. And tricked out with ceramic heat rods and a searing burner was half the cost of many high end grills.

Check out bbqguys.com for reviews of many grills.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing