Nice trip through Anechoic Chamber

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thanks for posting Amir! I unfortunately do not have any headphones at my disposal, so I couldn't listen as he suggested. I honestly didn't think he would last in that room for as long as he did, and then adding he could for hours more. Not me and I know it. Although the room is not really of claustrophobic proportion, I would definitely experience the anxiety related to it. I don't think these feelings would have anything to do with the absence of sound (movement, internal body sounds notwithstanding), but rather because of the material in the room. These wedges are of cloth material correct?

I say this after seeing pics of Steve's room and his surround curtains. When I looked at them I could feel myself becoming short of breath. If I were ever to visit Steve and have an opportunity to listen to his amazing system I would have to ask him not to close all of the curtains. Is that weird or what?

Steve - I love your room, I really do, so please don't take my comment the wrong way.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
The cones are built out of rigid foam.

When I visited Harman, we were part of a group inside a small chamber. I was taking pictures not realizing everyone had already left. I have to tell you that the room brings anxiety. The massive door makes you feel like you are locked in a bank vault that you can't get out of. As you, I don't think you can survive for that long. Maybe having the lights off helped him.

And no, there is nothing wrong with having no side absorption. With the right speaker it actually adds to the experience.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
See? Noise can be good! Personally, I didn't last more than 5 minutes in such a chamber, years ago.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing