Mac OSX Mavericks

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
We know the first Mac started to have problems after this particular update. Notice that bullet about SMB file transfers.

View attachment 17730

I do know that SMB file transfers no longer performed as they did in the past with Lion and Mavericks and I suppose Yosemite is the same. In the past I was able to update and Index my music in a McIntosh MS300 to be played by SonoS. SMB stopped working with I believe Lion. I had to keep a extra Snow Leopard machine just for this until I moved to Meridian Sooloos, then I sold the MS300 and SonoS.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Agree similar experience having to keep snow leopard machine for smb

Another possibility is the change in privacy provisions, where now hard drives are automatically encrypted, by default

If this were to occur without your knowledge and then used in another machine with different password, or without the authentication code it wont be able to be read, but it should flag this asking for code, not just be unreadbable......

Not sure if this could be the issue?

Sauerball

Member Sponsor
Jul 30, 2013
New York, NY
This won't help those with installation already gone awry, but I recommend cloning your existing boot drive to an external bootable drive before any major upgrade. If something goes amiss, you can boot from the clone and return to the prior installation.

I use Carbon Copy Cloner for this - great program. Also use it to do overnight backups of my FLAC and DSF files from the Mac Pro to my NAS.

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
Downloaded & began install of Yosemite on my new iMac. Installation progress bar is stuck at approx ? inch along and hasn't moved in over an hour. Thoughts? Advice?

Lee

Probably nothing to worry about. Mine was stuck at "one minute left" for almost one hour. You can press Command-L to show a window detailing the progress.

Sauerball

Member Sponsor
Jul 30, 2013
New York, NY
Downloaded & began install of Yosemite on my new iMac. Installation progress bar is stuck at approx ? inch along and hasn't moved in over an hour. Thoughts? Advice?

Lee

Also, if it's a new machine, you don't have much to lose!

If the installation doesn't work, try to boot from the recovery partition on the drive. Hold the "option" key down at startup until given the option of choosing the startup drive. Since Apple quit using physical media, this is how you reinstall the OS.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I have 3 machines running Yosemite now with zero problems.
Lot of new features that I like.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Thanks, all. A simple power-button restart resumed the installation and all is fine. After reading some comments that the process took a few hours for some users, I was reluctant to take premature action. Thank you all for your concerns.

Lee

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
My S.O. installed it and she said it took twice as long to download and install as Mavericks.

Aryoh

Sep 2, 2014
Hello Caelin,
To my luck i do not have problem with Maverick on my 2011 mac mini, but i noticed that version 10.9.5 have much worse "sound" than previous versions, so i stay with 10.9.4 on my music server. According to some statements Apple did some major revisions on USB and audio drivers, dont know exactly what, but i dont like how that affects SQ of my music server.
Excuse for bad English. :)

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
According to some statements Apple did some major revisions on USB and audio drivers, dont know exactly what, but i dont like how that affects SQ of my music server.

I've just installed Yosemite on my MacMini 2011 (Puremusic 1.89g as player). It is amazing, the sound is improved in terms of additional details. I use the Totaldac Reclocker as interface. The only explanation I can suppose is that the firmware developed by Vincent and the new improvements of USB driver revisions have reached an optimized synergy.

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
I've just installed Yosemite on my MacMini 2011 (Puremusic 1.89g as player). It is amazing, the sound is improved in terms of additional details. I use the Totaldac Reclocker as interface. The only explanation I can suppose is that the firmware developed by Vincent and the new improvements of USB driver revisions have reached an optimized synergy.

I am also finding Yosemite better sounding than Mavericks, even with less optimization. This is with HQPlayer.

rrr

May 17, 2010
It's puzzling that even though OSX 10.10 was available and had been installed by lots of people, the OP upgraded his computers to the previous OSX version, 10.9 instead of 10.10.

In any event, 10.10 seems to work OK and if you want to instal it on a several computers here is the easy way.
1. DL 10.10 from the Apple site but do not install it.
2. DL Diskmaker X from here: http://diskmakerx.com/ It's a free download.
3. Follow the instructions to make an installation USB Flash Drive.
4. Use the USB Flash Drive to do the multiple installations. Keep the Flash Drive for use if you ever need to reinstall.

This cuts the installation time down to, maybe, 20-30 minutes or so.

The instructions are very clear. The advantage to using this system is that you don't have to spend hours downloading the OS for every other computer and that you have an emergency flash drive on hand for other installations later.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing