Apple iOS 8.1 To Launch Today. Here's What Is Coming In The Update

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I'm still refusing any iOS 8 upgrades on my devices. Just seem like bigger and slower operating systems with few increases in real functionality. Very Windows-like, ironically.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I'm still refusing any iOS 8 upgrades on my devices. Just seem like bigger and slower operating systems with few increases in real functionality. Very Windows-like, ironically.

I respectfully disagree.

BTW have you all upgraded to OS X Yosemite

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia

I'm still on a 4s and I'm reluctant to update to iOS8.
In the past I've found that unless you have the latest (or second from latest) iPhone, the iOS upgrades tend to seriously degrade performance.

Has anyone with a 4s upgraded? Any thoughts to share?

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
...BTW have you all upgraded to OS X Yosemite
An improvement in most respects, IMO. I do think the Dock looks worse than it used to, though, and iTunes gets worse with each upgrade (the latest version of iTunes loaded with Yosemite for me).

Steve Williams

I'm still on a 4s and I'm reluctant to update to iOS8.
In the past I've found that unless you have the latest (or second from latest) iPhone, the iOS upgrades tend to seriously degrade performance.

Has anyone with a 4s upgraded? Any thoughts to share?

I have a thread posted here that warns against upgrading a 4s (which is what I had) to iOs8 due to severe degradation in performance as the new ios was designed for the upcoming larger screen size phones.

Steve Williams

An improvement in most respects, IMO. I do think the Dock looks worse than it used to, though, and iTunes gets worse with each upgrade (the latest version of iTunes loaded with Yosemite for me).

I agree about the dock however again it is being designed to conform to the appearance of the new icons for apps

Steve Williams

Steve Williams

what new iOS 8 feature is noteworthy or a must have?

This release includes new features, improvements and bug fixes, including:
Apple Pay support for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus (U.S. only)
Photos includes new features, improvements and fixes
Adds iCloud Photo Library as a beta service
Adds Camera Roll album in Photos app and My Photo Stream album when iCloud Photo Library is not enabled
Provides alerts when running low on space before capturing Time Lapse videos
Messages includes new features, improvements and fixes
Adds the ability for iPhone users to send and receive SMS and MMS text messages from their iPad and Mac
Resolves an issue where search would sometimes not display results
Fixes a bug that caused read messages to not be marked as read
Fixes issues with group messaging
Resolves issues with Wi-Fi performance that could occur when connected to some base stations
Fixes an issue that could prevent connections to Bluetooth hands-free devices
Fixes bugs that could cause screen rotation to stop working
Adds an option to select between 2G, 3G or LTE networks for cellular data
Fixes an issue in Safari where videos would sometimes not play
Adds AirDrop support for Passbook passes
Adds an option to enable Dictation in Settings for Keyboards, separate from Siri
Enables HealthKit apps to access data in the background
Accessibility improvements and fixes
Fixes an issue that prevented Guided Access from working properly
Fixes a bug where VoiceOver would not work with 3rd party keyboards
Improves stability and audio quality when using MFi Hearing Aids with iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
Fixes an issue with VoiceOver where tone dialing would get stuck on a tone until dialing another number
Improves reliability when using handwriting, Bluetooth keyboards and Braille displays with VoiceOver
Fixes an issue that was preventing the use of OS X Caching Server for iOS updates
Some features may not be available for all countries or all areas.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I updated to 8.1 and Yosemite. Like the look of Yosemite, have found 8/8.02 a bit buggy so I hope 8.1 addresses this.

Steve Williams

I updated to 8.1 and Yosemite. Like the look of Yosemite, have found 8/8.02 a bit buggy so I hope 8.1 addresses this.

I have had no problems with it

It has Apple Pay which I think will make life easy re carrying credt cards

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Apple Pay has a shot to be a major score for Apple. It's a little out of their comfort zone, we'll see if they can pull it off.

f1eng

Jul 24, 2014
Oxfordshire
I must say that both OSX and iOS updates, I refuse to call them upgrades since many have been downgrades in functionality for me, have largely consisted of screen-candy and minor changes of no consequence, but maybe it is just me.
It is some years since the changes were useful and intuitive. iOS is getting as bad as Android in some respects such as unwanted push notifications being default.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I have had no problems with it

It has Apple Pay which I think will make life easy re carrying credt cards

who doesn't carry around an ID though. and you still have to carry around an ATM card? is carrying a credit card a huge imposition? i think Apple Pay is interesting as a mobile PayPal, but can't see myself using that much at a store. will be fun to see - i also think there is going to be huge competition in this category and the payment platform needs to be agnostic (ie. both iOS and Android)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing