Step Up!

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Any thoughts on step up transformers? I'm thinking of adding one to my system.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
What exactly to they do? I think I know, but I'd love to hear about it in more layman terms.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I like the Ypsilons and my older Mitch Cotters. They give LOMCs more life and greater vividness.

Johnny... they step up or increase the output voltage of the cart. They should be considered for carts with less than .4mv outputs.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I like the Ypsilons and my older Mitch Cotters. They give LOMCs more life and greater vividness.

Johnny... they step up or increase the output voltage of the cart. They should be considered for carts with less than .4mv outputs.

Thanks Peter! What effect does that increase in output have on the listening experience?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I owned a EAR MC4, wish I'd never sold it. UltraAudio has a review on it

I"ve always been curious on the Ypsilon and the Intactaudio suts....

Joe Galbraith

Senior Member/Sponsor
Apr 22, 2010
www.arsetmusica.com

Allnic AUT2000 Excellent performer, great fit and finish. It has front panel adjustments to fine tune for your cart

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
I'm currently using an Ear Mc4 with a Kleos Sl .25mv into a Lamm Lp2. Much better with the SUT, but there is the cable factor.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I'm currently using an Ear Mc4 with a Kleos Sl .25mv into a Lamm Lp2. Much better with the SUT, but there is the cable factor.

Not sure I understand the comment. The Lamm LP2 has an internal Jensen SUT. All you are stating is you prefer the EAR SUT over the Jensen.

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
Yes, The music has much more punch and drive. Deeper bass and a larger sound stage as well.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Standard Lamm step up ratio is 1:9 on the LP2.x this may not be enough for some cartridges. .3mv is borderline for me. You can order an LP2.1 with the higher step up ratio from your dealer at no extra charge. If you don't say so at the start, you'll get the 1:9. :)

I sometimes use a Koetsu SUT for my Koetsu and a MY Sonic SUT for my Matsudaira designed carts.

My custom Valvet Soulphono has 2 x 1:10 and 1 x 1:20 SUT pairs. These are silver wired torroidials made in Germany and I believe also found in Tron's phono pre among others.

Yes I am a SUT kinda guy :D

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Last edited:

jn229

Jul 23, 2012
Southwestern Ontario

If you have not tried a SUT and would like to experiment: the Bryston TF-1 sells used for $150 to $300, holds its value, and is built like a tank ( ships well). Truly not the last word in SUTs but good enough to introduce one to SUTs, educate a decision, all with a small investment.

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Has anyone tried to load their SUT? The Ypsilon lets you do this easily.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland

Joe Galbraith

Senior Member/Sponsor
Apr 22, 2010
www.arsetmusica.com
Has anyone tried to load their SUT? The Ypsilon lets you do this easily.

My phono stage allows for adjustments of both load and gain via top mounted rotary switches. This is a blessing and a curse. Once you get your cart dialed in, you need to learn to fight the tweaking urge to try and get that last little bit of performance.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing