Amir's Rant #2: Google Chrome : what is so hard about a spell checker???

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
This is a series of rants Amir has for tech companies who should know better than to hand us such poor implementations of technology.

There was a time when one of the key reasons to upgrade to Chrome was built-in spell checker. IE did not have one even though Microsoft obviously had such technology in Office. OK to have spelling errors in your Internet musings? Maybe but why? Why won't we let computers do what they do best: second guess what we are doing with them!

The honeymoon was over soon with the spell checker as it was the dumbest implementation I had seen. How could a spell checker from a software company not know technology terms? Type the word psychoacoustics and it says there is a spelling error. The fix it offers is to add a hyphen to it. No Sherlock. That is one word. Here is the Wiki for you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychoacoustics

Psychoacoustics is the scientific study of sound perception.

You know less than the Wiki. Live with that. But don't force me to live with it.

What is that you say? You can use your universe of web pages you have stored on your computers and a service in sky that does better? Fine but why do you think I would think I would find it buried in Right-click, "Ask Google for Suggestion" after which this pops up?

Chrome Spell Check.PNG

What is wrong with that option showing up right on top of the list of the suggested corrections? Or when you don't even have suggestions?

Maybe you do that because this option doesn't always work? Like when I was typing my last Rant about Android? You are trying to embarrass me because I don't love you blindly? Is that what it is? I have to praise you unconditionally or else, this what you resort to?

Why not resort to the standard spell checker if you can't look up a word from your service? It is better than nothing. Seems like you can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

So get your act together. If computers can't help us spell, they are not qualified to do much else. Get with the program. Spell checkers have been around for four+ decades. We have waited enough to have one that works, and works all the time.

Grumpy, grumpy, Grumpy,
Amir

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing