Amir's Rant #1 Android: Don't be so Rude!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
This is a series of rants Amir has for tech companies who should know better than to hand us such poor implementations of technology.

The heck is wrong with you Google? Yeh, I get that you want to update the Youtube app on my tablet. But you think it is OK to stop Youtube, kill the app, and then update it without telling me a thing? You know I was in the middle of watching a long clip. That is why you had to kill the app, right? That is no excuse whatsoever to stop what I was watching and rudely update the app. I was in no need of your services. Really wasn't. Hurtful thing to say but I have to be honest.

Ask me if I want the bloody update. Or at least when you barge into my house and replace my TV, set it back to the channel I was watching! Don't have me start the app, find my clip again and seek to where I left off.

And what features did you add to or bugs you fixed? You don't tell me. You just assume I need to have that update as bad as you want. I love you for giving us an alternative to Apple but stunts like this make me not like you as much.

Yeh, I get that our computer architectures are broken to the bone. That the operating system, no matter whose flavor you buy, "locks" the image of the app in the tablet storage (file system) as it is running. Translation: the file representing the app cannot be removed, changed or otherwise modified. So updating it requires terminating the app. As I said, I get it. But one sin doesn't justify another.

Software is "hard" but it is not that hard. Pop up a message and say, "There is an update for Youtube that gives you these benefits. Would you like to update it?" Just because I said you can auto-update the app, doesn't mean you replace it while I am using the darn thing. If I am buying a new car, the car dealership doesn't come and grab my car in the middle of drive to work.

If you are going to do this, modify the app to store its current clip name and playback point so that if I say yes, you do the update and replay from that exact position. You own the app. You own the service. Stuff like this should just work right. And takes less time to do than writing this post.

There needs to be a book about good programming etiquette since common sense has exited the room.

Grumpy, grumpy, Grumpy,
Amir

Tam Lin

Mar 20, 2011
North Texas
It's not just Google. Vista took it upon itself to add dither to every audio sample it touched. Vista never asked if I wanted noise added to my music. Now, that's rude.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing