Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Trooling?

Don't we all do this? :)

I am frankly curious, as a non medical expert I would want my government to have a medical expert on top of this.

trolling.jpg

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
The whole thing is political theater anyway, so might as well appoint a politician to keep the show going until election day. Someone is not contagious until they show symptoms of Ebola, but the public is going hysterical over an entirely fictitious doomsday scenario of infected people on airplanes and cruise ships unknown to be infected spreading the virus, something like spreading AIDS with a handshake. The only people that got infected in the US were health care workers, due to criminal negligence of the hospital and CDC incompetence. This disease is easily containable in modern society, and this panic will go down as one of the biggest jokes in modern history. In Europe, which is just as "at risk" as the USA, this is not even making headline news. Senegal and Nigeria had a few cases and contained them - may be we should fly the Czar to Africa for training. Now, a place like India should obviously be very worried...

asindc

Sep 27, 2012
The whole thing is political theater anyway, so might as well appoint a politician to keep the show going until election day. Someone is not contagious until they show symptoms of Ebola, but the public is going hysterical over an entirely fictitious doomsday scenario of infected people on airplanes and cruise ships unknown to be infected spreading the virus, something like spreading AIDS with a handshake. The only people that got infected in the US were health care workers, due to criminal negligence of the hospital and CDC incompetence. This disease is easily containable in modern society, and this panic will go down as one of the biggest jokes in modern history. In Europe, which is just as "at risk" as the USA, this is not even making headline news. Senegal and Nigeria had a few cases and contained them - may be we should fly the Czar to Africa for training. Now, a place like India should obviously be very worried...

This. Media hysteria at its worst.

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Why on God's green earth don't we have a surgeon general?

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I think the answer to that is very clear. As for the original post, you don't need a doctor to be in charge and direct things. Given the performance of the CDC and the Dallas hospital, I think the fact that a doctor was not appointed as the czar is probably a good thing.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Because the highly qualified candidate nominated a year ago had the audacity to make a connection between public health and gun violence and was hence shot down (pun intended) by the NRA sock puppets (aka as republicans). Keep in mind we're not interested in solving problems here, we're trying to win elections and score political points.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Obama's Ebola czar is a government insider with no medical background

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/nation_world/Ebola Czar

You don't need to be an MD to answer this query....Remember, this guy was the guy in charge of the failed stimulus program back in 2008. He was instrumental in robbing taxpayers of $500,000,000 to fund Solyndra. The executives and stakeholders made out like banshees...the taxpayers got screwed when it went belly up.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Peter, you sure know how to pick the topics that go off-topic fast :D

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Personally I'm not quick to blame the hospital or the CDC just yet. As the first case of Ebola in the US and the fact that the guy just walked into an ER it's a pretty difficult scenario. I very much doubt that any harm came to the patient as there really is no treatment. Health care providers acquire this in Africa and there was a case in Spain as well. The US is learning as we go. There appears to be very specialized training that nurses and doctors need to have to take care of these patients.

In Phila. Penn and CHOP have been designated as centers for these cases, if they present. God Bless America!

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

are you expecting me to find a liberal rag credible ? Come on now. If the stimulus was so great, how come he's not out campaigning for senate democrats this election cycle ? Oh yeah, he has his foreign policy failures, ebola and Obamacare to deal with too. The worst President in modern history ? Quite possibly. The senate rats are all running away from Obama. After election day, he will be effectively neutered politically and with that, I'm out of this thread. Cheers !

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Personally I'm not quick to blame the hospital or the CDC just yet. As the first case of Ebola in the US and the fact that the guy just walked into an ER it's a pretty difficult scenario. I very much doubt that any harm came to the patient as there really is no treatment. Health care providers acquire this in Africa and there was a case in Spain as well. The US is learning as we go. There appears to be very specialized training that nurses and doctors need to have to take care of these patients.

In Phila. Penn and CHOP have been designated as centers for these cases, if they present. God Bless America!

I beg to differ. Learning as you go on Ebola specifics is acceptable, because there is no prior experience. Learning as you go when a someone walks into ER and is diagnosed with a highly contagious deadly disease is unacceptable. This situation should have triggered a disaster response plan, much like there are fire evacuation and school lock-down plans. There should have been a protocol in place to immediately isolate the guy and fly him to a specialized facility. To have a local hospital figure this out on the fly is completely unacceptable.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Sadly this is becoming more of a political issue than medical. From What I gather with data available up to now is that Ebola is caught one of two main ways. Healthcare workers and immediate family caring for one infected. Data has never pointed to casual contact as an ingredient ever since its been around. Heck I believe around 52,000 died from the flu last year. If that's correct there is a better chance of dying from that even with drugs that can control it. It's a political fear-mongers gold mine. Especially when logic is not used or lemmings are tuning in.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
are you expecting me to find a liberal rag credible ? Come on now. If the stimulus was so great, how come he's not out campaigning for senate democrats this election cycle ? Oh yeah, he has his foreign policy failures, ebola and Obamacare to deal with too. The worst President in modern history ? Quite possibly. The senate rats are all running away from Obama. After election day, he will be effectively neutered politically and with that, I'm out of this thread. Cheers !

This is why it is foolish to post articles like this on this site it brings out this kind of utter nonsense.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Now, back on point, the reason ebola is now an issue has nothing to do with politics. Quite simply, a hospital in Texas was woefully unprepared for this patient. The CDC protocols were inadequate to begin with and weren't even followed. The CDC should have had in place the doctors without borders protocols which are much better than what the CDC had in place. Even if they did, there is no guarantee that this particular hospital would have followed them. This one patient should have been a wakeup call. I hope he was. For those running around scared, please note that not one member of the first patient's family has become infected. Unless you are in direct contact with saliva, tears, urine, blood, feces or any other bodily fluid of an infected patient, you should be just fine. Every person involved with his treatment should have been quaranteened and not permitted to travel. Simple prudent steps would have prevented this needless panic.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Choose other passenger: #1 with AK47 OR #2 with Ebola virus. So were spending $100s of Billions of $$$ on Homeland Security [what a joke], but the corrupt system will not put a proper clamp on Ebola. The Elitists that control the world will use Ebola for their outcome. Look at Wall Street this week: blaming part of the market sell-off on the Ebola problem. In the future Ebola will allow the Elitists to take away even more of our freedom. [I will not go on with 1000s of words - you get it or you do not]. zz.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I am sure the Aliens and all their hybrids are somehow behind this too! An Ebola outbreak was stopped in its tracks in Nigeria. It will be here too.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA

[START RANT]
When the smoke has cleared, Obama will be remembered as the president that inherited the biggest mess in modern history,presided over the biggest recovery of corporate profitability and the stockmarket, the biggest breakthrough in "equal rights" since the civil rights movement, that finally managed to get the USA join the civilized world by providing universal healthcare, that exposed social conservatives the bigots that they are

The huge irony is that the biggest complainers about Obama are the ones that profited most from the recovery on his watch through a doubling of their portfolio, while his natural constituency of wage earners scraping by got royally shafted (through no fault of Obama). What more do they want you could ask? I guess greed has no boundaries. Listen, I am NO Obama fan at all, but the narrative his political opponents are trying to spin is flat out disgusting.
[END RANT]

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing