Gone Girl

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Without doubt there has beena paucity of good films this year. In fact I have said that for me the only 2 films that I have really enjoyed this year have been Chef and Roger Ebert-Life itself

As is always the case the best films are saved for the last 3 months of every year so they are fresh in the minds of those voting for Academy Awards. Finally some good films come along to catch our attention.

I saw this film yesterday with my wife. I was concerned about whether I could sit for 2 1/2 hours being but 2 weeks post knee replacement. We gave it a chance and boy was I happy.

This film is a classic thriller with so many twists at the end that it will leave everyone gasping. Suffice it to say I loved the film and was glued to the screen the entire time. Ben Affleck is very good in his role however Rosamund Pike who plays his wife is spectacular

And once again another film where Doogie Howser finds a way in. Neil Patrick Harris likewise plays a very good part

The plot is simple....

With his wife's disappearance having become the focus of an intense media circus, a man sees the spotlight turned on him when it's suspected that he may not be innocent.

Not a short film either at almost 2 1/2 hours however the extra length undoubtedly was to add all of the unexpected twists. This film could have easily ended 20 minutes earlier but all in all I loved the film. Not sure where it will stand for Academy Award consideration but for me there are now three excellent films I've seen so far

This film is definitely thumbs up and not to be missed

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
We saw the movie last weekend.

I didn't sleep a wink during the film! Gail has learned not to wake me when I fall asleep at the movies. The movie was riveting and kept you on edge the entire time. I didn't look at my watch during the film either which is unusual for me, but the denouement in the last 10 minutes or so was disappointing.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
We saw the movie last weekend.

I didn't sleep a wink during the film! Gail has learned not to wake me when I fall asleep at the movies. The movie was riveting and kept you on edge the entire time. I didn't look at my watch during the film either which is unusual for me, but the denouement in the last 10 minutes or so was disappointing.

I understand about the denouement. In fact I said the exact thing to my wife walking out that it could have ended sooner but if so all the twists would never have been revealed

One hell of a good movie

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
our (27 yr old & single) daughter read the book and insisted that we watch it with her, so we did. She said the book was so good she was getting stressed out reading it and finished it in three days. She really liked the movie and as we were walking out of the movie theater she joked "this is why I am never going to get married".

We enjoyed the movie as well, and unlike The Expendables 3, I did not fall asleep. Ben Affleck is on a roll, Argo and now Gone girl. I hope he does well as Batman.

BobM

Feb 5, 2014
Long Island, NY
Saw it last night with my wife. I especially liked the spooky atmospheric music as they rolled the credits at the end. It fit perfectly with the visual ending and the final impresison they left you with.

The casting was very well done too, except I really think Neal Patrick Harris's role could have been played better by someone else. He's supposed to be a serious guy in the role and I kept waiting for a punchline (he is a bit typecast right now).

Great movie indeed.

MiTT

Jun 28, 2010
Thornton, Colorado
Saw it last night with my wife. I especially liked the spooky atmospheric music as they rolled the credits at the end. It fit perfectly with the visual ending and the final impresison they left you with.

The casting was very well done too, except I really think Neal Patrick Harris's role could have been played better by Psomeone else. He's supposed to be a serious guy in the role and I kept waiting for a punchline (he is a bit typecast right now).

Great movie indeed.

My wife and I saw it on Saturday and both of us really enjoyed it. She had read the book and felt they stayed pretty close in general tone and feel, although there were some things in the book between Tyler Perry and Sela Wards characters (they were married in the book I think she said). The "spooky music" was provided by Trent Reznor.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing