This Could Very Well Be My Next Car

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Steve Williams

Christian, I was just reading specs on your new 2015 Porsche 911 GT3 (991) which is a true ball buster. Here are the specs on your car.......

year:
make:
Porsche
Model:
0-60 time:
3.5 sec. (Est.)
Top Speed:
196 mph (Est.)

I cannot fathom that the day may have come when electric is faster than gas driven if this new Tesla is 0-60 in 3.2 (and you can do the course in autopilot mode)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
With an electric motor, instant torque is available at any RPM. The entire rotational force of the motor is available the instant the accelerator is pressed. Peak torque stays constant to nearly 6000 RPM, only then does it start to slowly roll-off.
Copied from the tesla site

A combustion engine only reaches max torque at thousands of rpm s , horse power tells you rougly how fast it goes , torque how fast you get there:D

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
and the Tesla with it's premium packages is only about $145k -- a bargain!

Steve Williams

A combustion engine only reaches max torque at thousands of rpm s , horse power tells you rougly how fast it goes , torque how fast you get there

so in this instance the Tesla would win. Tough for my brain to wrap around that

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I wonder if there is a way to make it drive itself and go 10-15 mph faster than the speed limit signs it reads??? :p

Steve Williams

I wonder if there is a way to make it drive itself and go 10-15 mph faster than the speed limit signs it reads??? :p

Too funny

and if they catch you for speeding, the ticket is transmitted instantly to your dashboard panel where the payment can be made instantly electronically

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
We've come to the point with launch controls, AWD, etc that 0-60 is becoming a meaningless and perhaps dangerous stat. I remember a Porsche service supervisor telling me a decade ago that a Turbo was difficult for him to drive- much less a layman driver. That car did 4.2 secs- same as a new Tesla P85. The new Vette Z06 is in the 2s!

The problem with the Tesla is weight (almost 5,000 lbs)- which effects handling. It's not unlike a muscle car in some ways. That said, I've been thinking about a Tesla for my next ride- but not as a sporty ride, just a luxury one. As such, I would get a lower model.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
actually 3.2 secs Keith

I would have to imagine sticker on this will be easily $150-185K

This is getting crazy guys...that's almost as much as the Wilson XLF!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I've had my plain old Model S85 for about 20 months. Still a lot of fun to drive. The main thing is that even with 5.6 sec 0 to 60, it is the instantaneous torque that makes the difference. My Lexus 460L has the exact same 0-60 time spec, but nowhere near the feel. There are essentially no times when I can go 0 to 60 all out - too much traffic and stop signs. But the acceleration you can do on the freeway or just leaving a stop sign.

Mine was $90K fully loaded, including tax and the $10K rebate ($7.5K fed, $2.5K California). Other states don't charge state tax or other incentives. Also in CA you can drive in the carpool lanes - important for Steve down in LA. You can get one, or a couple of pairs of high end interconnects. :)

We went down to LA to visit our new grandson - all the fuel was free at Superchargers - going and coming, and even got a couple of fill ups at the Supercharger near LAX (where Space X is located).

Service is quite remarkable - they will pick up and deliver your car from your home, leaving you a free rental. I've even had a tech come to my home to do a small adjustment, saving me any hassle at all. No upselling on service also, which I always am getting when I have my Lexus serviced at the dealer.

Larry

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I think it is only a matter of time. Once battery technology matures (becomes cost competitive) the bells will really start tolling.

For now, I will try and enjoy the rumble and exhaust note music while I can.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
actually 3.2 secs Keith

I would have to imagine sticker on this will be easily $150-185K

It was $150,170 including destination fees with all the options when I looked it up. About 5k more than I originally posted, but still a relative bargain. You'll have cash left over for other toys!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
N
Christian, I was just reading specs on your new 2015 Porsche 911 GT3 (991) which is a true ball buster. Here are the specs on your car.......

year:
make:
Porsche
Model:
0-60 time:
3.5 sec. (Est.)
Top Speed:
196 mph (Est.)

I cannot fathom that the day may have come when electric is faster than gas driven if this new Tesla is 0-60 in 3.2 (and you can do the course in autopilot mode)

My issue with these battery and or hydrid sports cars is their battery technology. In 10 years, there will be batteries with far greater capacity and they will be much lighter. Even the Porsche 918 Spyder super hybrid will be outdated electric tech. They won't hold their value very well in the long run...my guess. I'm not a fan of all electric cuz I like the roar of a naturally aspirated hi revving engine. Music to my ears, so to speak.
All of the euro sports cars are under pressure for better emissions. I see one day where you can't buy a hi compression, naturally aspirated sports car from Porsche, Ferrari, MB, Lambo...ect. Feels like a loss of freedom to me. The cars are so few in number, their emissions are really a non factor in the grand scheme of things.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Replace all those long haul diesel trucks and buses! Not sexy but talk about a big market.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing