Ortofon Anna
Transfiguration Proteus

I have the following equipment:

PBN Groovemaster with SME 312S tonearm, and a BatVKP10se
VPI SDS motor controller
Pass Labs XA 160.5
Marten Getz Speakers
Audio Research Ref 3 Pre-amp

I currently have ZYX diamond gold cartridge that I sent in to be repaired because my 3 year old grandson modified it lol. When it came back it had lost the magic, and I can't afford to replace it. It was a very special cartridge and now I thought I would try a different direction. My budget is $8000.00 and all advice is needed and appreciated. Also, I listen to all types of music.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
From the list I would go with the Atlas. I always found my VK P10 SE Super Pack to be best in low gain internal switch setting. That's why I would go with a higher output MC.

number95

May 14, 2014
Check the Proteus thread. Seems Mike Fremer loved that one comparing it to 10k+ cartridges.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I'd got for the Atlas also. It's a great match with your phono stage (I used to own a P10SE) and tone arm.

Also do you have the P10SE or the P10SE superpak? The superpak really improves how your phono stage presents things in space and just allows the music more ease and flow. It's a nice upgrade also. What arm cable are you using off your SME? And is it a din to xlr?

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
I own both the Atlas and the Proteus. Both are great carts but if I had to choose one, hands down it would be the Atlas

needfreestuff

Sep 27, 2014
Canyon Lake, CA
I'd got for the Atlas also. It's a great match with your phono stage (I used to own a P10SE) and tone arm.

Also do you have the P10SE or the P10SE superpak? The superpak really improves how your phono stage presents things in space and just allows the music more ease and flow. It's a nice upgrade also. What arm cable are you using off your SME? And is it a din to xlr?

jfrech Have the P10SE with superpak am using Crystal Clear Audio Opus Series cabling and everything is done in a true balanced configuration. It was all anyone could ask for before my grandson alter the cartridge. What kind of load did you put your Atlas at? Want to thank you and everyone else who replied so far it seems the Atlas will be on my radar.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
needfreestuff, you may want to do a google search for Albert Porter. He used to have the SME 312S arm before he switched to the SME V-12. He has an Atlas, and an AirTight Supreme and I think he is about to try a Lyra Etna. He has two identical arms and has tried many fine arm/cartridge comparisons. He has a breadth of experience with your tonearm and some great cartridges. Just email him and I'm sure he will tell you what he thinks of your choices.

I don't have any experience with the cartridges you have listed.

Loop4fun

Member Sponsor
Feb 19, 2012
Well, I went with the Etna. OMG is it a great cartridge!

Thank you Jonathan!

IMG_3098.jpg

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
If you must spend $8,000 I would go for the Atlas. If you want to save $4,000 I would go for the Triangle Art Zeus... it's very sophisticated and throws a huge soundstage. I just bought one. I can't keep records off the table with this cart.

jcarr

Mar 24, 2012
Tokyo
www.lyraaudio.com

Many audiophiles automatically assume that the Atlas is superior to the Etna because it costs more, but to my ears the two cartridges have different strengths and personalities, and overall run neck-and-neck.

The Atlas sounds bigger and more dynamic than the Etna, and has greater power in the bass region, but the Etna counters with superior midband resolution, more beautiful timbres, and remains extremely dynamic, making it one of my personal favorites.

The cartridge that the Etna most reminds me of is the exquisite-sounding Olympos, but the Etna has better resolution and dynamics (and its higher output makes life considerably easier for the phono stage).

The Etna is less expensive than the Atlas because it costs us less to make it, and for no other reason.

IMHO, Bill made the right choice with the Etna.

kind regards, jonathan

Reactions: hogen

Loop4fun

Member Sponsor
Feb 19, 2012
If you must spend $8,000 I would go for the Atlas. If you want to save $4,000 I would go for the Triangle Art Zeus...

Peter, I'm my case, this logic might keep me guessing forever... My dealer installed an Etna last winter on an LP12 which was very impressive. In the 7 months it took to arrive, I also decided to get the AMG. I feel very lucky to have both. They make a "jaw dropping" combo. Maybe one day I'll get a chance to hear both the Atlas and Zeus. In any event, it will make for a great 2015!

BTW, I really enjoy AVShowrooms.

needfreestuff

Sep 27, 2014
Canyon Lake, CA
If you must spend $8,000 I would go for the Atlas. If you want to save $4,000 I would go for the Triangle Art Zeus... it's very sophisticated and throws a huge soundstage. I just bought one. I can't keep records off the table with this cart.

Peter I did audition the Zeus and his new stone body cartridge at KT Audio, forgot the name it has a list price of $8000, and after careful consideration went with the Etna. The Etna is the finest cartridge I have ever heard and it is exactly what I was looking for. Want to thank all the people who responded to this thread. Happy Holidays

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

Thank you Jonathan!

We'd love to see a pic of your whole system ! As a long time Lyra fan, and current Atlas owner, I am envious on your Etna ! All the best and congrats on the TT and Cart upgrades!

Loop4fun

Member Sponsor
Feb 19, 2012
System

We'd love to see a pic of your whole system ! As a long time Lyra fan, and current Atlas owner, I am envious on your Etna ! All the best and congrats on the TT and Cart upgrades!

Sorry it is so dark. It's a gloomy day in N Texas. Thanks!

FullSizeRendercopy.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing