Tube Research Labs TRL GTPR-Platinum Line Stage Preamp users?

aertex

Oct 9, 2014
A friend of mine has this huge 2 chassis linestage pre for sale and I seek input regarding its performance and reliability from previous or current users. There are a few of these pre's around but not many. They are not a current model and were expensive...as well as 100kg! All info from users would be useful in helping me work out is this pre is worth considering
Alan

joecasey

Oct 5, 2014
A friend of mine has this huge 2 chassis linestage pre for sale and I seek input regarding its performance and reliability from previous or current users. There are a few of these pre's around but not many. They are not a current model and were expensive...as well as 100kg! All info from users would be useful in helping me work out is this pre is worth considering
Alan
If it belongs to a friend, just demo it in your system before purchase?

aertex

Oct 9, 2014
Yes a demo would be great but I didnt mention he is 3500km away on the other side of the country and has sold the rest of his sytem so unable to even demo it in his home. There would be some sort of demo option, but cetainly not a convenient situation. Thats why I seek input form other owners at this stage. Thanks joecasey

joecasey

Oct 5, 2014
Yes a demo would be great but I didnt mention he is 3500km away on the other side of the country and has sold the rest of his sytem so unable to even demo it in his home. There would be some sort of demo option, but cetainly not a convenient situation. Thats why I seek input form other owners at this stage. Thanks joecasey
Is your friend in Australia? I've seen Agon ad for the pre.

If I were considering the pre and have no chance to demo, I would ask myself, are there superior and newer pre for the $$? Components such as capacitors eventually needs replacing due to age so have to factor $$ to update. The pre is a beast so size and weight would concern me in shipping. I'm familiar with TRL so confident it has good SQ. I guess it all boils down to price. You can sell anything at the right price. GL!

aertex

Oct 9, 2014
Yes mate and pre is in Australia. Price is certainly a big question. What is such a pre worth these days...as in what $ would a buyer fork out to get this pre knowing there are numerous excellent pre out there including the TRL Dude at a "reasonable" price new

aertex

Oct 9, 2014
Hey, somebody must know something about TRL GTPR performance and reliability? Anybody want to tell me what they know???

cheers
Alan

Lissnr

May 31, 2012
Native New Yorker
I've looked at that ad in Agon a few times when it showed and had some interest in it because I 'm a faithful customer of Pauls and admire his work so much. I 've been a Dude owner for several years and also have his GT 200 monos which together , as you'd expect, make exceptional synergy. My concern(s) with the 2 piece linestage were the same as yours... Is it really worth rhe considerable expense simply in transport fees ( and anxiety ) as well as the simpler question of how good is it compared to my Dude??? Twice as good? No way... Then how much better for how much considerable effort to get it here? I 'm betting it 's quite amazing, but I don't have to bet with the Dude as I already know IT'S amazing too.
OTOH, even with all that said I know I have the personality where I almost said " the heck with it" and almost went for it anyway as it is such an astounding creation and it seems reasonable to believe it's at least as good as the Dude.., But my last trace of good sense told me it was just a hair too much involved ( not the least of which was my complaining wallet), to make the jump.
It is darn nice though... Damn nice.I don't know if I've 'helped or hurt' your decision process, but good luck to you...

aertex

Oct 9, 2014
Thanks Lissnr for the comments. No, you have not "hurt" the process. I guess in some way I hoped for some TRL owner to provide reason why such a pre amp should not be passed up :) It is such a unique piece for several reasons-even a bit of a technical marvel and dinosor at the same time..I mean who the hell these days makes 2 chassis 100kg linestage only pre-amps that cost multiple 10's of thousands of $-not many. Ah well, I will let the agony prolong for just a bit longer...

Any curent or former TRL GTPR owners out there willing to chip in to tell thier story?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing