Bamboo

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Inspired by this, I placed bamboo under all of my Stillpoints. Large IKEA Atptitlig cutting boards went under the Ultra SS used under all my components. Bamboo drink coasters purchased from Bed, Bath and Beyond went under the Ultra SS affixed to the bottom of my speakers. Bamboo drink coasters also went under the Stillpoints cones used under my turntable, and some additional bamboo cutting boards went under the Stillpoints cones under both my MIT speaker cable network boxes and my Quantum QBase.

I got a very significant upgrade from all this bamboo that's far bigger than one would expect from such a modest investment. In all I spent about $125 total on bamboo.

Seems to me that the bamboo helps the Stillpoints do a better job of transferring energy. The MDF shelves in my audiophile rack had been doing harm. Also having the Ultra SS under my speakers rest directly on the carpet wasn't a good move at all.

The material upon what Stillpoints rest appears to me to effect how well they perform. Bamboo can enhance their performance, and seems to do so without shifting tonal balance or adversely coloring the sound (as best as I can hear). I inserted the bamboo several weeks ago and am still amazed by the significance of the improvements. What impresses me most is how much more dynamic punch there is since adding bamboo. Stringed instruments benefit too - especially acoustic guitar and bass. Also, surprisingly, there has been a lowering of the noise floor. I'm guessing that's the result of less extraneous energy being reflected back in via the Stillpoints.

Consider giving bamboo a try. You may be surprised by how much better your Stillpoints perform.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
I honestly think it is Great when I read a post like this.
The fine balance of the pieces make the total result.
zz.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Bamboo is a very interesting material. When resin impregnated it is very stiff but retains a lot of self damping because of the internal structure of the capillaries. Nature's own nanotech fiber composite. Our own Gary Kho of Genesis used "Plyboo" on a speaker he designed recently to reportedly very good effect. I can think of two other loudspeaker manufacturers that use it too.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
very cool! Thanks for that. I use HRS nimbus couplers with my Ultra 5s on a number of my components, so I think I know where you may be coming from. I will definitely keep your idea in mind!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I honestly think it is Great when I read a post like this.
The fine balance of the pieces make the total result.
zz.

+1

Enoch Root

Oct 8, 2014
Tiverton, RI
Oh yeah!

I too read the Audio Beat article and bought some Ikea bamboo. Most cost effective tweak I've ever tried.

If your components are now coupled to MDF, you must try bamboo. Seriously.

andi

Apr 9, 2012
Germany
Hi,

I bought two Aptitlig boards ( around 40 US$) and use them under my Thöress pre and Bryston poweramp.

Between the components and the board I use BDR cones as I did before.
There is really a big difference in sound.
Better?
In the moment I think so. Less glare and tighter bass.

Thanks to bring this tweak back to my mind.

BR
Andreas

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing