Here's yet another contrarian opinion from me. We are in a Golden Age.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Well I agree that this is the Golden Age of Audio but for none of the reasons listed in the article. First, gear is just getting better and second, we have so many options for finding new music and artists.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Well I agree that this is the Golden Age of Audio but for none of the reasons listed in the article. First, gear is just getting better and second, we have so many options for finding new music and artists.

I agree with finding artists and better gear but one of my reasons was the gear getting better (see technology section).

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
It absolutely is the Golden Age. Except for 70s when I got my first HiFi system, this is the most happy I have been with this hobby. Computer audio and portability of music (streaming and otherwise) is the biggest factor for me. We are fortunate to be living during this era.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
If Charles Dickens were alive he would say "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times" for audio. :)

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
It absolutely is the Golden Age. Except for 70s when I got my first HiFi system, this is the most happy I have been with this hobby. Computer audio and portability of music (streaming and otherwise) is the biggest factor for me. We are fortunate to be living during this era.

Agreed. :)

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
If Charles Dickens were alive he would say "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times" for audio. :)

Great quote and applicable in several ways.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I believe that every age is the golden age of audio, some are just more gold than others. Today is just a slice of all things "golden." :) I would say that the day of MC30s, Bozaks and the first stereo RCAs and Mercs was more golden than today's headphone thing or computer audio thing. Let's define golden age... I would assert that it's a time when more devices sound good out of all the devices available. That would be the 50s and 60s in my opinion. I am not saying that a system or device from that time would be sonically superior to a device from today, just that the ratio of good to bad would be higher.

Lee, you forgot to mention in the social networking "thing" the largest social network... youtube. In fact, youtube is largest "distributor" of music in the world today. Youtube reaches outside of established audio networks due to "serve ups" and right column suggested videos; magazines, forums, ezines, and facebook likes have defined user populations.

It was a nice article :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
In the strict sense of the word we are not in a Golden Age - I think we are very far from it. Golden Age would imply stability, untroubled times and prosperity, all for the happiness of the music lover. We have format wars, a ferocious and competitive technological evolution, a lack of standards and a general acceptance that easiness of use is more important than absolute quality, with a few exceptions that fight for high quality sound reproduction. IMHO WBF is just a proof we are not in a Golden Age.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Lee, you forgot to mention in the social networking "thing" the largest social network... youtube. In fact, youtube is largest "distributor" of music in the world today. Youtube reaches outside of established audio networks due to "serve ups" and right column suggested videos; magazines, forums, ezines, and facebook likes have defined user populations.

It was a nice article :)

Thanks Peter and yep youtube has played a large role.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com

Lee,
I agree that in some ways this is the golden age of audio. It is an amazing time for the sound quality of the gear being manufactured. There are more quality products today than there ever have been.
That is the good news however there is much more bad news in my opinion.
I believe that the lack of business acumen is going to lead to the death of audio as we knew it and perhaps the entire industry.
The business model to actually sell audio and service the audio customer has eroded to the point that it is no longer a viable business model for most dealers.
The dealers are making money as contractors, integrators and service providers however the money is not being made, particularly in the USA , on the sale of audio components.
The consumers may benefit as far as price is concerned by the internet, its certainly a good time to be a reviewer with the never ending line up of expensive toys to play with for free, however there are less quality stores and the stores there are moving away from audio because it is not a viable business model.
The costs of running a high end store dont make sense at any level.
I think the whole bubble will totally burst in the next decade.
This may turn out good for mail order sales but I don think this never ending production of high end products can continue.
I think enjoy it now for the end of the golden age is surely coming.

The economic indicators on almost all the new technologies are not good.
The public really doesn't care and the "audiophile" community is aged and loosing its desire and economic ability to support this escalating price rise.
If you ask most manufacturers and dealers whats really happening the Pollyanna show babble disappears and the sharp edge of reality comes through.

The golden age of Audio was in the 70's, along with the decade of great music and the ability to enjoy and have fun with it.
Just my opinion.....Sadly it has disappeared
Out... Peace

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I think in terms of music delivery, this is very much a Golden Age period. Never before has the consumer had such a wide choice in terms in bringing the music to them.
With regard to the music itself that's being created today I don't have that same outlook. Hopefully another Golden Age will come, but now isn't it.
Speaking from the average-Joe perspective and not from they with uber-expensive tastes and their ability to procure the products, this may very well be a Golden Age period. Quality, price-friendly gear can be purchased from Internet-only companies and several major manufacturers are creating products that doesn't require a second-mortgage. If you make the gear financially accessible the buyers will come and I think they are.

BobM

Feb 5, 2014
Long Island, NY
We are in a golden age because so much good vintage equipment is still available for fairly low cost. Or maybe that is my nostalgia kicking in.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Lee,
I agree that in some ways this is the golden age of audio. It is an amazing time for the sound quality of the gear being manufactured. There are more quality products today than there ever have been.
I believe that the lack of business acumen is going to lead to the death of audio as we knew it and perhaps the entire industry.
The business model to actually sell audio and service the audio customer has eroded to the point that it is no longer a viable business model for most dealers.
The dealers are making money as contractors, integrators and service providers however the money is not being made, particularly in the USA , on the sale of audio components.
The consumers may benefit as far as price is concerned by the internet, its certainly a good time to be a reviewer with the never ending line up of expensive toys to play with for free, however there are less quality stores and the stores there are moving away from audio because it is not a viable business model.
This may turn out good for mail order sales but I don think this never ending production of high end products can continue.

The public really doesn't care and the "audiophile" community is aged and loosing its desire and economic ability to support this escalating price rise.
If you ask most manufacturers and dealers whats really happening the Pollyanna show babble disappears and the sharp edge of reality comes through.

The golden age of Audio was in the 70's, along with the decade of great music and the ability to enjoy and have fun with it.
Out... Peace

Elliot,

I agree on most of your good points - unfortunately high quality is not enough to establish a Golden Age period.

Perhaps we could have forseen a possibility of Audio Golden Age if the recording industry had embraced multi channel - predictable and assured high quality for everyone, but it did not happen.

Quoted from the Golden Age entry at wikipedia " By extension "Golden Age" denotes a period of primordial peace, harmony, stability, and prosperity"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Age

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Lee,

Out... Peace

Elliot,

You make some good points here and I know you know the dealer side very well. I am a bit more optimistic as I think a case can be made that the business is changing to be more centered around portable audio and computer audio. I'd have to agree that I don't know where this leaves the dealer.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
We are in a golden age because so much good vintage equipment is still available for fairly low cost. Or maybe that is my nostalgia kicking in.

I got a great deal on a Ref 3. :)

BobM

Feb 5, 2014
Long Island, NY
For many of us, there is no "reaching" for those magazine reviewed $10-20-30 thousand dollar pieces. There is only 5-10+ year old trickle down's that used to be state of the art in their prime. The good news is that many of them are still damn fine pieces of equipment for 50% or less than their original cost. Taking audio inflation into account, that's likely a 70% discount over a currently produced similar brand new piece for sale.

Nostalgia or golden age of used equipment for sale?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

I just picked up a Marantz PM-KI-Pearl for considerably less than 50% off. Life is good! :D

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
From my albeit non-lofty vantage point I'd say this age is pretty darn golden. Ridiculous pricing be damned, there are many paths out there to great sound for reasonable $$. I started out with a modest Dynaco/AR/Dual system in 1969 with very limited funds and a tiny LP collection. As great as it seemed at the time, what I sit and listen to today is beyond incredible, at least to me it is and it didn't cost in the six figure realm. I now have the ability to sit in my listening chair and remotely select from 4000 FLAC files (are you kidding me?)...or I can actually get up and flip the LP over to side B. I even have a rebuilt RtoR I can always fire up in a fit of nostalgia. The internet makes music selection almost limitless and of course you've got download capability. Golden age...I'm thinking yes...just like the predominate color on the front of my shorts :D

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
For many of us, there is no "reaching" for those magazine reviewed $10-20-30 thousand dollar pieces. There is only 5-10+ year old trickle down's that used to be state of the art in their prime. The good news is that many of them are still damn fine pieces of equipment for 50% or less than their original cost. Taking audio inflation into account, that's likely a 70% discount over a currently produced similar brand new piece for sale.

Nostalgia or golden age of used equipment for sale?

This is an excellent point. My Ref 3 is amazing and I got it for 40% off and it is mint condition. I'm sure the Ref5SE is even better but I'm happy.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing