Shindo Latour vs Classic Audio T-1 Reference vs DeVore Fidelity Orangutan O/96

bgupton

Sep 23, 2014
San Francisco, CA
I have another thread going about tube friendly speakers, but wanted to post this about 3 specific options I'm considering.

Since I'm moving into a much bigger house in November, I'll finally have a room big enough for "big" speaker and sound I've always wanted.

I'm really intrigued by really high efficiency speakers paired with simple high quality amps. While I'm also considering other options, I'd love to put together a mostly Shindo system. I've set aside the budget over the next six months to make this happen, though that will require being patient for good deals on used equipment to pop up for at least some of this.

Of these speakers, I've only spent time with the DeVore O/96's. I fell in love with the sound at first. Madly in love. Tons of depth and tone to die for. My only concern was how it handled "thicker" music. It seemed to kick butt when there were just a few instruments playing, but got muddy when there was a lot of thick bass and instrumentation (I use the first track of The Cure's "Disintegration" to test this).

I listen to a lot of shoegazey bands and a lot of more modern rock with a thick wall of sound. I'm not sure if what I heard on the O/96's was due to the amp it was paired with or the smallish room it was in (I was listening a bit loud as usual).

Haven't ruled the O/96's out. At $12K per pair, they are the bargain of these three speakers and would allow me to get higher end Shindo amps more quickly. There isn't a ton out there on the Shindo Latour's, but most who have heard them seem to believe that (equipped with the field coil drivers & paired with Shindo stuff) it's the best speaker out there. Not sure how readily these pop up on the used market, but I can be patient or spring for something new and go with less expensive Shindo amps for now (upgrade later).

Then there's the Classic Audio T-1, which is probably more readily available on the used market and also has the Field Coil drivers. Never heard these speakers and not sure where I could even do that.

Anyone hear one or more of these speakers who can explain their sound and sonic differences?

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I'm a big fan of DeVore speakers. Given your tastes and perceptions of the O/96's, you may want to consider the DeVore Silverbacks which are a great match with Shindo. I've heard the Classic Audio at shows and they've never appealed to my tastes...as always; the caveat of show conditions. Never heard the Shindo Latours. Good luck.

bgupton

Sep 23, 2014
San Francisco, CA
I'm a big fan of DeVore speakers. Given your tastes and perceptions of the O/96's, you may want to consider the DeVore Silverbacks which are a great match with Shindo. I've heard the Classic Audio at shows and they've never appealed to my tastes...as always; the caveat of show conditions. Never heard the Shindo Latours. Good luck.

I've not heard the Silverbacks. They don't seem very beefy though. Are these considered a step up from the O/96's?

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I've not heard the Silverbacks. They don't seem very beefy though. Are these considered a step up from the O/96's?

To my ears, they are a bit more refined and might be be the solution to the muddiness you perceived with the O/96's. Might be worth contacting John DeVore who is very approachable and could probably direct you to the most appropriate speaker in his line...

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I like the silverbacks a tad better than the O/96s as well, while the latter sound more fleshed out and fuller, I guess they could also be more coloured.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I watched that review...and thought it was great. Thanks for doing that. I was intrigued after reading that Atmasphere really likes these speakers as well. someone was asking his opinion on speakers.

Check out the T-1 review:

http://www.avshowrooms.com/Classic_Audio_Speakers.html

I don't think there is a better speaker for midrange magic. One of the listening sessions at Bob's ranks in my lifetime top ten. That's saying something.

View attachment 17607

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing