Tube Friendly "Big" high end speakers

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
The Focal Grande Utopia EM use MDF panels up to 2" thick - do you also object to them?

I'm not really a fan. Tidal I believe also builds mega-buck speakers with MDF. I think in 2014, we have moved on to much better materials than a decade ago. YMMV and all that stuff.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I guess I'm with Keith here, most of what I've read and heard from speaker designers suggests that MDF may be the best for the price, but otherwise has a number of disadvantages.

Probably you read and heard from the speaker designers who do not use MDF. ;)

Speaker manufacturers such as B&W, Focal, Zellaton and Nola present valid reasons why they prefer MDF for their very expensive speakers. Although I also love the idea of fancy materials and shapes, I could not read in their proponents any real reason why I should prefer their solution. Specially because the properties of the materials are presented in a way to be understood by children, ignoring the important technical and subjective parameters, and are mainly used as a marketing argument.

IMHO in speaker box materials and design we have many alternatives and the important thing is the final result - any prejudice will only create some kind of bias expectation, either positive or negative.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Have you considered Tannoy Cantebury SE?

Oh, no Peter! Are you speaking seriously? ;) As far as I remember Tannoy's were build from particle board and fiberboard - not even MDF! :)

But yes, Tannoy's can be very enjoyable in adequate systems. Long ago I was offered a pair of Westminster's for a very low price, but unfortunately they were too large for my house ...

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I'm not quite ready to write the DeVore's off yet. I loved the sound on 95% of what I threw at it.

That's pretty darn good.

Be careful about "getting" the final 5%.

Could get very expensive for minimal gains.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
:)

You are lucky to have a big and fantastic room. TAD's Reference 1 Speaker would be great. Wilson MAXX series 3 would be fantastic too !
I have experience with Audio Research on both speakers. The TAD as well as the Wilson's work flawlessly with the Reference 75 Amplifier. 75WPC.
I have both speakers on special. Both speakers will fill your requirements.

Call me at ********

Any other dealers want to chime in with special offers? Speakers for the select few?

Vapor1

Oct 19, 2012
St Louis, MO
www.vaporsound.com
I guess I'm with Keith here, most of what I've read and heard from speaker designers suggests that MDF may be the best for the price, but otherwise has a number of disadvantages.

It does have a LOT of disadvantages. The advantages are it's cheap, easy to machine, and it very flat so it can be painted.

If you're ever in a higher end woodshop, throw a piece of MDF on the vacuum table CNC machine. Air passes through it like it's not even there! Just about every CNC operator uses a sheet of MDF as the wasteboard, a piece that goes under what you're cutting that can be thrown away once chewed up. Reason being, air passes right through it and the vacuum will still hold down the board on top of it.

Other bad about MDF - doesn't hold a screw and screws loosen over time, it's very compressible (very low Rockwell hardness) and mounting drivers to something soft/squishy hurts transient attack, low tensile strength needs to be compensated for by laminating multiple layers together and once you start mounting drivers in 2-3" thick baffles the tunnel they're housed in starts to resonate.

... since I'm a manufacturer who doesn't use MDF, feel free to take that all with a grain of salt.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I am using the Nola Concert Grand Gold Reference and they don't come more tube friendly. Spectacular speakers and the best I have ever owned. Running them with a "lowly" REF75 with KT150s and REF10. Simple setup (except the weight), very accurate and imaging to die for. Plus a sense of intimacy I have never experienced from a large speaker. I have owned large speakers in the past, have never been happy as I usually find myself gravitating towards a smaller monitor type speaker. The CGR are as accurate and dynamic at all SPLs which I love. Truly remarkable speaker. I have had them for close to a year and have never looked back. Definitely worth a listen if you want a big tube friendly tube speaker. This is what they were designed for. OH and by the way, the REF75 with KT150 NEVER runs out of power and I have mine in a 30x24 room, although I will soon be trying the new GS150 amp.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
These off course , i heard a lot of so called high eff / easy to drive speakers at a dealer last week , no contest , these sound extremely stable and can sound huge if asked for on all kinds of music , not like some " high end designs " which will only sound good with small ensembles/ voices but are in fact very limited in daily use , and much of the coherence falls apart , these are to speak with cowboy " Frank " in the movie : once upon a time in the west , The end of the Line
They will be in the 55K - 60 K euro price range though new, no direct sale
DSC_0126 by andromeda61, on Flickr

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing