Any (other) tape at next weeks RMAF 2014?

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
Steve Norber of PranaFidelity will potentially have 3 tape listening "options" in room 517: His Technics 1500 with a Nortronics PB headblock wired-out to my K/C preamp; a second "wired-out" Flux Magnetics PB headblock, and a separate "stock" 1500 from J-corder. After hours "games are encouraged".

My K/C is a prototype unit that in addition to its stock playback function, can also be used as a "one pass" tape dupe record amplifier - taking the input directly from the PB head on the playback machine and feeding a signal to the output section of the record deck - bypassing and simplifying the stock, "two sets of electronics" (PB and record) with one preamp/EQ/amp.

Charles

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Hey!
Now, that's interesting :p

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Any pics?

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
OK - Let's see,

Am still in Boulder - back home late tonight - will look for some photos and post what I find.

After a hectic start Thursday Evening / Friday morning, things went well. Steven's electronics and speakers continued to "open up" especially on Sat and Sun. Great dynamics/tonality/imaging.

And we had quite the tapes to "audition". Lyn Stanley brought her newest release "Potions" (a tribute to jazz classics from the 50's) - a second generation (I believe) tape version she made (and was selling) 10 copies of. We also had the reel version of Vanessa Fernandez's latest release; "Use Me". This tape was especially interesting as Ying Tan of Groove Note Records brought along a test pressing of the 45RPM album version he is releasing shortly, so we got to "A/B" the tape versus the LP on Steven'e Kuzima TT/Arm - Denon D103(I?). I'll let you figure the tape/LP "results". WOW

Interesting comparison between the two Technics Headblocks. Mine with the Nortronics head wired "directly out to RCAs" (with Cello silver/Litz shielded cable) versus a Flux magnetics - wired out to RCA's on the back of the Technics - from there to and then to my K/C using a selection of interconnects (don't remember which). As you can imagine, the frequence balance differed between the two headblocks, as their inductance differed, but both presented pleasing sound which differed again when we changed interconnects to the Flux headblock.

Once again I did hear (and others remarked) that the Nortronics had better dimensionality and more "air" than the Flux.

Also played some tapes on my Cellovox in the Audio Note room. Not sure if there was any other tape at the show. More later.

Charles

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing