RMAF 2014 - rooms and set-ups

Mark Seaton

WBF Technical Expert (Speaker & Acoustics)
May 21, 2010
Chicago, IL
www.seatonsound.net
I was in this room today and found it quite impressive. The speakers aren't the eye candy that some are, but the imaging, depth and soundstage were among the best of any room I heard today. Very impressive.

Hi MiTT,

Thank you for making it by the room and very good to hear you enjoyed the sound. It was fun to show how a different approach can deliver fun and impressive results. A premium finish certainly photographs and shows better. We'll see what I can come up with for next year.

I decided to demonstrate only about 4 weeks before the show, and didn't quite have time to have rosenut or other premium finishes ready for the show while I stock the black finishes. I had the rosenut Catalyst 12Cs at Axpona last year. As you note, a finish upgrade still won't make these 16" wide speakers the sexy works of art from some of the big names, but certainly a little more interesting.

12C's and our SubMersive F2+ subwoofer in a customer's home:

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Mark your room has been getting positive comments all over the 'Net. Your enthusiasm and industriousness is paying off :)

Jaguar

Aug 2, 2010
Bellevue, WA
RMAF 2014

This year saw the largest show turnout since 2011, despite what was a seemingly low turnout for the What's Best crowd. I would say I probably enjoy the Newport show a bit more (hard to beat a trip to the So Cal beach). The products I found interesting included Raidho, Voce Audio and Mosaic Audio (assuming Mosaic wasn't playing one of several bad recordings on their server).

FYI - Frontier Airlines - officially the worst Airline still in business!

Round trip carry on baggage fees: $80 (not for an additional carry on, but a single carry on)
Food and Drink: not even a glass of soda and bag of peanuts unless you whip out your credit card.
Timeliness: flights late each way.
Plane condition: return flight was on the oldest, dirtiest, most worn out plane I've flown on in my lifetime.

Frontier is clearly a company run by execs looking to boost short-term profits, raid the pension and leave the mess for someone else. Never again.

Last edited:

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
RMAF 2014

This year saw the largest show turnout since 2011, despite what was a seemingly low turnout for the What's Best crowd. I would say I probably enjoy the Newport show a bit more (hard to beat a trip to the So Cal beach). The products I found interesting included Raidho, Voce Audio and Mosaic Audio (assuming Mosaic wasn't playing one of the bad recordings on their server).

FYI - Frontier Airlines - officially the worst Airline still in business!

Round trip carry on baggage fees: $80 (not for an additional carry on, but a single carry on)
Food and Drink: not even a glass of soda and bag of peanuts unless you whip out your credit card.
Timeliness: flights late each way.
Plane condition: return flight was on the oldest, dirtiest, most worn out plane I've flown on in my lifetime.

Frontier is clearly a company run by execs looking to boost short-term profits, raid the pension and leave the mess for someone else. Never again.

Apparently your experience was very different from mine. A checked bag was $25; I think a carry on is either $30 or $35. The planes were reasonably clean, no trash in the seat pockets and no torn or worn seats, and my knees weren't pressed up against the seat in front of me. Sure, a soft drink costs $2, but so what. Service was efficient and friendly. The flights were delayed due to the recent air traffic control system sabotage at O'Hare, not Frontier's fault.

No, the worst airline by far in my experience has been Spirit. Hopelessly disorganized, rape you on luggage fees, very tightly spaced seat rows with little or no reclining, dirty, and late. Rude all around.

I'd fly Frontier again. Never again Spirit.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
This is the title of Stereophile coverage of the Wislon Audio Sasha 2 / VTL / DCS/ Transparent Audio / Nordost system at RMAF 2014. http://www.stereophile.com/content/rmaf-2014-another-class-entirely

Opinions from WBF members?

Don't want to offend any Wilson owners and I know you are such but you did ask - cough! cough! I was chuckling reading that and don't agree but it's his opinion, the writing sure gets you excited though. I visited all three days on numerous occasions leaving with the same impressions.

Here are some pics for you

20141011_102706.jpg

20141011_102523.jpg

Jaguar

Aug 2, 2010
Bellevue, WA
Apparently your experience was very different from mine. A checked bag was $25; I think a carry on is either $30 or $35. The planes were reasonably clean, no trash in the seat pockets and no torn or worn seats, and my knees weren't pressed up against the seat in front of me. Sure, a soft drink costs $2, but so what. Service was efficient and friendly. The flights were delayed due to the recent air traffic control system sabotage at O'Hare, not Frontier's fault.

Sure, Spirit is lousy (I've never flown them, but I've heard), but I'm not interested in giving a company credit for being less lousy. The attendants were fine on my flight and as is usually the case probably just victims of their management.

Airlines more than any other companies have steadily been abusing customers over the past few decades with poor customer service. Charging an additional 25% of the ticket price for a single bag I had to carry onto the plane myself is a new low...25% increase in the ticket price...and tells me they don't care about the experience I have as a customer. Now Southwest is by no means a luxury experience, but at least they show an effort to achieve quality management. Take a gander over on Yelp in Denver to get a feel for what 600 other people thought (62% one star) about them and see where their reputation comes from. Wish I did that before buying on Expedia. From now on it's Alaska Airlines for me, but regardless of which you choose I'm glad to let everyone know what to expect.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/frontier-airlines-denver-4?osq=spirit+airlines

Regarding the Wilson, I don't remember this room standing out. They had about half a million dollars of gear in that system, so for that much the sound should have been very memorable. However, the Wilson stand-mounted monitors (which I've never seen before) in another high-end room were impressive.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing